Picking A LapTop

Geoff

VIP Member
They have new coupons all the time, on the 29th they will either keep the current coupon going, or add a different one, which may even be better.

And go with the Dell. The Core 2 Duo and 7900GS are alot better if you want to game.

macnoob

[-0MEGA-];612578 said:
They have new coupons all the time, on the 29th they will either keep the current coupon going, or add a different one, which may even be better.

And go with the Dell. The Core 2 Duo and 7900GS are alot better if you want to game.

dont they crash easy?honestly i hadadell an it didnt workwell, just big big software problems at first then parts broke, am i the only one?

Geoff

VIP Member
The Dell i've had for almost a year hasnt crashed. It runs great, perfectly stable, durable, and was fairly cheap.

HumanMage

You linked the G2 by Asus, I wouldnt buy that, for graphics power its kinda week. It is a 17' laptop with only a x1700. You can buy a sager or compal 17 inch with a 7950 graphics card for maybe 200 or so more. If that is too much, the G1 is a smaller one about the same price but you get the same graphics card. But I am just looking from a graphics stand point.

I dont know if you wanted to buy the G2 or any of that but I thought I'd just ramble :rolleyes:

cryption

taken from www.powernotebooks.com

Virtually none of the "Name" brands manufacture their own laptops, with the about the only exception being Asus.

Instead they buy their laptops from what is called an Original Design Manufacturer (ODM). These ODMs sell their computers to several different OEMs (like DELL, Toshiba, Lenovo (formerly IBM), HP, Compaq, Sager, PowerPro, Sony and many others) who then install the Hard Drive (usually a Seagate, Fujitsu, Hitachi or Toshiba), an Intel or AMD Processor, and System Memory. They then put their label on it and market it.

For example:

An ODM named Clevo makes the Sager NP9890 and the Alienware Area-51 m7700, the Voodoo Envy u:703, the Hypersonic Aviator EX7, the Falcon Northwest FragBook DR 6800, and they are all the same computer (although Sager usually has the more advanced and exotic technology).

Of course the Sager models have a much sweeter price tag!

An ODM named Compal makes some of the DELL, Hewlett Packard and Compaq line of laptops, among others, as well as the PowerPro L 8:15 (Built on Compal HEL80).

ASUS, famous worldwide for their top quality motherboards and other components makes their own laptops and call them their "Ensemble" line. They also sell their "Built-on-ASUS" line to many different OEMs including PowerNotebooks.com. These models are the PowerNotebooks.com PowerPro A 2:24 (Built on ASUS 96J), the Crown R 6:22 (Built on ASUS Z92Km), the PowerPro P 2:14 (Built on ASUS Z62F), and the Crown C 3:15 (Built on ASUS Z33Ae).

The Dell Latitude and the Sony Vaio are made by Quanta, who also makes many of the IBM laptops, and the now-discontinued PowerPro C 3:16, and the new PowerPro G 3:14 (Built on Quanta SW1). Quanta is well known as one of the best and highest quality laptop ODM in the world.

Other ODM names are Mitac, FIC, AOpen, and Uniwill, among others. Not exactly what you would call "Name" brands, and yet it is their laptops that end up with the "Name" brands on them.

Well, you get the idea.

Some call this the "Dirty little secret of the Laptop Industry".

If you can find something cheaper with the specs you want, don't worry about what brand it is. I can recommend a few placed to shop at (I have bought a few) but I don't know the rules on these forums ... so PM me if you want.

either way good luck with your purchase.

g4m3rof1337

Whats the best fast gaming laptop under $2,000.
If it has to be like 2,100 or something, make sure it has a discount or coupon... to put it in my range.

Cause I can get a pretty basic, upgradeable alienware for 2k wil dual 7900gs's

g4m3rof1337

Staying in my price range, id have to deal with 1gb ram then upgrade to 2gb. then maybe the hdd to, cause its 80gb.

But I want something that flat out pwns...
lol

thanks

cryption

well if you can find an alienware with SLI enabled (with 2 cards) for 2k then for sure go with it, otherwise I tihnk that sager would be your best bet

g4m3rof1337

Would it be worth it though...
Cause I reallly, realllly. want to play halo 2 for vista on the laptop, with good graphics and no lag and stuff...

cryption

that Sager would pimp the hell out of it. You could play Halo 2 for PC on your desktop perfectly.

I have the same video card, albeit a different processor but I can run whatever I want nicely.

g4m3rof1337

Well. I dont really want to play H2V on my desktop.
For two reasons.
I want to play Halo2 on a laptop, in a cafe or something.
And second, I dont want vista on my desktop. Yet.

