Post A Pic Of Your Pc Here :)

spirit

Staff member
87dtna said:
the only thing I would really nit pick about is the case wiring. The wires for the power/reset buttons and LED wires. They are kind all going every direction, if you could simply straighten them out and put them all together, it would finish it off nicely. Like I said, thats kinda down of the list, those PCIe cables and CPU fan wires are up next for sure which should make another massive improvement.
Yeah I'll sort the case wires out when I sort everything else too, I'd like to do everything at once so I don't have to keep going back and doing more. I will just shove those wires behind the motherboard or something to make my case look nicer.

So we reckon my priorities are:
1. PCI-E cables
2. CPU cooler cable
3. Case wires
4. Dust PC using canned air

spirit

Staff member
I have addressed the issues regarding the PCI Express power cable, the SATA cables and the case wires. I will post the pictures later. I still haven't done anything about the CPU cooler yet though and I still need to dust my PC somehow, but right now I'd like to use it for a while before I need to open up the case again! ;)

spirit

Staff member
Well here are the photos! I finished my cable management just before I went to school this morning. I'm not doing any more after this as I think I've done enough, and yes, I know my PC is dusty *embarrassed face* - will one day get a can of compressed air and make the dust bunnies get the hell outta' here! ;)

I downloaded and installed Speccy from Piriform's website to see what temperatures I was getting. The know these temperatures probably aren't extremely accurate but they're good enough I guess - this is what I'm dealing with:

CPU: 48C (i5 760 with stock cooling, no overclocking - dusting out that CPU cooler will likely reduce this temperature)
MB: 26C
GPU: 29C (factory overclocked GTS 450 with what looks like a reference cooler)
HDD: 24C (WD 2TB, not sure what temp my SSD is)

Will be interesting what these temperatures are like once I have dusted my PC all out, I hope they're lower!

The pictures::

DSCF1611.jpg

So this is how the rig looks now with the side panel removed.

DSCF1613.jpg

The front-panel USB 2.0 and Audio ports which were previously just hanging down by the PSU are now routed from behind the motherboard tray to just on top of the power supply, right by where they need to plug into. Yes, that is my second 6-pin PCI power there, the plug does not fit behind the motherboard tray, so it has to live here. You can't really notice it.

DSCF1614.jpg

Cable management by the optical drives.

DSCF1615.jpg

The 6-pin PCI power cable goes behind the motherboard traay now, as do my SATA cables.

DSCF1616.jpg

"Behind the motherboard tray millions of cables lurk..."

DSCF1610.jpg

Cable-mess behind the hard drive caddies.

Does this all look a lot better now?

wolfeking

banned
if you straitened up the cables behind the mobo tray, then you would probably be able to fit your PCIe 6 pin connector back there. It would also look nicer, and probably help the back panel fit on a little better.

87dtna

Does this all look a lot better now?

Absolutely!

Just the dust and the cpu cooler wire and it's very presentable for a non modular PSU not bad at all.

You should probably invest in a different CPU cooler anyway really, the stockers are horrible even at stock clocks. Idling mid-upper 40's is not uncommon at all even at stock.

However, if you are at stock clocks you really could lower the Vcore quite a bit and drop atleast 5-10c temps.

I bet on auto voltage it's juicing your chip to around 1.30v? Well you really don't need voltage that high until you get to atleast 3.6ghz if not higher. At stock clocks, you should be able to easily run only 1.00v and be fully stable...and that will drop temps quite a bit.

Jamebonds1

Absolutely!

Just the dust and the cpu cooler wire and it's very presentable for a non modular PSU not bad at all.

You should probably invest in a different CPU cooler anyway really, the stockers are horrible even at stock clocks. Idling mid-upper 40's is not uncommon at all even at stock.

However, if you are at stock clocks you really could lower the Vcore quite a bit and drop atleast 5-10c temps.

I bet on auto voltage it's juicing your chip to around 1.30v? Well you really don't need voltage that high until you get to atleast 3.6ghz if not higher. At stock clocks, you should be able to easily run only 1.00v and be fully stable...and that will drop temps quite a bit.

My CPU is 14c to 22c with Thermaltake Contac 30 :)

87dtna

Thats an I3, they run massively cooler than an I5, no comparison whatsoever.

