Phenom x4 Temps??

aviation_man

I linked you the arctic cooler, tons of people use it with a lot of success.

Why are you overclocking VIA the bus speed instead of the multiplier? When you OC via the bus you are also overclocking the Ram, the north bridge, and hypertransport speed. Your system will become unstable faster this way unless you turn those down in the Bios. Use the multiplier to overclock and all the other settings stay the same, it's far simpler to overclock when you have a black edition, so use it!
From the tons of reviews I read, you should be able to take the multiplier to 14 on the stock voltage (2.8ghz). Even if you have to bump voltage .050 volts to do it, the stock cooler should still handle that easily. Stock coolers typically handle a 10% overclock with a slight increase in voltage. Just keep the CPU below 60c and you'll be fine. Nothing stresses the CPU like prime 95 so run that for a couple hours and if it doesn't go over 60c nothing else with make it go over.

Ok I uped the multiplier and the temps seem fine. But when I run Prime 95, the temps get up to 63C after about 2 minutes. I stopped the test cause 64C for my 9950 is MAX and I didn't want to push it anymore. :|
I tried running Prime 95 my brothers Artic Cooler his clock speed is default, not OC'ed and when I ran the test (Both tests using HWMonitor) his temps reached 63C after about 7-8minutes. These Phenoms get hot man... So I guess the Artic Cooler wouldn't be so swell after all, since it can't even run Prime95 for an extensive amount of time on a default clock speed :( Over all the Artic Cooler works just a tad bit better than stock.

Last edited:

87dtna

The arctic freezer is a lot better than stock, plus if you get Arctic silver that sometimes helps a ton too.
Honestly I think something is wrong with your brothers setup. Perhaps he put too much paste on, or he's using the stock paste which is usually junk. The 9950 should not overheat at all at stock clocks even with the stock heatsink. It really shouldn't get over 50c at stock clocks.
Combo-

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.248872

Last edited:

aviation_man

The arctic cooler is a lot better than stock, plus if you get Arctic silver that sometimes helps a ton too.

That was the Arctic Cooler I just told you about with all the temps and what not in my previous post.
Yeah I'll order some arctic silver soon..

aviation_man

The arctic freezer is a lot better than stock, plus if you get Arctic silver that sometimes helps a ton too.
Honestly I think something is wrong with your brothers setup. Perhaps he put too much paste on, or he's using the stock paste which is usually junk. The 9950 should not overheat at all at stock clocks even with the stock heatsink. It really shouldn't get over 50c at stock clocks.
Combo-

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.248872

So do you really think that the Arctic cooler is a good HSF for overclocking on the 9950? And do you also think that the thermal paste makes that much of a difference? I think he put on the pre-applied stuff.

aviation_man

Something you've used on an AMD chip? It looks good. I'm not sure if my PSU would get in the way, or if my RAM would get in the way.

StrangleHold

Staff member
Something you've used on an AMD chip? It looks good. I'm not sure if my PSU would get in the way, or if my RAM would get in the way.

Used two or three, got one on mine now. Good cooler. It clears my Northbridge, PSU and memory. But if you have the tall coolers shields on your memory or a case side fan directly across from it you could have a problem. Its a pretty tall cooler.

aviation_man

Those temps look good. Does it sound like a leaf blower or is it pretty quiet? I'm not looking for the most silent CPU, I just don't want it to sound like a jet engine ;)

87dtna

Looks like a larger freezer pro.

The thermal compound can make a huge difference, I've seen as much as 10c.

87dtna

The V8 is one of the best air coolers. You pretty much get what you pay for when it comes to coolers.