PS4 or Xbox One?

PS4 or Xbox One?

• PS4

Votes: 25 64.1%
  • Xbox One

Votes: 14 35.9%

• Total voters
I bought the ps4. No regrets. I will admit it was largely due the daily DRM checks and constant on kinect. I know a lot of this was sorted out over summer but it left me with a sour feeling towards the new Xbox. Saving one hundred dollars was a big deal too.

G80FTW

Well firstly the Xbox has always had better game support meaning, more developers

Firstly, Im not sure thats true. Playstation has had developers long before the Xbox was even thought of. Secondly, even if that was the case, more developers does not mean BETTER developers.

I bought into the Xbox when it first came out, ditched my PS2 and never bought a playstation again. Had my 360 forever and loved it. Bought a PS3 early this year, have loved it even more. The PS3 had far better developers than the 360. Naughty Dog is probably the best console developer out there IMO in terms of graphic quality and gameplay.

It actually made me regret not getting the PS3 sooner. I still have yet to see the PS4, wont be getting it anytime soon as I have other priorities, but I am going with it because not only are my friends going with it but me and them had a long debate about which console to go with and we all ended up deciding on the PS4 because not only of its price but the exclusive titles that will be on it and the fact that Sony didnt try to dick us like Microsoft did.

Still debating what one to get, seems like a lot of my friends are on the fence too :/

You getting the PS4 Geoff so we can play GTA5 together :)

Last edited:

Punk

Staff member
Consoles are old from the moment they are released :D

The fact that you're VIP and saying this is actually scary. Have you read the thread? Unicorn and some other member already went down that path, and that discussion has been done more than once already.

This is about PS4 and Xbox1 so if you want to talk about your "PC Master race" or whatever feel free to start a thread.

Okedokey

The fact that you're VIP and saying this is actually scary. Have you read the thread? Unicorn and some other member already went down that path, and that discussion has been done more than once already.

This is about PS4 and Xbox1 so if you want to talk about your "PC Master race" or whatever feel free to start a thread.

I take exception to your post, not only because its pointless, but also because its wrong. The PS4 and the Xbox ARE PCs. So the comparison with PCs is completely fair. Back in the day when the architecture, cpu and instruction set were different you'd be right, but these 'console' are merely underpowered X86 PCs with a good price point and some dedicated developers. That's not a bad thing. It is certainly better than the bollocks that came before it and the flow-through effect on PC gaming where even with much much better hardware we were stuck with dumb-arse console ports.

In fact beyond the hype, its no different to arguing over Dell or Lenovo, vs Apple or any other machine. They're X86, they're PCs.

At the moment ill agree, very hard to build a PC that is better for the same price, but that is a new phenomenon. But id rather spend twice as much on hardware and enjoy half as many games (same overall budget) -only at max settings.

Its also true, they're out of date, un-upgradable (for the parts that matter) and slower from day 1. Fact. This is not about master race, this is about a PC in fancy clothing pretending to be something else...

If I had to choose id choose xbox1, as it will always (in time) have more development funding due to DirectX. Just my opinion.

Last edited:

Punk

Staff member
I take exception to your post, not only because its pointless, but also because its wrong. The PS4 and the Xbox ARE PCs. So the comparison with PCs is completely fair. Back in the day when the architecture, cpu and instruction set were different you'd be right, but these 'console' are merely underpowered X86 PCs with a good price point and some dedicated developers. That's not a bad thing. It is certainly better than the bollocks that came before it and the flow-through effect on PC gaming where even with much much better hardware we were stuck with dumb-arse console ports.

In fact beyond the hype, its no different to arguing over Dell or Lenovo, vs Apple or any other machine. They're X86, they're PCs.

At the moment ill agree, very hard to build a PC that is better for the same price, but that is a new phenomenon. But id rather spend twice as much on hardware and enjoy half as many games (same overall budget) -only at max settings.

Its also true, they're out of date, un-upgradable (for the parts that matter) and slower from day 1. Fact. This is not about master race, this is about a PC in fancy clothing pretending to be something else...

If I had to choose id choose xbox1, as it will always (in time) have more development funding due to DirectX. Just my opinion.

Name of thread:

PS4 or Xbox One?

This isn't about PC.

