Reasons to get a laptop for a high school student?

AUTOBOOT2000

In my mind, a PDA is for things like scheduling or checking email at most. The screen is definitely too small to be used for things like firefox or word.

I use my archos for web surfing and it is not even a pda. I also have a pda with word that I can use fine and If I really need to I can use my desktop in extreme cases.

Also that's why I have adapters to plug it in the tv via s-video or components then voila you use any tv as a screen.

ikermalli

@ Glad3r Same here! If he could find a good one, I am open to it, I just really need portability.
@ AUTOOBOOT2000 Well I really don't want to be using a PDA as my main entertainment on a road trip or flight, and also I probably wouldn't have many screens available to use on those trips, plus I would need to buy a hardware keyboard SO, AC adapter, PDA, Cables, Hardware keyboard = more hassle than a laptop

Last edited:

ikermalli

Got ya there huh? Ok, so how is this trade:

My desktop:
19" Monitor
EPoX AP550PRO Mobo
AMD Athalon 64 X2 5200+
1 GB RAM
160 GB HDD
nVidia 7600 GT

For my moms laptop"
Intel Celeron M 1.86 GHz
80 GB HDD
Windows XP or Vista Ultimate (reformatting it)
894 mb of RAM
Onboard graphics
15.4 inch screen

Either get that, or wait for a few weeks and get a Dell Inspiron 1525 or a Dell Studio 15 (no christmas presents, we dont celebrate it)

I know it is half the HDD space, but would it be good for web surfing, MS Word, IM and iTunes side by side, along with quickpwn sometimes (i jailbreak iPod touches and iPhones for people) or would it be too slow? The battery life is crap I know that, so that is a HUGE downfall.

AUTOBOOT2000

@ Glad3r Same here! If he could find a good one, I am open to it, I just really need portability.
@ AUTOOBOOT2000 Well I really don't want to be using a PDA as my main entertainment on a road trip or flight, and also I probably wouldn't have many screens available to use on those trips, plus I would need to buy a hardware keyboard SO, AC adapter, PDA, Cables, Hardware keyboard = more hassle than a laptop

What PDA are you using? I have 1 chord with my pda. Your just a stubborn little kid.

ikermalli

No, I'm just not educated about PDAs, or about them being desktop replacements when hooked up to an LCD display. I have used my moms palm one before, I didn't think it was good at all, but that was while ago.

AUTOBOOT2000

No, I'm just not educated about PDAs, or about them being desktop replacements when hooked up to an LCD display. I have used my moms palm one before, I didn't think it was good at all, but that was while ago.

Why do you keep acting like a laptop is a desktop replacement, the cheapest desktop replacement laptop would cost about 2500$.

ikermalli

I don't need one of the specially named desktop replacements that re really powerful, I just need one that will do the stuff I need done quickly. To tell the truth, if you are going to get an acer aspire one to replace some really old desktop because you don't use the computer much it IS a desktop replacement, because it is REPLACING your desktop, not because it was named specially

AUTOBOOT2000

I don't need one of the specially named desktop replacements that re really powerful, I just need one that will do the stuff I need done quickly. To tell the truth, if you are going to get an acer aspire one to replace some really old desktop because you don't use the computer much it IS a desktop replacement, because it is REPLACING your desktop, not because it was named specially

*sigh* a pda can do the same thing.

AUTOBOOT2000

WRONG if you get crap parts then that's what your going to get crap, I am not talking about paying for name brand I am talking about paying for quality.

Check out the Palm T|X Its freaking awesome! I had one before I got my blackberry.

Finally someone with a brain around here!

ikermalli

That is $400! I might as well get an aspire one if I was going to spend that much on a PDA... but if you have any good links I might get one

ikermalli

Okay, so now I have gotten the go ahead from my parents to look for laptops. I am looking at the core configuration for the Dell Inspiron 1525 for $549. Would that be good for Mozilla Firefox, iTunes or Limewire and MS Word? Oh, and a little bit of gaming? Nothing big, just free stuff. To what extent could I push the onboard graphics? Also, should I get the one for $549 with 2GB of RAM, bigger hard drive, and faster processor for the stuff I need? Or is there something else? Since it is the recession my dad said $550 right now, he is waiting on something for work, so he could even boost it up to past 1k depending, but most likely he won't, so could someone help me pick a good budget laptop? He might push it to $700 max, because he can't justify spending much money on a computer (yet he pays lots to get the house painted)

gla3dr

should I get the one for $549 with 2GB of RAM, bigger hard drive, and faster processor for the stuff I need?
Are you talking about the one that comes with the Intel Pentium Dual Core? In my opinion, bigger is usually better:)(usually=key word). I say go with the most you are allowed to spend. If you are also looking for other choices, there's the HP Pavilion dv5t series in approx. that price range.

Computers should definitely be higher on the list of priorities than painting the house...

ikermalli

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834107015
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834115524
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834115529

Or the $549 Dell specs:

Intel® Pentium® Dual Core T2410 (2.0GHz/533Mhz FSB/1MB cache)
Genuine Windows Vista® Home Basic Edition SP1
Glossy, widescreen 15.4 inch display (1280x800)
2GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 (2 Dimms)
Size: 250GB SATA Hard Drive (5400RPM)
CD / DVD Writer (DVD+/-RW Drive)
Dell Wireless 1395 802.11g Mini-Card
4 cell battery (how long will this last?)
High Definition Audio 2.0
Intel Graphics Media Accelerator X3100
Integrated 10/100 Network Card

gla3dr

Well the COMPAQ Presario and the Acer Aspire look decent. Couldn't get a look at the third like you have there though, it doesn't work:). Personally, I'd go for the Acer, considering the higher memory. As for CPUs, I'm no expert, but my computer has an AMD Athlon and it has worked well for me so that's another point on the Acer's side. I don't know a lot about Intel GPUs, but I have bad experiences with a Radeon, that's all I can tell you on that point.

As for the 4 cell battery, poeple have said that it lasts about 3 hours, give or take 10, 15 minutes. All depends on usage.;)