Does that sager come in good specs, but in a 17'' widescreen?

And does that Dell build seem like it can handle the game?

thanks

g4m3rof1337

How would a Toshiba Satellite P105-S9337

Pretty much the same as the dell. 200gb hdd.

Taken from site.
Toshiba said:
Portable powerhouse. Work and play just about anywhere with the Toshiba Satellite P105S9337 notebook computer. Equipped with integrated wireless technology to keep you in touch while you're on the go, it speeds through programs with a 2.00GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor T7200, operates super-efficiently with Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium, and offers incredible storage capacity on its 200GB SATA hard drive.

Enjoy movies, music, and more--or burn your own discs--on the built-in DVD SuperMulti drive. A large 17" diagonal widescreen TruBrite LCD display provides an exceptional picture, and integrated harman kardon stereo speakers deliver superior sound. The included carrying case makes it easy to tote.

Measures approximately 15-1/2"W x 10-3/4"D x 1-3/8"H.

QVC neither condones nor encourages the use of this, or any similar technology, to acquire unauthorized recordings or copyrighted works; inclusive of, but not limited to, the download of prerecorded media via the Internet.

Wireless capability and use of public wireless locations or hot spots may require a network connection, additional accessories, and a service connection fee.

Access to and use of the Internet may require payment of a separate fee to an Internet Service Provider, DSL line, or more. The download speed experienced with the modem may be slower due to varying line conditions.

Use of Bluetooth Wireless Technology requires Bluetooth software and Bluetooth-compatible accessories. Additional accessories may be required.

Not all DVD-R/-RW and DVD+R/+RW discs are compatible with all DVD-R/-RW and DVD+R/+RW players. Contact the manufacturer for more information.

UL listed. 1-year LMW.

Made in China.

* 2.00GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor T7200
* 17" diagonal widescreen TruBrite TFT active-matrix LCD display with
* 1440x900 WXGA resolution
* Mobile Intel 945GM Express chipset
* 2048MB PC5300 DDR2 memory
* 200GB SATA hard drive
* DVD SuperMulti (+/-R double-layer) drive, supports 11 formats
* Intel Pro Wireless 3945ABG (802.11a/b/g)
* NVIDIA GeForce Go 7900 GS graphics with 256MB GDDR3 SDRAM VRAM
* built-in harman kardon stereo speakers
* Windows Sound System
* v.92 modem
* 10/100/1000 Base-TX ethernet
* Bluetooth version 2.0
* 5-in-1 bridge media adapter: SD, MS, MS Pro, MMC, xD Picture Card
* four USB 2.0 ports
* IEEE 1394 port
* RJ-45 LAN port
* RJ-11 modem port
* RGB monitor output
* S-video output
* DVI-D output
* S/P DIF output
* two memory slots
* ExpressCard slot
* PCMCIA type I/II card slot
* microphone/headphone jacks
* nine-cell lithium-ion battery
* Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium
* MS Office OneNote 2007
* MS Works 8.5
* Toshiba ConfigFree, Game Console software
* carrying case

Enjoihcky24/7

Like...
or something.
PROCESSOR Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T7200 (2.00GHz, 4MB L2 Cache, 667 MHz FSB) edit
OPERATING SYSTEM FREE Upgrade to Genuine Windows Vista™ Home Premium with 1GB of memory edit
LCD PANEL 17 inch Wide Screen XGA+ TFT Display with TrueLife™(glossy) edit
MEMORY 2GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz edit
HARD DRIVE 120GB 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive edit
OPTICAL DRIVE FREE!8x CD/DVD burner (DVD+/-RW) with double-layer DVD+R write capability edit
VIDEO CARD 256MB NVIDIA® GeForce™ Go 7900 GS edit
SOUND OPTIONS Integrated Sound Blaster® Audigy™HD Software Edition edit
My Accessories
BATTERY OPTIONS 6-cell Primary Battery and 9-cell additional Lithium Ion Battery edit
WIRELESS CARDS Dell Wireless 1390b/g (54Mbps)

1902 + tax +FREE shipping. (regular price is 2400)

This should be more than sufficient.

This will run pretty much anything.

I have had a dell laptop (inspiron 9300) for 2 years.It doesn't have nearly as great specs ( nvidia go 6800 256mb card, 1.73 ghz pentium m cpu etc.) and it runs new games quite well. What i have picked out for you should last you a few years.