So my post is pointless, then, thank you for encouraging off topic. This isn't about which between consoles and PC is best, this about which one between Xbox1 and PS4 you would choose.

Troncoso

VIP Member
Wow. "They're x86, they're PCs". Do you know what a PC is? It's a Personal Computer. Do you know what a Personal Computer is? It's a general-purpose computer. Do you know what a game console is not? A general purpose computer. A smart phone is closer to a PC than a game console.

The fact that you use the hardware in each to try and say they are the same sounds extremely ignorant. This topic is about the 2 games consoles. Talking about PC's would be considered off topic.

Okedokey

Wow some epic fails here.

Get the facts straight mate. Metaphorically, by your definition, a Taxi is not a car.

To keep it concise, each block is numbered...

1. FOREVER the console has been a gaming pc alternative. Now that it is a X86 COMPUTER (FOR THE FIRST TIME) it is essentially, no, actually exactly the same as a PC. The thread may be called PS4 vs Xbox1, however it is not myself that brought the PC elite comment into this. Nor did I smash another member for it. Just because it isn't in the poll, doesn't make it off limits (justification below), there are no rules to that. Several members have spoken about pcs here, the majority of threads here are about pcs, and the basic and irrefutable fact is that consoles, now, are actually PCs.

2. Secondly I answered the OP question also, saying that an Xbox will be the best choice given DirectX support. So im completely on topic.
HARDWARE IS EVERYTHING unless you want to talk about marketing. OMG. really.

3. Talking about PCs is not considered off topic, as a Mac, is a different OS than a Windows machine, however it is STILL X86!!! FFS! Beyond marketing, is a mac not a PC? If a PC is not defined by x86 then is it defined by its OS??? If that's the case then the Xbox1 uses a version of Windows... so what is your definition?

Wow. "They're x86, they're PCs". Do you know what a PC is? It's a Personal Computer. Do you know what a Personal Computer is? It's a general-purpose computer. Do you know what a game console is not? A general purpose computer. A smart phone is closer to a PC than a game console.

4. and this ^ has to be one of the worst, least thought out comments in CF history.

5. Its only YOUR definition that a PC is a 'general purpose' computer. LOL WOW

FYI

6. PC = personal computer, originally, a computer that runs on intel based architecture (IBM) - what is that ??? X86. Same now as AMD.

7. Smart phones ARE NOT X86! And neither were consoles UNTIL NOW!

8. Yes, the choice is between ps4 and xbox, however if you are going to talk down to someone based on their view that a PC is better, and then say that is not part of the equation , you are wrong, because by buying a PS4, or and Xbox1, you are buying a PC. Fact.

9. Xbox and PS4 are a gaming hardware platform. If they're all x86, and a PC is by its most purest definition x86, then a xbox, or a ps4 is a PC. Why, because if you understand this, x86 is very very specific to pc. The xbox and the ps4 are essentially pc hardware, in a box, with a sticker on it saying either xbox or ps4.

My point is, yelling down at Unicorn because he says something is good on a pc, is virtually dumb, as they're ALL PCs! Christ, the Xbox1 runs ~Windows and DirectX.

The childish definition of 'console' can thankfully stop as they're all x86 computers, running games. Period.

Last edited:

Troncoso

VIP Member
By your definition, once we put an x86 processor in a microwave, it's a personal computer.
The original purpose of "personal computer" was a marketing term to distinguish an intel based machines. That's not how it's used anymore. To be technical, since you don't like my definition:

a small computer designed for use by one person at home or in an office

Courtesy of Merriam-Webster. You'll find that same definition in various locations.

If we go off of that, we can already distinguish game consoles, as they are designed to be used by one or more people at a time.

At the end of the day, regardless of your definition of whatever, the thread is about two very specific products. Not all products that use the same CPU as they do.

No one is talking down to people because they prefer a regular computer over a gaming console. It's because that's not part of the discussion.

PCunicorn

Yet 3, 6, 9 years down the road they still play the new games that are out. It's not bad paying $400 once every 5-10 years for a gaming machine that works.

Yup. You can spend $1000 today, and get a machine that will play games on the same settings a PS4 plays them for the next few years for $400.

