(re)build thread

wolfeking

banned
okay, I told someone I would not do this, but I needed to redo my cable management and clean out the case anyway, so yay, build thread. Anything you see wrong, or that could be done better, let me know.

First pic, shows the case pulled apart, except for the PSU and its dedicated cables. Shown with a 360* view when possible.
GEDC0605.jpg

GEDC0604.jpg

GEDC0603.jpg

GEDC0602.jpg

Next up, reinstalled the HDD cage to aide in cable management (removed one of the SATA modulars)
GEDC0606.jpg

HDD and installing it in its cage.
GEDC0609.jpg

GEDC0607.jpg

Motherboard in and wired more or less. 8 pin CPU (EPS I believe?) and front panel connectors are routed behind the motherboard, but above the mobo mount plate.
GEDC0615.jpg

RAM is in. Moved them out in 2nd and 4th DIMMs to be sure that the 212 EVO will fit worry free tomorrow.
GEDC0618.jpg

this one shows the SATA and PCIe power cables in as well as the managing of the 24 pin.
GEDC0619.jpg

GPU installed and powered.
GEDC0620.jpg

SATA data cable to the HDD in there.
GEDC0621.jpg

GEDC0623.jpg

DVD SATA DATA cable in there. Got it run round as far as I could to make it easier to get the back panel on.
GEDC0624.jpg

GEDC0626.jpg

Final picture I thought.
GEDC0625.jpg

then I noticed as I was uploading the pictures, that there was 3 fans and 12 screws laying there. So installed them.
GEDC0627.jpg

and
GEDC0628.jpg

Updates coming tomorrow with the 2600k and 212 EVO, and then another update when the 480 gets here. So not much more to do for now.

wolfeking

banned
I did it in just under 35 minutes, and got no enjoyment. It is not "fun", it is necessary,

Yep. It is nice. Did you see anything that needs to be changed?

Cheese, so serious. Building computers is a hobby (for most people), and why do people have hobbys? Because they like it. Rebuilding your computer is not "Necessary". It looks good to me.

wolfeking

banned
It was necessary to move the cables from under the mount holes to get the 212 in tomorrow. So I had to remove the motherboard to gain access to them. Hoping that centering them under the CPU hole would work.

Technically the PSU cables are already "sleeved" and it is pert near impossible to find sleeves that are solid. I am getting a sleeved PSU that is a bit better with it next month when I go SLI.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341053 to be exact.

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aaargghh,Get those exposed pins covered up on the CPU socket! :D
How come you removed the CPU?

wolfeking

banned
2600k is on truck for delivery tomorrow. I got a cover in my H61 motherboard, I will get it out and cover the pins, and install the g530 in the H61 for storage.

wolfeking

banned
you and jonny and every one else. 480 will blow everything out away. 480 SLI will ensure 60 FPS. knowing this, why would I spend more just to get a card that will run far beyond 60 FPS that will show no difference at all on a 60Hz monitor? I do not need anything more, and I will not get nothing more. I am not running a bloody 100000p monitor that needs double a 580 to play. I will never have one, I never need one.

jonnyp11

looks good but when you change psu's i'd use black zip ties, the yellow bugs me as nothing else is yellow to match it, with the red gpu right now red would have been ok.

Also, you ran the cables for the cpu power and some other crap right were the rear bracket will be, so you'll have some fun with that.

You're gonna have so much fun if you get another motherboard, and you are getting another psu so that'll be fun too, i'd get them at the same time or not get the mobo since you don't like taking it apart

wolfeking

banned
yellow are the last ones in this pack of zip ties, them and some white ones that are 7" long. Could not run to the store this late as all our stores are closed now, and when I started at 1030 ish too.

CPU power has got to go there. It is barely long enough as is. moving it will make it not reach. If they need to be moved, then I will just use the damn stock cooler. same difference. They do the same thing,

jonnyp11

i meant you'll have to move it to be able to put the brackets on, it might shorten the reach by a couple mm's afterwords though. You'll just have to unplug it and i couldn't tell if you zipped it somewhere

jonnyp11

This got me thinking about cable management and i had the idea, msi or gigabyte (make both boards and cases) should make a case with the motherboard built in, then either have special mobos or adapters that would move the plug-in to behind the tray, i know it takes some of the choice out of building but it would just be so clean and nice, maybe convince ASRock and Cooler Master to work together or something. Just a random idea that'd be really cool, really if they just made all the plug-ins in the same spot that'd be better then all the case companies could do it.

jonnyp11

Something like this, Wolfe? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Akasa-Flexa...nnectors_RL&hash=item45fdf054ff#ht_964wt_1163

Looks good to me. Your cable management is a lot better than mine (but then again you do have a better case). To be honest I wouldn't get too worried about the yellow zip ties - they're only going to be hidden by the side panel which has no windows or anything, so nobody's going to see them.

why does the UK have to have nice stuff, why can't newegg have that?

Perkomate

you and jonny and every one else. 480 will blow everything out away. 480 SLI will ensure 60 FPS. knowing this, why would I spend more just to get a card that will run far beyond 60 FPS that will show no difference at all on a 60Hz monitor? I do not need anything more, and I will not get nothing more. I am not running a bloody 100000p monitor that needs double a 580 to play. I will never have one, I never need one.

agreed. That's why I can get away with a 5770 on a shitty monitor. There's not much point spending money on something that you're not gonna use. Past 35 or 40 frames and you see near no difference.