(re)build thread

wolfeking

banned
Well if we searched for days on ebay, we would find something similar. But I don't like ebay right now. My 480 has shipped and no tracking info is available anywhere. Same for the trumpet I got last month and the video card before that. So yea.

But anyway, I think I will get the $3 one from newegg and just slip the cable behind the case.

Bent one of the capacitors on my mother board, but it still starts up (had to mount the CPU to try.) so a little worried about that.

As it is, it is looking like this
GEDC0632.jpg

GEDC0629.jpg

jonnyp11

you and jonny and every one else. 480 will blow everything out away. 480 SLI will ensure 60 FPS. knowing this, why would I spend more just to get a card that will run far beyond 60 FPS that will show no difference at all on a 60Hz monitor? I do not need anything more, and I will not get nothing more. I am not running a bloody 100000p monitor that needs double a 580 to play. I will never have one, I never need one.

and really, look at anandtech and the 480sli isn't too far behind the 580sli, which kills the 670, so 480sli is better IMO, power wise maybe not, drivers and support maybe not too, but bang for buck, 670 got smashed.

wolfeking

banned
agreed. That's why I can get away with a 5770 on a shitty monitor. There's not much point spending money on something that you're not gonna use. Past 35 or 40 frames and you see near no difference.

agreed. I really don't need one. I mainly was worried about BF3 and folding, but I can get along just fine on my current hardware. And everyone keeps saying to buy new. The way I see it is that I don't need it and I sure as hell won't pay for it. I can run just fine off a 7900m GTX (FX 2500m OC) so getting a 670 is just wasting money. I will be set till DX12 with 480 SLI, so no need to get more down the road.

wolfeking

banned
and really, look at anandtech and the 480sli isn't too far behind the 580sli, which kills the 670, so 480sli is better IMO, power wise maybe not, drivers and support maybe not too, but bang for buck, 670 got smashed.
personally, I don't care if it beats it, if it has better drivers, or even if it get killed by the 670. It is enough for me, and it will continue to be enough. I don't need anything better than the 4870 as it still plays just fine.

wolfeking

banned
untitled-70.jpg

GBP and Royal Mail tell me that it is coming from the UK. not that there is anything wrong with that. Ive ordered things from Italy and Germany before, and they ship okay.
Just not wanting to pay $7 for a cable because it is black. Especially when I can get the same thing stateside for $3 with 1.99 shipping.

spirit

Staff member
Ah yeah I see, and I've just looked and it is on eBay.co.uk too. Yeah I'd just get one Newegg which Jonny linked to earlier. Cheaper and does the same job. Take it you're looking at routing your cable behind the board tray then?

spirit

Staff member
If you're going to be getting a new power supply I'd leave it for now and see if the new PSU has a cable long enough to fit behind the board.

wolfeking

banned
I don't think I am going to keep this case when I switch it. I will probably get the fatality board, a case with better management, the PSU and then worry about a second or 3rd 480 and some other do dads I don't really need but would like to have. That of coarse is hoping that I can find exactly what I want.

MyCattMaxx

Cheese, so serious. Building computers is a hobby (for most people), and why do people have hobbys? Because they like it. Rebuilding your computer is not "Necessary". It looks good to me.
Wire management is never fun, even after you have built a bunch of machines it still isn't fun.
You know, I heard you got the used 480, but, shouldnt you have got a GTX 670 for $350 used which would be like triple performance of 480 sli? Your choice, so okay. :cool:
His money, his choice.
I wish you would quit dogging people because they didn't choose what you would.
looks good but when you change psu's i'd use black zip ties, the yellow bugs me as nothing else is yellow to match it, with the red gpu right now red would have been ok.

~snip~
The thing I like about the yellow is with my old fart eyes I can see them better when I have to cut them off later.
I hate accidentally cutting into the harness.
can use some electrical tape to hide color maybe?
Electrical tape leaves a sticky film when removed, I personally wouldn't do it.
Edit: And the sticky film looks like crap once the dust adheres to it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Looks good to me, way better than my cable management.
Looking forward to further updates when the goodies arrive.

My cooler arrives tomorrow.

Last edited:

jonnyp11

I think i'd add a sound card and good speakers or a good headset before getting a third 480, i know sli doesn't scale too well and IIRC triple sli's scaling just goes down the crapper and the heat would be unbelievable, I'd get some water cooler plated and tubing and an H100 before a third and see how that works, not sure how well it would pump, but really if need be you could stick another pump in there and keep the h100's resivoir and radiator and all

wolfeking

banned
GTX 480 is in, as well as the 2600k and 212 evo. I think I got a bad chip though. Running at 40*100 @ 1.30 volts and you can see yourself what the issue is.
Untitled-71.png

GEDC0635.jpg

hmm... now what to do.

jonnyp11

disable all the speed step and all that crap in the bios first and remove the overclock for now i'd say, just see what happens. Then if it's still bad the problem is it could be the mobo or the cpu, you still have that H61 don't you? of course overclocking is supposed to void the warranty, might want to sign up for that and if it is it then newegg should give you a quick RMA, if it's the motherboard then it might be past newegg's coverage and you might lose it for a month or 2 to ASRock while they do whatever.

jonnyp11

I still have the H61, but what does that matter? and removing the OC and disabling everything now.

to test the 2600k, so if it comes up as 4/8 then you need to replace the mobo, if it still comes up as 1/2 with super low clocks then it's the processor.

wolfeking

banned
hmm.. Let me see if I can find a hard drive to use to test that motherboard.

I did just reseat the processor and heatsink, and that did nil to help. It still says 1/2 and I reset the BIOS and proceeded to disable a bunch of options right under the core clock and set everything else except RAM speed and volts to stock. No help still.

edit, found my 640GB drive and ubuntu disk. Getting the board disassembled to test it now.

Hyper-Threaded

hmm.. Let me see if I can find a hard drive to use to test that motherboard.

I did just reseat the processor and heatsink, and that did nil to help. It still says 1/2 and I reset the BIOS and proceeded to disable a bunch of options right under the core clock and set everything else except RAM speed and volts to stock. No help still.

edit, found my 640GB drive and ubuntu disk. Getting the board disassembled to test it now.

You said something about core unlocking in bios, in the other thread and it says only 1 core, Try it? You can disable- enable cores on intel and amd.

Last edited:

wolfeking

banned
core unlocker was printed on HIS board. And the BIOS has no options for core locking on intel. Seriously If you don't know, don't suggest.