Please help, Got my motherboard replacement, but Im having different problems now,

spirit

Staff member
Both sticks together or individually?

Reset the BIOS back to defaults by moving the BIOS jumper on your board (refer to your motherboard manual), then try again... Then remove your graphics card and try and use the onboard graphics.

I think the issue is either your graphics card or your RAM.

wbt50

I don't think it's the Graphics Card, I've put my graphics card to the side for the tests, I've been using the onboard display.

spirit

Staff member
Right OK so it could be motherboard, PSU or RAM related.

Do you have the standoffs installed underneath the motherboard?

wbt50

Yes,
All the standoffs are in the correct places and nothing is shorting the board, I'm certaint of that.

wbt50

This is all I get when I power on -

The horizontal white line flashes for a second then it goes.
2j60qd5.png

wbt50

How can I reinstall windows ?

I got no display, I can't get into BIOS or anything.

The Picture I showed before was without any hard drives installed, the horizontal line is only visible for a second then dissapears.

spirit

Staff member
So it is POSTing and displaying when you have no hard drives connected. I think the issue could be your SATA controller then in which case there is something wrong with your board.

Sorry I thought the screenshot was what you got with HDDs connected.

wbt50

I have no display at all. Ive connected the drives and it still exacly the same.

Sorry, I might have confused you there, that picture is the same with drives or not.

spirit

Staff member
I assume you get the same issue with a graphics card installed, yes?

This is really confusing me now, I'm not entirely sure what's wrong. Could be a number of things: board, RAM or CPU. Have you tried reseating your CPU? It's worth a try.

wbt50

Yeah, its the same with a graphics card. Is it worth trying to reseat the CPU, since I have a CM hyper 212 evo cooling it and its a pain to install/uninstall and the thermal paste.

I doubt it would be the CPU though since I could use the PC in windows for a short time yesterday.

spirit

Staff member
I think your board is probably the problem... or your RAM. Any chance you can try the RAM in another machine?

wbt50

I could use the family computer but I'm not sure if it uses DDR3. The PC is a Compaq SG3-230UK.

Also, there isn't any danger what so ever in trying it is there ? as in would it cause any damage to the PC. If I damage the system, my family wouldn't be too happy with me :D They're pretty pissed with me as it is with all these computer problems.

wbt50

I tried again with the GPU this time. Still the same problem, but when I took both the 6 Pin power cables out. I had a display on the screen telling me to power down and insert power cables.

spirit

Staff member
Yeah don't try and run the card without the power cables, you could damage your card, board and power supply by doing that.

Check first the computer uses DDR3. If you force your DDR3 RAM into a DDR2 board, you'll likely damage the board and your RAM. Before you put the sticks in, check to see if it even looks like they'll fit into the board.

wbt50

Tried the RAM in the other PC and it worked fine.
Now what ? This is really strange :/
Can it really be that both of my motherboards are faulty afyer each other ?