And 14c is 57f, your temps are probably wrong unless you are in a 50 degree ambient room :/

spirit

Staff member
87dtna said:
I was going to go with a modular PSU, the OCZ ModXStream 600W, but this ZS 650W was cheaper and offered 50 watts more power. I still think my case looks good though. I hope I don't have to buy a new PSU for at least a couple of years now, but the next one I buy for my machine at least will be modular, and by the time I need to upgrade I bet most consumer PSUs from brands such as OCZ and Corsair will be modular.

Yeah I may dust my CPU cooler but if I do a dust I'll do it later rather than sooner because for now I'd like to enjoy my PC. :D Dust has always been a problem in this room, there's not a lot I can do about it to be honest.

87dtna said:
Yeah really for a high-end quad-core CPU I think the stock cooling is a bit weak, I was looking into an Arctic Cooling Freezer Extreme Rev 2 (or something along those lines) but I never got round to purchasing it... maybe some day. ;) In a way I wish I had saved up for longer back when I built this rig so that I could afford a better graphics card (originally had a GT 220!), a better PSU and a better CPU cooler, and I wish I didn't purchase my CPU, RAM and mobo as a bundle! I wish I had used a decent board, becasue this Foxconn board is terrible.

87dtna said:
Maybe, will have a look in the BIOS. It may be that Speecy is perhaps only giving a core reading. I don't really like to fiddle with things like this though, because even though the i5 760 is no longer the latest generation, they are still pretty expensive on the internet, they haven't come down in price really at all in the past year or so. This is why I have not overclocked my CPU because I'm scared I'll wreck it and then I'll have to buy a new one, and buying a new LGA1156 CPU today is a bit stupid as 1156 is an obsolete socket, so I'd have to go and buy an i5 2500 and a 1155 motherboard.

87dtna

What is auto putting it at now? You have CPUz?

But at stock 2.8ghz 1.0v should easily be stable (if not even .90 or .95v). Even if you just put it down to 1.10v for peace of mind 100% rock stability, that should make a big difference in temps.

spirit

Staff member
CPUZ reports the core voltage is ~0.900V - not sure what you need to know so I have taken a screenshot of CPUZ.

cpuz.png

The reason why it is showing the clock speed as being ~2.9GHz is because the turbo-boost has been enabled.

Jamebonds1

Thats an I3, they run massively cooler than an I5, no comparison whatsoever.

And 14c is 57f, your temps are probably wrong unless you are in a 50 degree ambient room :/

Nope. Probably not perfect temp by BIOS, but it is all i get to monitor my CPU's temp. Beside i can feeling that heatsink is cold. Which mean it is about 55f to 65f, i think? I can't say for sure because i don't have laser thermal. Plus i have 6 case FAN, one FAN CPU, one FAN PSU, and one Video Card. Most of fan are over 70 CFM. It depend on how much good airflow your tower have. Thermaltake Armor 60A are reason for bottom PSU and more fan case.

NOTES: Errr nevermind. I don't notice 87dtna got banned, sorry.

Last edited:

87dtna

CPUZ reports the core voltage is ~0.900V - not sure what you need to know so I have taken a screenshot of CPUZ.

The reason why it is showing the clock speed as being ~2.9GHz is because the turbo-boost has been enabled.

O you have Cstate and the other power saving features on in the bios. At idle it drops the Vcore, but under load it would bump it up.

Interesting though that your idle is 48c even at .9v. What thermal paste are you using?

87dtna

Tiny power package? i accept your challenge XD

I had a 2500k at 4.2ghz on this setup-

Z68m-ITX
Zerotherm 4 heat pipe low profile cooler
2x4gb rip jaws 1600
OCZ fatal1ty 550w modular

1-3.jpg

Not sure how you fit a 6950 in a mini ITX, my 6850 here barely fit.

2-3.jpg

Does that Asus board overclock? I went to a micro ATX because I just get bored with my hardware. I was really disappointed the itx boards have no voltage control so auto voltage was juicing my chip when overclocked making more heat.

And then here it is sitting beside a normal ATX mid tower-

3-3.jpg

Last edited: