Please help, Got my motherboard replacement, but Im having different problems now,

spirit

Staff member
It could well be that. I think your board is to blame if your RAM was working perfectly in the other PC.

wbt50

Could it be that something else isn't correct in the build ? I might have some trouble RMA this since it's 2 motherboards straight after each other.

wbt50

Also, I'm going to ask for a refund rather than a replacement board. What board do you suggest I get ?

spirit

Staff member
I suggest you try a Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H.

I think everything else is OK, unless your PSU is giving you issues, but I doubt it.

wbt50

If I get the new board. Is there any way of moving over my Windows 7 key to this motherboard since it's a 1 pc license.

Also, are my drives going to cause any issues since they already contain data from the previous motherboard ?

wolfeking

banned
I suggest you try a Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H.

I think everything else is OK, unless your PSU is giving you issues, but I doubt it.
UD3H, not D3H. That aside the p8z77-v is one of the better boards.

Get a PSU tester and test it. Also helps to have a watt meter and test it with that. I am willing to wager you have a issue with your PSU. That is one of the hardest problems in a computer to trace down. And seems even more likely since you have had issues across 2 boards. RAM or PSU are top of the list to test.

spirit

Staff member
GA-Z77X-D3H is a board http://www.novatech.co.uk/products/components/motherboards/intel1155z77chipset/ga-z77x-d3h.html it's cheaper than the UD3H http://www.novatech.co.uk/products/components/motherboards/intel1155z77chipset/ga-z77x-ud3h.html

Unless you were suggesting he gets the UD3H instead?

I am kind of surprised he's got issues two boards going, so yeah test it with an amp meter, didn't think of that earlier.

As for Windows 7... you may have to use the phone to activate it on a new board. Wait to speak to a real person and tell them what happened regarding your boards.

wbt50

After researching more about RAM failures, it seems very likely that this is what's causing the issues because when the system did display and boot to windows. I would often gets applications stop responding and eventually I would get the Windows STOP/BSOD error screen. The speed and performance of the system was just pure crap up to the point where it stopped working and I got the Windows error screen.

I'll install the RAM in my other computer tomorrow and run the memtest86.

spirit

Staff member
OK, sounds like a plan. Yeah if you were getting BSODs it was probably down to your RAM.

Ah sorry for saying it could be so many things. Computers eh, what can ya do? ;)

wolfeking

banned
THe UD3H is much better board than the D3H. Only get a D3H if your really short on money.

I am kind of surprised he's got issues two boards going, so yeah test it with an amp meter, didn't think of that earlier.
Chances are that the issue is not the board if RMAing the board still has this many issues.

I would bet first on the PSU and second on the memory. They are always the hardest problems to tie down. Memtest will give you an idea if the memory is good or not, but it is not error proof.
PSU, Amp meter or watt meter would be the best way to test it. Make sure the readings line up with what is on the side of the PSU. Also test it with a volt meter (or multimeter set to 12V DC) and make sure your 12V, 5V, and 3.3V rails are all giving within .1V of what they are supposed to. Ubder volting lanes can lead to loads of issues, and failed boots.

spirit

Staff member
Right OK here's what I think you should do.

Test your PSU using an amp meter and a volt meter. If you don't have one, buy one, they're handy to have around.

Then test your RAM with Memtest86 for at least 6-8 hours I'd say. If you get errors, you know where the problem potentially lies.

wbt50

OK, sounds like a plan. Yeah if you were getting BSODs it was probably down to your RAM.

Ah sorry for saying it could be so many things. Computers eh, what can ya do? ;)

Please, Don't be sorry. You've more of less responded to every question I have instantly all day today. I'm really thankfull. If you were charging, I'd be selling my blood by now :D

spirit

Staff member
Please, Don't be sorry. You've more of less responded to every question I have instantly all day today. I'm really thankfull. If you were charging, I'd be selling my blood by now :D

Haha thanks, it's nothing really. :) any time! I just want you to get your system working! :D

wbt50

When I did boot to BIOS yesterday, I took a second to check if the voltage supply was good and it was fine. Nothing was more or less than 0.1V away. But I doubt the BIOS is completely correct when it comes to the PSU ?

I'll test the RAM tommorow. Hopefully that's what the problem is. If the RAM is fine, then I'll try and test the PSU. A friend of mine is self employed as an electrician, so he will probably lend me his Volt Meter and Amp Meter, let just hope I won't electrocute my self :D

Cheers again for the help. Pray for my system haha.

spirit

Staff member
Nah the volt and amp meters won't harm you, don't worry about that. ;)

If the RAM is the issue then it needs to sent back. I've had bad RAM in the past which has actually lead to lack of display and certainly a lot of crashes and blue screens.

wbt50

I ordered the RAM from scan.co.uk, and I've heard a list of stories of poor customer support and service and refusing to accept faulty items so I might have some trouble returning it.

Should have just payed that little extra on a good friendly company eh :D

First, let's just hope it is bad RAM :D

spirit

Staff member
I advise against buying from Scan. I like Novatech myself, great customer service.

Hopefully if the issue is RAM it can be resolved easily.

wbt50

I'll most likely learn that lesson the hardway. Unfortunately, when buying I tend to ignore everything but the price :p

spirit

Staff member
Yeah it's an easy mistake to make. The best places to buy are Novatech, Aria, Overclockers and maybe Dabs, though Dabs can sometimes be a bit slow to dispatch items. I usually get next day delivery with Novatech even when I haven't paid for next day delivery, which is nice. :D

wbt50

OK, I tried using the RAM from my old system in this build now, and nothing changed. It was exactly the same. Single short beep. No LED error light (except boot device LED) So I guess that cancels out RAM, or should I try the mem test ?