Restarting?

PC eye

banned
The first link you posted gives clear instructions that are worth a try. The "patch" you keep referring to is SP1 released in 2002 a year after XP first came out. SP2 came out in 2004 and SP3 is apparently still in the works. The so called "nasty file remover" simply lists ATI drivers for you video card there! This is why I would recommend the total removal of the video drivers and the Catalyst Control Center where you then download a fresh update.

Meanwhile SP3 will obviously include IE 7 and some newer updated security fixes as usual. You don't want to remove SP2 to back to SP1 unless you have come across instruction on that due to a specific problem caused by SP2 bein on the system. The "patch" refers to SP1 for those with no service pack installed with the initial release of XP. Totally removing video and sound drivers along with running a good registry cleaner would be one advice here. The other would involve a repair install of XP if nothing else works.

First you want to test the memory installed to see if you are stuck with faulty ram. http://www.memtest86.com/ Since your temps have been good you have to start looking at other possible defects in hardwares until that can be ruled out totally. A cpu failing or a weak CR2023 Lithium battery or bios programming is getting a little flaky.

Kornowski

VIP Member
So I thought the patch would fix it, but nooooooooooo! :mad:

It did it AGAIN FFS! Do you think my CPU could be dieing, It is a bit old...

PC eye

banned
I haven't ruled out a possible failure there from the start. It would fit the pattern even without the high temps seen on it. Memtest can also be tried out while still being a little cautious about the glitches that were seen here on perfectly good memory. Microsoft has their own diagnostic tool found at http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp

The patch turned out to SP1 while you were ahead of the game with SP2 already installed. Besides a possible impending cpu fail or memory faults having developed the board itself could be having a problem. A fault bios eprom or some bad cap on the board would be another pair of items to look at if power dropoffs were causing this at times.

Kornowski

VIP Member
I'm getting the Memory test now... I may be upgrading anyway... Do you think a new MOBO and CPU would fix the problem? How do I test to see if it's the power?

PC eye

banned
The only real way to see if your supply is at fault is to measure the output amperage level with a load place on the supply or running the system with one known to be good. With a model as close to the current one as possible further problems would rule that out. If no problems are seen you may have found the answer that way.

If you plan a new build then you are basically starting all over fresh. Any problems seen then would be with incompatibility with the selection or defects found with new hardwares. But everything there gives you other options. Of course that's what upgrading entails. If the old Socket A board had held up I would be looking at an AM2 board or simply waiting a little longer for the AM3 due out sometime. But? Socket A became D.O.A.!

Rambo

I know it's a long shot, but have you tried fidgeting the power cables, and plugging them/it into a different socket?

PC eye

banned
Reinspecting power connections and one idea of reseating memory and expansion cards can be thrown in. Something is obvious. but?

Kornowski

VIP Member
I'll try and waggle a few of the cables around... Do you think a new CPU and MOBO would help as it is nearly time for an upgrade anyway...

lovely?

i'm sorry for the bad news, but this sounds like a virus that i have recently been reading about. the symptoms are just as you said, and the virus is not yet blockable by any virus protection yet made. my best advice? delete EVERYTHING if the problem does not go away with any normal tries to fix it. then reinstall windows (if you have the cd of course, ) and start over

PC eye

banned
I'll try and waggle a few of the cables around... Do you think a new CPU and MOBO would help as it is nearly time for an upgrade anyway...

If you went with an upgrade you would need to wipe the drive for a clean install and fresh hardware detection by Windows. That would eliminate any current clashes are far as software is concerned. That would also put you into a new board, cpu, and even faster memory.

i'm sorry for the bad news, but this sounds like a virus that i have recently been reading about. the symptoms are just as you said, and the virus is not yet blockable by any virus protection yet made. my best advice? delete EVERYTHING if the problem does not go away with any normal tries to fix it. then reinstall windows (if you have the cd of course, ) and start over

Not every problem is virus related while some can stiffle the works! But it sounds like scans for viruses, malwares, spywares, adwares, etc. have already been run and rule that out for the most part.

Kornowski

VIP Member
Yeah, I would have to re-format again... I don't mind, It's a fresh start... Is there a way I can check the power supply before I buy other new stuff?

I'll run memtest tonight too,

Thanks

PC eye

banned
You would have to have someone experienced there test the supply by placing a load on it and measuring the output. A pc repair shop or an electronics tech would know to perform that easy enough. Antec and other brands offer some low cost supply testers. But I remain skeptical even while having one hanging around here since it's a set of three leds to show if there is power seen on the main connector.

PC eye

banned
Testing a supply with a multimeter or watt meter is basic for an experienced tech who knows how to place a load on it correctly. Many techs won't even charge a fee since it only takes a few minutes to run some quick tests to see if the supply is good or needs replacement.

Even if you buy a new supply now and find a board fault you will have something better for the eventual upgrade to a new build. But your current situation is a little awkward for that at this time. Have it tested since finding that bad will be less costly then finding the board, cpu, or memory bad and then have to replace those.