Same old same old

Perkomate

2600K and Hyper 212 is an awesome combo, if that's what you're going for. I love my 212. The newegg links don't work for me. What case are you using?

wolfeking

banned
*looks at box, then sig* HAF 912. It will fit, if not I am not opposed to removing the left panel permanently.

I really want to get the 2600k as it is one of the best, I would do 3770k but it is out of stock and has been practically since release. But yea. What worries me is that I have a upper low end board and thus it probably will not OC well.

And I am trying to figure out what I really want to get with it. I am not sure I need a new GPU just yet, as I am not going to see much better performance than what I get now because of my resolution. And I need new games as I have beat the ones I have time and time again other than MOH:Airborne and Arma II.

I really need something to help with cable management outside the case as they are just horrid.
was going to put a pic here but photobucket is not working right now.

Perkomate

had a brain fart and didn't see the sig.
The motherboard choice doesn't matter as much as some people make it out to. I mean, my board was cheap as chips and overclocks pretty damn well.

wolfeking

banned
no, no, no. I could not think of the name. I had to look it up. Sorry.

I think it matters a little more than just being there with a compatible chipset. I think 87dtna was saying somewhere on here that his extreme4m was not stable overclocking or something like that. But we shall see. I foresee googling a lot of the BIOS options. I know I never found the RAM voltages. I tried to lower them to 8-8-8-24 and 8-9-8-24 and neither would boot, and I could not find it to up the volts to see if it helped. And I bet that the CPU is going to be hard to find also.

wolfeking

banned
okay, so I shut it down and booted into the BIOS and looked around. I have not a clue what most of them are, but I found the RAM voltage, Don't know why I did not see it before. I set the voltage down to 1.5 volts on it, and seems to be stable. Not gamed on it yet though. Does anyone know if there is a benchmark or something similar that targets RAM that I could use to test if it is stable at 1.5 (reduced from 1.65)? timings are still 9-9-9-24, but I will play with that later.

wolfeking

banned
okay, so I think I got it narrowed pretty well right now.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115070
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820220619
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820220673 (x2)

and for cooling either a loop setup like http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835106183 or the H100 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835181017

Which puts me (using the loop as a place holder for budget) at $555. After that, I will go to a 1080p monitor, maybe 1440p and 680SLI. Going one 680 at a time though as I will need a better supply to run both.

wolfeking

banned
Well I do not know for sure if I want 1440p. It looks like you need a pretty big monitor to get 1440p. 1080p seems to not go very small either. What I need is a 22" 1440p or 17" 1080p, and I don't think I can get them that small. So I will loose detail from what I am used to.

But may I ask why the H100?

spirit

Staff member
The H100 is just cheaper, easier to fit and doesn't take up 5.25" drive bays in the front of your case. It's a great cooler too.

Why do you need a 17" 1080p or a 22" 1440p? Why not get a 24" 1080p or 1920x1200?

wolfeking

banned
well, I am spending money on it, so I want to match the DPI of my M90 cause the picture quality is amazing. But to get 130 DPI it would have to be a 17" 1080p (about 1% off to the low end) or 22" 1440p (was slightly over at 133 DPI iirc). I definately can not go very big at any point as I only have 20.5" laterally to fit it in. the 19" I have now is about 3.25" smaller than the space.

And for the cooler I figured if I go to the loop setup then I could easily upgrade to a full loop on the GPUs, chipset, CPU, mosfets, HDDs, and RAM later on, a little at a time. But again, If I go for the H100, then I can get a monitor and 680 august, a 680 September and a full water cooler in October probably. :/ I don't know, either way will run fine.

spirit

Staff member
Ah yeah OK I see your issue with space and the monitors. Your current 19" is 720p isn't it?

I also see why you'd want a full loop, but I'd go for the H100 and then grab a monitor and a 680 in a couple of month's time. You may use for the 680 and find that you don't even really need to water-cool it.

wolfeking

banned
It is 720p (well 1366*768 don't see why that is 720p but it is). And really the picture is lacking. Everything is so big.

Really I do not need to water cool at all. I want to water cool it. Plus I can probably OC the heck out of it then. Like 1200 core and 5000 MHZ CPU and 2000MHz or the like on the RAM. Don't really see how I would benefit from it, but I would still do it.

wolfeking

banned
That's what worries me. I put a lot of stuff ahead of me and probably get too in over my head. I have done it bunches before. Reference: Truck don't start. Check battery. check starter. Rebuild engine. still don't start. Looks at the one parts left, solenoid, replaces it, starts right up. :I

I will look around, but I will probably never need anything above a 212+, but I will get a H series anyway most likely.

spirit

Staff member
Yeah don't spend money on stuff you don't need. Even something like an H50 or an H70 would be fine.

If you only want to overclock on stock voltages and up to around 4.0GHz, then you wouldn't really need to water cool at all, something like a 212+ would be fine.

wolfeking

banned
Well I am not sure I can get out of stock volts on this board anyway. I tried overclocking earlier and even just 102*24 (2448 MHz) would not boot, even at 1.50 volts. :I But it will run 1.05 volts at 100*24.

I may be worrying about nothing, but I assume that if I can't do it now, it won't work later either.

I will see where it goes, but even at stock speeds a water loop like the H100 would drop the temps closer to room temp, yes?

spirit

Staff member
Yep at stock speeds/voltages water-cooling would reduce the temperature a lot.

If you're going to be using the i7 with the Z77 board, then overclocking will be a lot easier. Are you currently trying to overclock on your H61 board?

wolfeking

banned
no. On the extreme4. There is no overclocking other than the built in GPU on a H61. The chipset does not support it.

spirit

Staff member
Yeah I thought H61 didn't support CPU overclocking. So your Z77 Extreme4 is not a great board for overclocking then, I gather?

wolfeking

banned
I don't know if it is the board or the CPU, but there are people on here that have a sandy bridge at 108 and stable, so thinking it is the board. I will get the CPU first and see how it does, but I may have to get a P67 board from Gigabyte or EVGA.