Post A Pic Of Your Pc Here :)

Discussion in 'General Computer Chat' started by jancz3rt, Mar 10, 2005.

1. Thanatos

Thanatos Active Member

2. speedx77x

speedx77x Member

Hmph the only case Noctua Fans will ever match....

3. Blandnuts

Blandnuts New Member

That wood case is neat.

4. claptonman

claptonman New Member

That is odd. All the computers I've reimaged with win8 and used the key from the BIOS worked just fine.

5. Okedokey

Okedokey Well-Known Member

windows key in BIOS?

6. salvage-this

salvage-this Active Member

The new HPs have this as their new COA sticker. You need to use the OEM CD to install Windows or it won't activate. Key is in the bios, but not visible. Dumb.

7. AlienMenace

AlienMenace Well-Known Member

8. FuryRosewood

FuryRosewood Active Member

Yep, and its another shot in the foot for M$ allowing OEMs to do that...makes it a pain to get a machine restaged at work while keeping the licensing key intact...

9. Okedokey

Okedokey Well-Known Member

You can extract Windows 8 key by downloading getWin8key script and it will show you it.

10. salvage-this

salvage-this Active Member

Good to see someone got it figured out. Thanks.

11. spirit

spirit Moderator Staff Member

ThinkPad L540. :)

I took these photos for a review which I am writing on this laptop but I've not had the chance to write anything on it for weeks now.

I had to take some these are quite high ISO (800) so there may be some grain on some of them. Retaking some of these tomorrow earlier in the day and with a flashgun.

I also posted a video on YouTube of Windows 8.1 Pro booting, shutting down and resuming from sleep with the Seagate 1TB SSHD which is installed in this laptop. You can see the video below:

[UT]ZMe_-SqreHI[/UT]

Skip to 0:36 to see the boot.

My first install of 8.1 on this machine was a clone from the HDD to the SSHD and didn't work well. I did a fresh install of 8.1 Pro which I got from school last weekend and now it's a lot quicker. You have to do a lot of restarts and get Windows to boot quickly since the SSHD firmware 'learns' which files to cache to boot Windows quickly.

**EDIT: Pics temporarily removed whilst I transfer them to a new Flickr account.**

Last edited: May 24, 2014
  12. Geoff

Geoff VIP Member

I think you missed a few angles :p

13. PCunicorn

PCunicorn Active Member

Jesus, Jason...

lol, seriously man wouldn't it of been better if you of just linked to album? Thankfully I have fast Internet... :D

14. spirit

Well I did take these photos for the purpose of a review, hence for all the angles. I pretty much copied and pasted my post on forum.thinkpads.com to here.

This page even loads fine on my phone, so you lot should be OK.

15. Geoff

Geoff VIP Member

It's okay, he's just on dial-up :p

16. spirit

Haha. :D

I'll be removing the pics in a sec because I am deleting them from my Flickr account and transferring them to a new account I'm about to make, just for ThinkPad pics. Obviously all the links would die anyway.

17. Virssagòn

Virssagòn VIP Member

That's fast! I think I'll go for one with such a drive as well.

18. spirit

Yes, it is good.

Just a few things to note though:

Whilst it does boot and shut down as quick as an SSD, programs and transfer speeds operate at the same speed as a 5400 RPM HDD of course, since they're not in the cache buffer.

I recommend doing a fresh install of Windows onto it. I originally cloned the HDD and it all got messed up and none of the files would cache, so I was not seeing any speed benefits. Once I did a clean install it worked much better.

Just install Windows like you would on an HDD - nothing new to report there.

Once you have installed Windows and got everything set up, keep shutting the machine down and then starting it from cold again. After about 10 times, the SSHD will have learned which files to cache to make Windows boot and shut down quickly.

And you'll be good to go. :)

19. Virssagòn

Virssagòn VIP Member

Thanks for the information! :p Anyway, if I find a laptop with just an SSD and no HDD, I'll go with that. I don't need a laptop with gaming specs or much storage, just to do some basic work for school, browsing and maybe some streaming over the net.
    That said, I still got this Samsung 840 EVO 250gb that I could use in a laptop :p. Currently using it for test setups, like now the i7 4790 (from which is posted up a score in the black hole thread.)

20. spirit

If you don't need a lot of storage I'd just go with a 250GB SSD unless you don't have the money for one, but since you've got an SSD already I'd use that.