Same old same old

spirit

Staff member
It was something like 425MB/s IIRC but every time I updated the firmware it got a little faster.

Basically they're fast. So is the SanDisk I have now.

wolfeking

banned
Well, I am getting 480 more or less on the Marvell controller. A faster drive would probably get about the same anyway. I got to time it again, but I know it is booting at 17 seconds before i set it up.

claptonman

Other solutions in that price range are AMD cards, and the only way I would buy them is if they were on sale for about $20 for a 7970. That is what they are worth in my opinion.

If you ever want to go to 1440p, a 7970 would be the best choice. Their memory bus is much faster than the 6xx cards. Kind of wish I got one now that I have my 1440p.

But I know you do a lot of folding, so you'll never get one.

wolfeking

banned
I will never get a AMD card anyway. It is not a folding thing, or even a CAD thing. I hate the company with a burning passion.

wolfeking

banned
because it is better for gaming. But I also said I prefer not to upgrade the graphics as it would be wasted on the 720p resolution.

wolfeking

banned
Okay, so on a path to getting back to where I was. Got to BCLK 106 and multi 40 for speed of 4230 MHz. Yay. 1.250V for temps of 66* average, 74* on the hot core.

One thing that is worrying me is that I think my case is coming apart. The PSU was rattling a little bit, but applying a little pressure on the top makes it stop (I don't mean like push on it, just sitting a screwdriver on top of it), making me think it is either rattling on the case, or came loose from the mount screws. Ill check into it later.

Currently running P95, and it is going to run till after Dr Who tomorrow just to be sure. Probably going to leave this OC for a week, and do some gaming on it and such. Then next weekend I will try multi of 44 for 4.6GHz that the auto OC was running at.

Now back to the thread topic, do you think that it would be better to get another fan to go in push/pull, or just leave it put?
Also probably going to grab a cheap-o SSD for la lappy again, depending on what I can get for it at that time. This HDD is getting on my nerves. Not the speed of it, I am fine with that, besides boot time, I see no difference at all. Everytime I boot up, or resume, or anything that accesses the drive heavy it spins up and sounds like a turbo prop starting, feels like it too. Never bothered me till I went a while without it. :(

RAM is staying put for now.

Storage is staying put for now. (might grab a 64GB flashkey to save some jnk on.)

Case, need to grab a drill bit, a grinder (like a dremel tool I think) and some more spray paint to finish up. I am happy with how the front panel connector reroute turned out, so I am going to do that with some more of the wires.

Graphics, staying put. It is running fine, and from what I am seeing, should be able to handle 1080p just fine.
BF3 will run fine on it at 1080p for sure, as will warfighter (budgeting for that, as I want to continue the story, and I have all the other MOH games ever made).

I guess what I am saying is that I am mainly staying put. Just grabbing a monitor, Dual link cable, and SSD for le laptop.

jonnyp11

Okay, so on a path to getting back to where I was. Got to BCLK 106 and multi 40 for speed of 4230 MHz. Yay. 1.250V for temps of 66* average, 74* on the hot core.

One thing that is worrying me is that I think my case is coming apart. The PSU was rattling a little bit, but applying a little pressure on the top makes it stop (I don't mean like push on it, just sitting a screwdriver on top of it), making me think it is either rattling on the case, or came loose from the mount screws. Ill check into it later.

Currently running P95, and it is going to run till after Dr Who tomorrow just to be sure. Probably going to leave this OC for a week, and do some gaming on it and such. Then next weekend I will try multi of 44 for 4.6GHz that the auto OC was running at.

Now back to the thread topic, do you think that it would be better to get another fan to go in push/pull, or just leave it put?
Also probably going to grab a cheap-o SSD for la lappy again, depending on what I can get for it at that time. This HDD is getting on my nerves. Not the speed of it, I am fine with that, besides boot time, I see no difference at all. Everytime I boot up, or resume, or anything that accesses the drive heavy it spins up and sounds like a turbo prop starting, feels like it too. Never bothered me till I went a while without it. :(

RAM is staying put for now.

Storage is staying put for now. (might grab a 64GB flashkey to save some jnk on.)

Case, need to grab a drill bit, a grinder (like a dremel tool I think) and some more spray paint to finish up. I am happy with how the front panel connector reroute turned out, so I am going to do that with some more of the wires.

Graphics, staying put. It is running fine, and from what I am seeing, should be able to handle 1080p just fine.
BF3 will run fine on it at 1080p for sure, as will warfighter (budgeting for that, as I want to continue the story, and I have all the other MOH games ever made).

I guess what I am saying is that I am mainly staying put. Just grabbing a monitor, Dual link cable, and SSD for le laptop.

yeah, might not be maxing stuff but you'll be fine for any game out for a while, easily getting high settings, my 470 maxes everything at 1280x1024 and normally averages really well.

wolfeking

banned
Actually for every game I have I should be maxxing it at 1080p with a 480. Battlefield 3 will be maxxing easy. Everything else I could max at 1080p with the 4870 (seeing as they are all basically console ports and make little use of computer power. MOH and MW2/3 for example).

spirit

Staff member
yeah, might not be maxing stuff but you'll be fine for any game out for a while, easily getting high settings, my 470 maxes everything at 1280x1024 and normally averages really well.

I hope you can max everything out at 1280x1024 on a 470, else there are some problems!

A 480 will be fine for 1080p. My 5870 still maxes games out at 1080p and the 480 is a stronger card than the 5870.

spirit

Staff member
Kingston is rated for a higher read/write speed. Their SSDs are meant to be very reliable too.