PS4 or Xbox One?

PS4 or Xbox One?

• PS4

Votes: 25 64.1%
  • Xbox One

Votes: 14 35.9%

• Total voters
Its not even stressing my PC at all. In fact, it probably runs a little better than BF3 did with the same graphics.

But what Im really on about is all these tech demos about. Like BeamNG Drive, Rigs of Rods, SpinTires etc....all these tech demos show us what is POSSIBLE with current hardware and my question is why are developers not implementing these kind of things into games?

EA bragged about the destructible environment in BF4....well, its not anymore destructible than the one in BF3...which isnt anymore destructible than the environment in GTA5. Its just silly that they refuse to make use of the hardware available. I feel like my graphics card has enough time to take a nap while it plays these games they are so lacking.

It will stress anything if you crank up the MSAA and run 2560x1600 as well as the resolution scale or w/e its called.

I run two Lightning 780s and it is not an easy game to get 60fps all the time with those settings at 1600p.

G80FTW

It will stress anything if you crank up the MSAA and run 2560x1600 as well as the resolution scale or w/e its called.

I run two Lightning 780s and it is not an easy game to get 60fps all the time with those settings at 1600p.

I can only go up to 1920x1080, and at that resolution with everything up I have no problem keeping 60fps. The resolution scale makes no difference to image quality if you already have 4x AA on at 1080p.

Granted 2560x1600 is a much higher resolution, 2 780s shouldnt struggle. I would just leave scaling at 100% or 120% like I use. 200% is a waste of power since you wont see any difference especially if your at 1600p.

Last edited:

spirit

Staff member
1920x1080 really isn't that high of a resolution these days for games - especially when you've got a graphics card like a GTX 680 with 4GB of V-RAM.

G80FTW

1920x1080 really isn't that high of a resolution these days for games - especially when you've got a graphics card like a GTX 680 with 4GB of V-RAM.

It is when its on a 32 inch HD TV :)

1080p is fine for me as Im not up close to my screen.

I also think my 4GB VRAM was worth it after all because from what I saw of the benchmarks in BF4 with the 2GB version of my card at 1920x1080 was about 10-15fps lower than what I get. Battlefield doesnt strike me as a RAM hog though.

G80FTW

Last edited:

Okedokey

Id be suprised if a 680 can run 1920x1080 Ultra max settings never below 60FPS. Most of the benches ive seen is around 40s.

In terms of RAM, yeah, ive seen it use around 1GB, and just under 3GB VRAM at 5760 x 1080.

Last edited:

G80FTW

Id be suprised if a 680 can run 1920x1080 Ultra max settings never below 60FPS. Most of the benches ive seen is around 40s.

In terms of RAM, yeah, ive seen it use around 1GB, and just under 3GB VRAM at 5760 x 1080.

I didnt say it NEVER went under 60. Lowest it goes though is in the 40s, it will stay in the mid-high 50s for most of the time though. And thats running 150% scaling at 1080p now with no AA. I decided that even though I dont see any difference between the super sampling and MSAA I might as well use the super sampling.

And like I said, the 680s tested were probably stock clocks and 2GB. Mine is overclocked by eVGA and has 4GB.

Aastii

VIP Member
It is when its on a 32 inch HD TV :)

1080p is fine for me as Im not up close to my screen.

I also think my 4GB VRAM was worth it after all because from what I saw of the benchmarks in BF4 with the 2GB version of my card at 1920x1080 was about 10-15fps lower than what I get. Battlefield doesnt strike me as a RAM hog though.

Display size doesn't make any difference to performance, it will just affect pixel density. Your system running at 1920x1080 on your 32" TV will perform identically to if you were running on a 23" monitor, you would just have better picture quality on the monitor as you have greater pixel density.

You are also mistaking RAM for VRAM, they behave very differently to each other. It should be no surprise that BF4 is VRAM intensive as you have large draw distances, detailed textures and advanced lighting/shading effects

spirit

Staff member
Display size doesn't make any difference to performance, it will just affect pixel density. Your system running at 1920x1080 on your 32" TV will perform identically to if you were running on a 23" monitor, you would just have better picture quality on the monitor as you have greater pixel density.
Exactly. Running pretty much any game at 1080p with a 4GB GTX 680 should be a breeze.

You should just be glad that your system can clearly max it at the resolution which you play it at. :)

G80FTW

You are also mistaking RAM for VRAM, they behave very differently to each other. It should be no surprise that BF4 is VRAM intensive as you have large draw distances, detailed textures and advanced lighting/shading effects

Im aware of this. What I was pointing out is that since Im not up close to my TV, things look more clear to me.

Im not mistaking the 2, I was saying that Frostbite appears to be a well optimized engine (IE it doesnt eat up RAM like some games and not use it *GTA4*) so I dont see why at 1080p the 2GB version of my card should perform any worse than the 4GB as I doubt its using 2GB of VRAM but if I can find a way to test that I will.

Okedokey

I didnt say it NEVER went under 60. Lowest it goes though is in the 40s, it will stay in the mid-high 50s for most of the time though. And thats running 150% scaling at 1080p now with no AA. I decided that even though I dont see any difference between the super sampling and MSAA I might as well use the super sampling.

And like I said, the 680s tested were probably stock clocks and 2GB. Mine is overclocked by eVGA and has 4GB.

Yeah sorry, i just read this

I can only go up to 1920x1080, and at that resolution with everything up I have no problem keeping 60fps.

and thought you meant every on max, including AA, and you having no problem keeping (e.g. maintaining), 60FPS. Sorry if i mis-read.

Do you get any tearing on the TV?

G80FTW

Yeah sorry, i just read this

and thought you meant every on max, including AA, and you having no problem keeping (e.g. maintaining), 60FPS. Sorry if i mis-read.

Do you get any tearing on the TV?

I was running 4xMSAA at 100% scaling but I get nearly the same performance running 150% scaling with no AA.

Also, no tearing as I use V-sync and my TVs refresh rate is 60hz.