Phenom x4 Temps??

aviation_man

My mobo is 39C.. That's odd.
Anyway, I OC'ed it by 10% and I'm now at 2860Mhz - same temps.:good:
Bus speed is at 220MHz. Knocked a total of 4 seconds off of my Super Pi rating.. :D

Fatback

VIP Member
My mobo is 39C.. That's odd.
Anyway, I OC'ed it by 10% and I'm now at 2860Mhz - same temps.:good:
Bus speed is at 220MHz. Knocked a total of 4 seconds off of my Super Pi rating.. :D

I though you where going to wait to OC lol. Your mobo temps seem right how is it odd?

I had mine a 2.8ghz and 2mins into prime95 I got a BSOD so I took it to 2.7ghz 5 hours of prime95 nothing so I was like ok it's stable. The I start getting BSOD's so I run prime95 again and 3hours in I get a BSOD. So I took it back down to 2.6 and ran prime95 for a whole day now it's stable.

aviation_man

Guys, 70C means that you left the plastic on the bottom of the heatsink ... my story.

I though you where going to wait to OC lol. Your mobo temps seem right how is it odd?

I had mine a 2.8ghz and 2mins into prime95 I got a BSOD so I took it to 2.7ghz 5 hours of prime95 nothing so I was like ok it's stable. The I start getting BSOD's so I run prime95 again and 3hours in I get a BSOD. So I took it back down to 2.6 and ran prime95 for a whole day now it's stable.

Nah. I decided to do it now. Cause my mobo temp idle is 5C more than yours...

That's when you raised the voltages? I thought 2.6 is default clock speed for yours...

Fatback

VIP Member
Nah. I decided to do it now. Cause my mobo temp idle is 5C more than yours...

That's when you raised the voltages? I thought 2.6 is default clock speed for yours...

Yea but I might have better airflow I do have 7 80MM fans in my case lol.

The default for my CPU is 2.3GHz I went to 2.6Ghz with out raising volts. I could probably get to 2.8 with a little raise of the voltages but I don't want any higher temps.

aviation_man

Yea but I might have better airflow I do have 7 80MM fans in my case lol.

The default for my CPU is 2.3GHz I went to 2.6Ghz with out raising volts. I could probably get to 2.8 with a little raise of the voltages but I don't want any higher temps.

lol I have 4 80mm fans and 2, 90mm fans in mine.. :D

I would presume that mine is stable since I didn't raise the voltages right?
What temps are you getting with that V8 at 100% CPU usage?

Last edited:

Fatback

VIP Member
lol I have 4 80mm fans and 2, 90mm fans in mine.. :D

I would presume that mine is stable since I didn't raise the voltages right?

No you should still run prime95 at least for 6hours the more the better. You only OCed 200mhz so I'm sure your fine but you never know. It's hard to explain how overclocking works and after 4years of doing it I still don't know how it all works.

aviation_man

No you should still run prime95 at least for 6hours the more the better. You only OCed 200mhz so I'm sure your fine but you never know. It's hard to explain how overclocking works and after 4years of doing it I still don't know how it all works.

Ok. I looked around and the Phenom x4 9950 Max temp should be 64C, so if it stays under that I should be fine. I think I'm going to get the V8 for my HSF soon. I'm glad I got the Black Edition :D
What's your temp with the V8 on your processor?

Last edited:

Fatback

VIP Member
Ok. I looked around and the Phenom x4 9950 Max temp should be 64C, so if it stays under that I should be fine. I think I'm going to get the V8 for my HSF soon. I'm glad I got the Black Edition :D
What's your temp with the V8 on your processor?

I have never used a V8 on a Phenom I but I have used it on a Phenom II 955 and with stock clocks it was idle around 32C this was in a Antec 1200 case. I use the V8 on the i7 a lot and it keeps them very cool around 35C idle most of the time.

aviation_man

I have never used a V8 on a Phenom I but I have used it on a Phenom II 955 and with stock clocks it was idle around 32C this was in a Antec 1200 case. I use the V8 on the i7 a lot and it keeps them very cool around 35C idle most of the time.

That's pretty good. My brother has the Artic Cooler (the one you linked me), and his Phenom x4 9950 and his stays at 32C idle.

Fatback

VIP Member
Someone did. lol. Anyway, that's what I was thinking :p The V8 does look cool, but it's like 30$ more bucks.. heh.

Yea it does look cool but if you can get something that is going to do the same thing and cost less then why not. Not only that but the V8 is huge about 6.2" tall.

87dtna

I linked you the arctic cooler, tons of people use it with a lot of success.

Why are you overclocking VIA the bus speed instead of the multiplier? When you OC via the bus you are also overclocking the Ram, the north bridge, and hypertransport speed. Your system will become unstable faster this way unless you turn those down in the Bios. Use the multiplier to overclock and all the other settings stay the same, it's far simpler to overclock when you have a black edition, so use it!
From the tons of reviews I read, you should be able to take the multiplier to 14 on the stock voltage (2.8ghz). Even if you have to bump voltage .050 volts to do it, the stock cooler should still handle that easily. Stock coolers typically handle a 10% overclock with a slight increase in voltage. Just keep the CPU below 60c and you'll be fine. Nothing stresses the CPU like prime 95 so run that for a couple hours and if it doesn't go over 60c nothing else with make it go over.

87dtna

Here's a pic of the GeminII cooler in my old setup, I don't have any pics of the new setup but here's a great before and after for you to get an idea how wide it is-

Before with a cooler from a 9600be (probably one of the best and largest stock coolers)
Insidestock.jpg

After with the GeminII-
Insidenew.jpg

And here's a comparison of 3 HSF's. First one is the GeminII obviously, second is the 9600be again, and third is a stock HSF from a phenom II 710 triple core.

Coolers.jpg