G80FTW

Yet 3, 6, 9 years down the road they still play the new games that are out. It's not bad paying $400 once every 5-10 years for a gaming machine that works.

I have to point out The Last of Us. Pretty much the best looking game for the previous gen consoles and its quality was near that of Crysis 3 on PC. And yet 8 year old hardware was playing it just fine. It shows that hardware is really only as good as the software made for it. And thats where consoles have always had an advantage over PCs. But now that consoles are becoming more like a PC in terms of design it will make it all that much better for PC gamers and console gamers.

Darren

Staff member
I have to point out The Last of Us. Pretty much the best looking game for the previous gen consoles and its quality was near that of Crysis 3 on PC. .

Lemme just stop you right there. No.

I saw the Last of Us played on a 1080p projector screen that covered an entire wall and played Crysis 3 on med/high on my 20 inch monitor. Crysis 3 looked leagues better.

G80FTW

Lemme just stop you right there. No.

I saw the Last of Us played on a 1080p projector screen that covered an entire wall and played Crysis 3 on med/high on my 20 inch monitor. Crysis 3 looked leagues better.

Well if your watching the last of us on a screen that covers an entire wall its probably going to look pretty jaggy with the lack of AA that PC can offer :) But as far as texture resolution goes, it pretty much has the best on console and some textures are even better than those on Crysis 3. I have both games. And yes Crysis 3 does look better, and it should. But leagues, no. If Crytek had in fact made use of displacement mapping like they claimed to have then yes it would have been worlds better. But they didnt. Crytek cut back so much on the game that it was almost disappointing.

Okedokey

By your definition, once we put an x86 processor in a microwave, it's a personal computer.
The original purpose of "personal computer" was a marketing term to distinguish an intel based machines. That's not how it's used anymore. To be technical, since you don't like my definition:

Courtesy of Merriam-Webster. You'll find that same definition in various locations.

If we go off of that, we can already distinguish game consoles, as they are designed to be used by one or more people at a time.

At the end of the day, regardless of your definition of whatever, the thread is about two very specific products. Not all products that use the same CPU as they do.

No one is talking down to people because they prefer a regular computer over a gaming console. It's because that's not part of the discussion.

Ok, well that must be up there with the weakest argument ever.

Anyway, it doesn't matter. For the first time ever, consoles are using X86 hardware, PC Hardware in other words, and at least in the case of the xbox, Windows derivative.

That means they're directly comparable for the first time.

That means when discussing the differences (which are very very few), its natural to discuss gaming pcs, which are, x86, same hardware, and same games.

Again, unless you think a taxi is not a car....

Either way, the xbox will lose battles but win the ultimate war.

Okedokey

I have to point out The Last of Us. Pretty much the best looking game for the previous gen consoles and its quality was near that of Crysis 3 on PC. And yet 8 year old hardware was playing it just fine. It shows that hardware is really only as good as the software made for it. And thats where consoles have always had an advantage over PCs. But now that consoles are becoming more like a PC in terms of design it will make it all that much better for PC gamers and console gamers.

Yeah, that's just nonsense.

Okedokey

That's the same as saying, yeah, get a fat ugly girlfriends, she'll still love you in 10 years, and be fatter.

Punk

Staff member
That's the same as saying, yeah, get a fat ugly girlfriends, she'll still love you in 10 years, and be fatter.

To be honest, I don't see the point you're trying to make. Beauty is subjective, we're being objective here...

An since most of your arguments consists of saying other's are nonsense, weak, or wrong, you've just proven how good your argumentation is. Yeah I can be condescending too.

Last edited:

G80FTW

Yeah, that's just nonsense.

Show me an 8 year old PC that can produce that kind of graphic quality at 30FPS. Because you wont find one. To say its nonsense shows your ignorance of how computers work.

Let me also point out that this is running on basically a 7800GTX GPU. Which wouldnt even be able to run Crysis 1 that well if it was in a PC. Its ALL about the software.

lucasbytegenius

Show me an 8 year old PC that can produce that kind of graphic quality at 30FPS. Because you wont find one. To say its nonsense shows your ignorance of how computers work.

Show me a console that actually renders that high-quality of an image on a TV, because I guarantee you won't find one. That's computer-generated art you posted, not an actual gameplay screenshot.