PS4 or Xbox One?

• PS4

Votes: 25 64.1%
  • Xbox One

Votes: 14 35.9%

• Total voters

Punk

Staff member
Because I can't be arsed with currency conversions to USD and EUR, right now you can get a One + 4 games £665.

http://www.game.co.uk/en/xbox-one-w...t-267291/?cm_sp=XboxOne-_-chart-_-consolePos1

For £500 you can get a gaming PC high-maxing all games + 4 brand new games then for £140. Total - £650. £25 quid less is near enough the same price when we are talking £650+ so we won't fret over that.

Then factor in that PC games are cheaper than the consoles, that evens out any necessary upgrades over the life of the console, and if you get a lot of games, can actually pull the price in favour of PC gaming. They fit in the same price range as each other

Next...

PS4 + 1 game:

400+70 =470 euros (393,69 pounds).

Yeah... Next.

G80FTW

PS4 + 1 game:

Yeah... Next.

Whats the point here? I dont know about the rest of the world, but PC games are not cheaper than console games in regards to cross platform titles. Yes Steam does have sales, but not on release date. Your paying the same price to get the game on PC or console upon its release so the price of games should not even be a factor here.....

If anything your spending more on games for PC because there are more games to buy...

Geoff

VIP Member
PS4 + 1 game:

Yeah... Next.

Whats the point here? I dont know about the rest of the world, but PC games are not cheaper than console games in regards to cross platform titles. Yes Steam does have sales, but not on release date. Your paying the same price to get the game on PC or console upon its release so the price of games should not even be a factor here.....

If anything your spending more on games for PC because there are more games to buy...
Exactly. Look at Call of Duty Ghosts, Battlefield 4, Forza, any new game. They all cost the same, which is usually around $60, it doesn't matter if it's for PC or console.

As Nick said they do have sales, but you can also buy indie games and older games on sale for consoles too. Unless of course you are talking about pirating games...

Aastii

VIP Member
I will post a more detailed reply when I am at home and not at the end of my dinner at work.

PC games here are cheaper, always have been, usually around about £10 for new AAA titles, often even more for the rest. You can get keys much more easily and cheaply than you can for a console import, case in point when BLOPS2 was £50 on consoles, I got it on PC for £16.

In my Steam library I have over 200 games and over the last few years that set me back about £450. That isn't all indie games and freebies, that is every CoD but ghosts, BF2, Bioshock, Arma, major titles. Try getting 200 current gen, or even previous gen, games for less than 1k.

=EDIT=

Someone in the US may correct me here, but a quick search found the going price for Ghosts in the States as $60. I'm just going to put this here. http://www.cjs-cdkeys.com/products/Call-Of-Duty-Ghosts-CD-Key-for-Steam.html?setCurrencyId=2

PC games still cheaper in America

Last edited:

Punk

Staff member

I think you quoted the wrong person, I completely agree with what you said.

Geoff

VIP Member
No he didn't quote the wrong person, and neither did I. Your post implied that consoles are a lot more expensive because games are more expensive for consoles over PC's, which is not true for new major release games.

Punk

Staff member
Then you haven't read the conversation.

I don't see how you can have a thread about the current gen gaming platforms and miss out one of the current gen gaming platforms. Why should they not be compared to a PC? The previous gen were, all gens before that were, so why should this be different?

Because of the price range.

G80FTW

Someone in the US may correct me here, but a quick search found the going price for Ghosts in the States as $60. I'm just going to put this here. http://www.cjs-cdkeys.com/products/Call-Of-Duty-Ghosts-CD-Key-for-Steam.html?setCurrencyId=2

Wtf is that? Like Im going to pay $10 less for a "cd key" from a site that looks suspect to begin with. And thats a CD Key not a game. :)

Whats more suspect is that it says its a CD Key for the Steam game. Now, its been a bit since I have bought new games on Steam but every new game I bought on Steam in the past never required me to input a CD Key upon installation. Suspect?

I didnt. In my quote I was asking you what the point was. I wasnt sure what you were trying to say by simply posting a PS4 plus the price of one game.

I have input codes into steam without any problems. Also I buy a number of console games used so that helps with pricing.

If I played more games my PC would be cost effective. In reality I only play a few minutes a day so console is far more cost effective. I only play maybe 3 new games a year then replay a few old ones. The upfront cost of a PC is not made up.

