Picking A LapTop

Geoff

VIP Member
you're getting the more expensive one, but it seems your mind is already made up that more expensive means better.
I agree, I think that the Inspiron E1705 for $1700 with the 7900GS and C2D would be a great system to get.

no you aren't.

Format it the day you buy it.
Dell's usually dont come with too much crap, but other laptops are fully loaded with freeware and trials its not even funny.

cryption

I disagree, respectfully. Dells are by far the worst when it comes to pre-installed software, I've had people come in my shop with a brand new dell running slow. A quick erase of all the Dell shit and it's good as new.

HP are the best of the big brands, and they use quality hardware as opposed to Dells cheap hardware.

Of course we're talking laptops and that's a different game. As I posted before it's all about the ODM who makes it.

I'm telling you, with desktops stick to a name brand is fine .. but laptops are an entirely different world. Get one from a place that deals only with laptops, a boutique as opposed to a "big name". You will be thankful you did.

Geoff

VIP Member
My Dell only came with the Dell software, such as their power management utilities, etc, and just a trial of AOL. However the Acer I had was full of game and ISP trials, and had a weird file system format.

erict

Ditto OMEGA, just got my E1505 a month ago and it didn’t have too much crap on it. I have yet to find that perfect computer out there. My first was a gateway, which I had for 6 years with no problems. Then I upgraded to a new dell computer which I’m using right now and is four years old and never had a problem. And I just bought my first laptop (dell E1505), which I like so far. When researching for a laptop I never saw a brand that didn’t have negative reviews, hence there’s no perfect computer manufacture out there. A lot of customer reviews can be trivial and some you have to take under consideration. In general it seems a lot of people are blind when the purchase a computer. What I mean by this is a lot of people buy a computer without taking in consideration to what they need to run their software at top notch. Instead they buy a bare minimum computer which will still run there software but at a slower pace and then write a negative review because of this when in fact its not the computer. And on the other side of the coin you have people who do their homework and buy a computer that matches their needs. Just my two cents.

Dells are by far the worst when it comes to pre-installed software, I've had people come in my shop with a brand new dell running slow. A quick erase of all the Dell shit and it's good as new.

I agree with that, I don't think many others come with Netzero and Earthlink Desktop icons and promotions on them. Dell even had put Corel Office programs on it(for free, Corel Sucks), My $900 POS Dell probably weighed 5lbs. extra because of all the crap they put on them.

I don't like HP systems, their hardware design usually has a flaw somewhere down the line but, I love their monitors. They keep their monitors simple, no chrome trim that gets dust down in it and looks horrible and the screen cleans easier< don't ask how I acquire this info

Last edited:

g4m3rof1337

Alright...
So I am buying this tomorrow.
Is that cooler good? And double checking...

I can play css, but will it be good?
And will Halo 2 for Vista play well?

And what about Half-Life 2: Deathmatch or whatever comes with CSS

Thanks

g4m3rof1337

''Wireless capability and use of public wireless locations or hot spots may require a network connection, additional accessories, and a service connection fee.''

Whats that mean?

Will I need an accesory or pay someone to access hotspots, at like...starbucks or the bookstore?

And please, check the specs of the toshiba, Since I am buying that tomorrow.
Listed a few pages back.

Thanks

Geoff

VIP Member
It does...?

Then why did I get DoD and HL2-DM
They have lots of different game packages. I bought a package which came with HL2, HL2: Deathmatch, and CSS. They have tons of different packages that you can choose, but if you go to best buy and pick up Counter Strike Source, it only comes with that (maybe 1.6, not sure).

''Wireless capability and use of public wireless locations or hot spots may require a network connection, additional accessories, and a service connection fee.''

Whats that mean?

Will I need an accesory or pay someone to access hotspots, at like...starbucks or the bookstore?
Thanks
It's saying that you need a compatible wireless card to access hotspots. And certain hotspots charge you for access, while others are free.

But keep in mind that some hotspots either dont allot gaming, or the ping may be really unstable and have high jumps whenever someone downloads a file or something.

Geoff

VIP Member
The only real difference between say, the Dell 802.11a/b/g and the Intel Pro Wireless 802.11a/b/g is that the Intel wireless card has better power management and utilizes Centrino. But speed and range wise, there pretty much all the same.