Same old same old

FuryRosewood

i would recommend against the 660Ti if you wish to use AA at all. it gets severely bottlenecked compared to other solutions in the price range.

wolfeking

banned
Other solutions in that price range are AMD cards, and the only way I would buy them is if they were on sale for about $20 for a 7970. That is what they are worth in my opinion.

Jamebonds1

i would recommend against the 660Ti if you wish to use AA at all. it gets severely bottlenecked compared to other solutions in the price range.

It is newest that support PCIe 3.0 and is affordable, but it is not going get you over 60 FPS avg on Crysis 2.

spirit

Staff member
My advice to you would be to get that EVGA 670 you were looking at, it's the strongest of the cards you listed there and as you want to do CAD and stuff and you said to me you'd likely be using CUDA, I think it will be a good choice.

As for RAM, leave it for now, you can upgrade later. As for the monitor, eh, I don't know a lot about them. Those ones there you listed all seem pretty good. I know ASUS make good monitors and apparently Acer's monitors are also pretty good. I use Iiyama myself - ProLite E2409HDS. I love the 1ms or 2ms response time (I forget how fast it is now) but for some reason they don't seem to be available in the States.

wolfeking

banned
I would honestly prefer not to mess with the graphics too much currently. The 480 seems to be doing well with it currently.

I would like to get a higher resolution and more RAM as is. I am liking the SSD on the Marvel controler as is. Though right now it is the only drive plugged up (stress testing for temps after the reinstall currently.) It is certainly better than running on the intel SATA 3 ports, which is not normal, but I can not find a reason why.

I will be back at 1100 hours local (1600 hours your time I think). Been up all night and all night the night before. Bout time for some shuteye.

spirit

Staff member
I always had performance issues with Marvell's 6GB/s controllers but if they work for you then that's good news. Maybe Marvell put better controllers on the Z77 boards? Who knows.

OK well if you don't want a new GPU put the money into RAM and a new monitor.

Jamebonds1

I agree with Jason. GTX 480 or GTX 670 (in case if you decide) would be good for CAD and photo design since it has CUDA.

I starting to miss my 9600 GT :(

Jamebonds1

I always had performance issues with Marvell's 6GB/s controllers but if they work for you then that's good news. Maybe Marvell put better controllers on the Z77 boards? Who knows.

OK well if you don't want a new GPU put the money into RAM and a new monitor.

I have Marvell 6 GB/s for eSATA. Never tried but i would if i buy two hard drive for raid. Plus i used to have Marvell wireless.

wolfeking

banned
I think that is what I will do. And it is not that I don't want a new graphics card, but I will not see much benefit at all from a new one at these resolutions. And without the FERMI hotclock feature, it will not do everything much better than what I have (other than just the pure number of cores. Without hotclock, each shader is 1/2 of a fermi shader, so divide by 2 to get th eapproximate fermi cores. 1536/2 = 768.

I think the marvel controller is working as it should, cutting a bit of performance, but still faster than 300MB/s on Intel controller. I think that is a mess up in the eSATA port somewhere.

spirit

Staff member
Is it possible to disable e-SATA in the BIOS? On all the boards I've used, e-SATA just plugs into any old SATA port on the motherboard.

wolfeking

banned
Not them eSATA ports. the one in the I/O area. It shares bandwidth with the Intel SATA3 ports. And no, I have found no option in the BIOS for it.

spirit

Staff member
I think that is what could potentially bottlenecking your Intel controller.

Regardless, you got the Marvell one to work. Can you disable the Intel 6GB/s controller in the BIOS?

wolfeking

banned
Nope, just the Marvell.

I don't think it is supposed to lock it down unless you actually are using the eSATA port, which I am not.

wolfeking

banned
Yea, just kind of seems illogical though that I bought a 830 samsung when I am only getting M4 speeds at max. :( M4 uses less energy too, so better on a laptop.

spirit

Staff member
Crucial M4? I was getting over 500MB/s read with my M4 at one point. The M4 is a fast drive, believe you me!