To each their own I suppose.

Aastii

VIP Member
What do you think a CD key is for a digital download? A CD key that you activate on Steam or Origin or any other digital distribution medium, to enable you to download the game. If you bought the physical copy of the game you would have a CD key that you have to activate through Steam before you can play the game.

You see this right here how do you think it works?

Call it suspect all you like mate, I know the guy that owns the company it by association ;). Also consider this and this. Have used, will continue to use and will continue to recommend.

You also have to remember that there was a time where Steam was "suspect" because people did not trust not having a digital copy and in fact even now, I know a lot still like that. That and the game that came out on release is now out of date. You can install it from the disc if you like, you will still have to update before you can use it, so the disc is pretty much worthless. Just like every game now, near enough from the point that you purchase the game it is out of date and you have to download some sort of update or patch.

You cannot just discredit a legitimate source for buying games because you feel like it, your entire argument falls down at that point because you are picking and choosing what facts to take into account rather than considering everything, even if it goes against what you are arguing for.

G80FTW

"To provide our customers with peace of mind, we offer the codes as scanned images of the original game manuals. Each CD Key is sourced from an official boxed copy of the game. this ensures that your game key is always taken from a brand new sealed copy. Nobody will see your CD Key except you. "

So.....they keep boxed copies of the game boxed forever? Seems like a waste of production....something tells me those box copies will eventually also be sold, again, otherwise what do they do? Throw them away? Then some homeless guy gets a brand new copy of ghost in the trash. I really dont understand how this process work and dont like the idea of other people having access to my CD Key, which they do. It says they dont but if these keys are coming from scanned images of a sealed box someone has access to them.

Pulled that from your link. Now, Im not saying the site isnt legit. Im saying its very suspect me.

Aastii

VIP Member
Ok, I will explain how it works because you don't want to do any of your own background research into anything:

In countries such as India, Russia, China, these countries less strict on copyright laws, piracy is rife. As such, to sell a game at the retail price that you or I pay would not be worth it for the developers as they are selling very few units due to everyone else just pirating the game. That and the people there would not be able to afford the game anyway because the average income is so much lower. It is always either one of these factors or both.

What do they do to ensure more sales there then? They drop the price... A lot. So much so that sites such as CJS are able to buy the games in bulk from such countries, ship them over here and then re-sell them at a price that is higher than what they bought them for, yet substantially lower than what it is sold for here, so they make a profit and we, the customers, get a better price.

CJS receive the keys, scan the image and then dispose of the box. They will alternatively sell the discs for some as just the disc to people without access to the installation media, but this is without the key.

They do not re-sell keys, they do not re-use keys, nobody has access to the key once it is scanned and sent on to you, and as a key can only be activated once through Steam/Origin, it does not matter if somebody else got it, they can't do anything with it; your account can't be found from it, you can't get banned for it, you can't be locked out of the game because someone else is playing it, because they can't play it while you are.

An example of what you get, from my own purchase made, obviously with the key blanked out:

http://postimg.org/image/rphwaxhz5/

I know it is unused as I have checked pbbans, the only names linked to it are those used by the clan member that I bought it for. I know it has no bans associated with it, again because I did a background check on the GUID, in fact it is so clean that it has been used in CoD4 Leagues, which is the reason that it was purchased in the first place.

Note that the CoD4 key is not a Steam/Origin activation, it is a standalone key as CoD4 is not activated through Steam or Origin. Even near enough a year after the purchase (02/12/2012), the key is still clean and untouched by anyone else.

Do you have any more theories about it?

Justin

VIP Member
index.php

G80FTW

Ok, I will explain how it works because you don't want to do any of your own background research into anything:

Do you have any more theories about it?

Yes actually I do. Firstly, I didnt need a whole story about how it works, Im not really interested in how it works. For one reason:

Im not a big fan of paying for half a product. I got the product key for $10 less than the game! Cool. Now where do I legally obtain the game without paying for it?

Aside from that, if your obtaining brand new games for $10 less on PC, that still wont cover the cost of gaming on a PC over a console. If you buy 2 games a month (which is actually alot of you ask me, I normally only buy maybe 5-7 games a year depending on whats coming out) then in 11 years youd have bought 264 games. Now at retail price of $60 new here in the US, thats $15,840. Thats a pretty expensive gaming habit if you ask me. So an addicted console gamer is going to spend that plus $800 on 2 consoles for each generation that has been here in the past 11 years. $16,640.

