Reasons to get a laptop for a high school student?

gla3dr

That's the third link you had there? It looks ok, but I would still go for the Acer, for the 4GB memory, which is really handy if you are thinking of gaming on your laptop. ^that one only has 1GB, which would probably work for a lot of games, but wouldn't run them at medium or high levels.

Here's the link for the dv5t series:
http://www.shopping.hp.com/series/category/notebooks/dv5t_series/3/computer_store

If you click on the specs tab, it'll give you all the choices for hardware and stuff.

ikermalli

Thanks, it is going reaaalllyyy slow for me right now, so it may take a while for the specs for the hp as I am going to go out soon also. S, for the acer, what kind of games do you think I would be able to play on it?

ikermalli

Color Onyx
Operating system Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium with Service Pack 1 (64-bit)
Processor Pentium(R) Dual-Core Mobile Processor T3200 (2.0 GHz)
Display 15.4" diagonal WXGA High-Definition HP BrightView Widescreen Display (1280 x 800)
Memory FREE Upgrade to 4GB DDR2 System Memory (2 Dimm)
Graphics card Intel(R) Graphics Media Accelerator 4500MHD
Hard drive FREE Upgrade to 250GB 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive with HP ProtectSmart Hard Drive Protection
Personalization Webcam Only
Keyboard HP Color Matching Keyboard
Networking Wireless-G Card
Modem Port No Modem
Primary DVD/CD drive SuperMulti 8X DVD+/-R/RW with Double Layer Support
TV & entertainment experience No TV Tuner w/remote control
Primary battery 6 Cell Lithium Ion Battery
Productivity software Microsoft(R) Works 9.0

For 579.99 + shipping. Is that good? What could be run on that as far as games? Any good fps?

gla3dr

Looks good to me. I would have gone with one of the NVIDIA graphics cards but that adds another $100-$200, which it sounds like isn't quite in your budget.
You would be able to play games like fallout 3 on there, for example. SPORE is a good one:). You could manage that with ease. I bet you would be able to play starcraft 2 when it comes out. FPS might not be extraordinary but I know, for me, as long as animations are smooth, I can deal with slightly sub-super frame rates.

579.99+ shipping seems like a reasonable price to me. You could try comparing to other stores and sites for similar laptops. I am looking to buy one myself so I'll probably be looking around too. I'll keep you updated here on what I find.

Last edited:

ikermalli

Alright, cool. Yeah. I looked at the nvidia, then I looked at the price lol. Yeah 579.99 + free shipping i good. I don't play starcraft games, fallout 3? I think you mean wouldn't not would, on that graphics card. What is spore about? I was hoping to play maybe Medal of Honour, the original gears of war possibly, would I be able to run CoD WaW? I don't mind sub-super frame rates, as long as it is not reeallly laggy or anything, even a slight bit of pixelation doesn't bother me.

gla3dr

Sorry, you're right. I meant wouldn't play fallout 3

Like I said earlier, I don't really know anything about that graphics card. What NVIDIA would it be equivalent to?

Spore is a game that was released this year by Maxis. It's about the evolution of species throughout all of time pretty much. You start out in the "primordial ooze" as a single cell organism and it ends in the space age. The separate stages of the game all have different types of game play. There is RPG style, RTS style, arcade style, etc. The game play is fairly simple but I found it very fun.

ikermalli

I don't know which nvidia it would be equal to either, im not good at finding that stuff out. Yeah, I tried spore lite on my iPhone but I don't think it is too great...

gla3dr

Oh well I don't think spore lite for iphone would do it justice. There's also spore for DS but I doubt either of them compare to the pc version. Some people just didn't like it though. I thought it was incredibly amusing. It makes you feel very...powerful.:)

If it is similar to a 7400-7600, I would definitely upgrade to one of the nvidia cards. But that's just me.

Last edited:

ikermalli

lol, if it was up to me I would too, but it's not, and that would raise the cost a lot. I don't do much gaming anyways, some soldierfront once in a bluemoon, but probably nothing more, i have an Xbox 360 for that :)

gla3dr

Boy, that's gonna be a hard choice for me. I wouldn't go with either of those. Mainly because of the GPUs. If I had to choose out of those though, I would probably go with the Acer. Even though it has Radeon, which I have somewhat of a grudge against, I've heard they're good. It also has the AMD proc, which I like.

ikermalli

Hehe, I'm going to get a new desk today and my mom asked my dad when he was going to take me to get a computer this week because he is leaving soon and he gave her the look because he was trying to hide it. That is my analysis. He might get me a mac

Kill Bill

Hehe, I'm going to get a new desk today and my mom asked my dad when he was going to take me to get a computer this week because he is leaving soon and he gave her the look because he was trying to hide it. That is my analysis. He might get me a mac

Macs nice although if you play games you will need to install windows via boot camp

Kill Bill

Yeah, I know, but I am getting my Xbox 360 fixed... So i'll be fine!

if its the macbook normal make sure he goes aluminum and not the old plastic ones as the aluminum have a 9400M which is about 23% slower than the 8600M GT so it has servicable gaming unlike the plastic with the x3100 although if you need firewire you will have to get the plastic one

ikermalli

I really won't be gaming if I get the mac, I am into photo and video editing. Also I like music, and I want to try mixing or chop/screwing songs too.