Restarting?

Kornowski

VIP Member
I've tried changing the Remote Procedure Call, I'll let you know if it helps...

Also, If it is my PSU, why do I get an error message, The PSU isn't a system part as such... ?

Kornowski

VIP Member
That flow chart isn't really helpfull, but thanks :)

I'll have to wait and see if this Remote Procedure Call setting was the cause...

If it was, Do you think I could use my current PSU with an E6300?

MrJohnDough

yes can run on e6300. e6300eats less power than pentiums or athlons.

check your memory with memtest86. maybe your memory is bad.
random restarts is classic symptom of bad memory.
or unplug unnessesary cd drives or any other non crucial electric
devices and see if your system works fine. maybe your PSU does not
provide enought juice for everything you have.

Kornowski

VIP Member
I thought I'd fixed the probelm, but Nope! It did it again! :(

It puts out 20A on the 12V rail... I think I'll get a new one to be sure... I'm hoping it works!

I've ran memtest and its fine, it got to 100% and there were no errors...

Kornowski

VIP Member
One FINAL last question and then I'll stop bothering you all :p

If I got a new PSU and a new MOBO and CPU do you think it would get rid of the problem?

Thanks for any help :)

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
well as youve said mate you have run memtest and its come back fine with no errors so it must be your psu thats dodgy.

I should think getting a new one alongside your new system parts would sort the problem out.

MrJohnDough

ok try to install clean windows or whatever operating system u use
if it still restarts.
then it's most probably unstable PSU.

you don't need 'new motherboard' new ram and new everything.

get antec psu. one of the most stable voltage psu out there.
good luck

Kornowski

VIP Member
I know, I don't need to get a new CPU and MOBO but I think it's time for an upgrade anyway... plus with the MOBO I found I can keep my RAM and GPU...

I'll try and clean copy of XP, Yeah...

ceewi1 pointed me towards a good PSU, the one I'm going to get actually!

The Antec EarthWatts 380W :D

PC eye

banned
Everytime I look in an office supply store or places like Circuit City, Target, Compusa, and even the pc fair just attended I look around to see what makes and models are sold. Antec. While there are a number of good makes out your situation gave you some limited options and ceewi1 apparently pointed you at the best choice. I doubt you will be system pounding where a 500-700w model is a must.

bldgengineer

After burning up 4 PSU's, this to me sounds like a burned PSU.

oh and btw, I still run dual 800mhz amd processors. ;) 9 years and counting.

PC eye

banned
Surprisingly AMD and Cyrix cpus alike were at one time labeled Intel "clones" due to the similarities seen on the early models. The one thing to remember on the pre-Atholon models was the lower temps seen. That gave those a longer life. Well the old T-Birds used to be oced like crazy. But it sounds like you could use a good Antec model yourself after seeing 4 supplies cook?! :eek: I've yet to see one go bad while others have seen their days go quick.

bldgengineer

LOL! Well the only good thing about having a cheap PSU while living in an area prone to brown outs without a battery back up is the PSU is what "normally" takes the hit. I say normally because I have gone through a couple of mobos as well.

Needless to say, after the next build(within a month or so) I will be buying a decent UPS and PSU :D

bldgengineer

Don't get me wrong, I love my dinosaur. I just think its time it get replaced.

I can remember one time I came home from vacation and (surpise, surprise) we had a brown out while I was gone. Well it fried the mobo. Not the entire mobo just ports for both of the CPU fan power supplies. Max temp readings were 110c with system shutdown @ 120c. My system stayed online long enough for me to get my report done while surfing the internet for references with a 56k modem.

These are the same 2 processors I have today. My only fear is if I have a brown out tonight and my mobo crashes, I'd have to buy a new PC tomorrow.

PC eye

banned
That will be thrilling with a preinstalled Vista package I can imagine. I managed to shell out for a system builders edition ealier. Since putting this case together there has only been one power outage during an electrical storm. No harm done there however. You may want to invest in some good line surge protection along with the backup.

Kornowski

VIP Member
Whats a brown out?

Another question :p

If its the PSU that is causing the problems, why do I get an error message when it boots back up, the PSU isn't part of the computer, if that makes sense...?