Meanwhile, the PC gamer, being me, spent $5,000 on the PC alone in 11 years and if I got those 264 games for $50 as opposed to $60 I still would have spent $18,200 altogether. So is paying $10 less per game worth it to invest in PC gaming over console gaming when it comes to major titles? No.

You can try to twist anyway you want, but the price point will never be in favor of the PC. The PC has ALWAYS been a more costly gaming machine than a console. Will that ever change? I highly doubt it, seeing as it looks like consoles may even be getting cheaper in the future while PC hardware seems to be becoming more expensive.

So its not a matter of whether or not your buying CD Keys separate from the game works, Im not saying it doesnt, but its a matter of it in the end being more cost effective than console gaming. Which its not.

EDIT: I just did some research on the matter, and it seems alot of other people agree that buying only CD Keys is suspect. Also, I dont know about Russia or India, but China didnt have console games. They didnt allow consoles in their country. China is communist. They also have a giant firewall in their country preventing people from looking at any kind of social media, like this. I did hear recently that China was going to accept the new generation of consoles, however I havent heard any news on that. China says alot of things, I dont particularly trust communist leaders who are generally tyrannical and will say anything to make their people think they are god.

EDIT: I decided to do more math. And figured that in order for you to actually start saving money on the PC gaming side, you would have to buy about 600 games in 11 years. And only then you would save about $1,000 over console gaming. 600 games in 11 years is 50 games a year man. If your buying a game a week every week, I feel like you need to do something more productive with your time.

Last edited:

Troncoso

VIP Member
I got to say, I'm really enjoying the PS4. The only thing I wish it had that the XBox One has is Dead Rising 3. Though, I kind of like the QR scanner for the camera. I've already had to use 3 promo codes. THOUGH, you can actually connect to your PS4 through the Playstation App, and use its keyboard to type, which is handy.

Oh, and the snap thing that the XBox One does. In very limited cases, that would be pretty helpful. Though, I don't really see why anyone would snap a TV show next to a game. That just seems silly. But, for pinning up like your chat party, or an online game guide, that'd be neat.

G80FTW

I got to say, I'm really enjoying the PS4. The only thing I wish it had that the XBox One has is Dead Rising 3. Though, I kind of like the QR scanner for the camera. I've already had to use 3 promo codes. THOUGH, you can actually connect to your PS4 through the Playstation App, and use its keyboard to type, which is handy.

Oh, and the snap thing that the XBox One does. In very limited cases, that would be pretty helpful. Though, I don't really see why anyone would snap a TV show next to a game. That just seems silly. But, for pinning up like your chat party, or an online game guide, that'd be neat.

Yes dead rising 3 looks amazing. I was sad to hear it was xbox only as i dont plan on getting the xbox one.

Justin

VIP Member
I'm not planning to buy a new console until maybe halfway through 2014 when more games come out but if I could buy one now it would be the Xbox. I really really REALLY want to play Forza 5 and Killer Instinct.

Geoff

VIP Member
I'm not planning to buy a new console until maybe halfway through 2014 when more games come out but if I could buy one now it would be the Xbox. I really really REALLY want to play Forza 5 and Killer Instinct.
Same here, now that I just started my weekend job I'll have very little free time until spring, no point in buying a new console now.

Calibretto

VIP Member
So I played around with my Xbox One all weekend and a little bit during these past couple weekdays, and from talking with another friend who has the PS4, it's pretty clear that the PS4 is way easier to set up and get going.

However, the new Kinect is way better this time around and is actually useful for a lot of things. I mostly use it to launch Netflix ("Xbox on", "Xbox, go to Netflix"), but it was super convenient to have when redeeming codes, and more games support Kinect. Plus, Logitech Harmony integration is really nice.

As far as having to pay for Xbox Live Gold to use even the most trivial of apps (like Netflix), you can easily find Gold for $35/year, which is $3/month -- practically nothing. Just give up a Starbucks coffee for one day a month and you'll have that money.

For me, Xbox and Playstations are gaming consoles. I buy them to game, not browse the internet or stream videos.

That's like saying you buy an iPhone to make phone calls, so it shouldn't come with web browsing, games, and streaming apps. I understand what you're saying, but thought I'd just play devil's advocate ;) It's nice to have a single living room machine do everything I want it to do.