Same old same old

Jamebonds1

Yes. On the intel SATA3 ports I max out at 250MB/s (pretty much sata 2). The marvel controller I do much better with.
The below shot is with the marvel controller. I will reset to stock and take a shot with the intel controller for comparison.
Untitled_zpsfccba58a.jpg

Yeah. I know about intel chipset for LGA 1155. I had read report issue and news about LGA 1155 serial two years ago. Some SATA 3 is control by intel chipset.

wolfeking

banned
The intel chipset is fine. The issue is that mine is not running at sata 3 speeds. The chipset issue was fixed with the B3 revision anyway.

I am still trying to figure out what is up. I have ran AS SSD 3 times now on my SSD on the intel set and it is saying I am getting 44MB writes and 3846MB reads. :( I think it is time for ATTO.

wolfeking

banned
I give up. Seriously. The intel controller seems to be killing writes and artificially inflating the reads beyond SATA 3 capability.
Untitled-146.jpg

edit: BTW this is 3rd boot and 8th run on both test.

Jamebonds1

The intel chipset is fine. The issue is that mine is not running at sata 3 speeds. The chipset issue was fixed with the B3 revision anyway.

I am still trying to figure out what is up. I have ran AS SSD 3 times now on my SSD on the intel set and it is saying I am getting 44MB writes and 3846MB reads. :( I think it is time for ATTO.

What does ATTO mean?

spirit

Staff member
if you sold them together on ebay or something you could probs get around 300 for your current cpu/mobo and upgrade to a 3770k and sniper z77.

That would be a pointless CPU upgrade. Besides PCI Express 3.0 and a smaller process, there is very little difference at all between a 2600K and a 3770K. May as well keep the 3770K.

I agree with Wolfe's comments about how P67 would be better for the 2600K because you won't be getting the full potential out of the Z77 board with a 2600K, so I'd say go for the EVGA. The GB does have great onboard sound, but really onboard sound these days is pretty good.

I know you don't like cases with side windows, I found a nice case from Fractal which should support either one of those boards (the GB and the EVGA, they're E-ATX boards right?) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811352017 has no side window either so maybe better for you? Not sure. Case is a personal choice but that's one which I suggest.

wolfeking

banned
I think jonny was mainly saying if I wanted to go for the sniper3 that it would be better to upgrade to a 3770k to match it. But I really don't want to go with ebay again. I ended up only about $40 to the good when I sold one of my trumpets due to the shipping cost (stupid enough to offer free shipping) and fees. :( Not going through it again.

P67 would be better chip for the board, but with the board overall, is the EVGA a good enough board to keep up with the gigabyte? Basically I am looking for a 790i in P67/z68/z77 form, if that makes sense. I want a really good board. Not the extreme 4 that is "good" for its price point, but one that is bloody brilliant bar nothing.

I like that case. The only thing that worries me is that its cable management does not see to be as robust as the switch. However, I do have a drill and plan on getting a dremel router, so if it is not robust enough, then I will be able to make it robust enough.

Is the cooling good in that case? I know I have probably ask before. We had it narrowed once before down to the switch or the XL, and it became a toss up between cables and the window.
One thing that you won't know, but I wonder if by "steel" newegg means cold rolled welded steel, or the hot rolled, stamped steel? Won't matter either way, just kind of a question I ask. Sort of when I get a trumpet, I ask for a print out of the alloys cast in it. Love seeing the high copper single piece bells, and to some extent the machine steel bells from 41-45. Sorry, im diverging here. The XL will be a great case assuming the cooling is good.

spirit

Staff member
The EVGA should probably be a good board for overclocking, EVGA only tend to make high-end boards anyway. We'll have to look it up and see how people have been doing with overclocking on it.

The Define XL's cable management is pretty good, you should be fine with it, you may not even need to modify it in order to get what you want. The cooling should also be good. I know that G80FTW has one of those cases so he'd be the guy to speak to if you want a user's opinion on that case.

The alternative is the NZXT Phantom which has great cable management and cooling but I know you're not a fan of the looks of it.

wolfeking

banned
the switch 810 has better cable management from the looks of it. Appears to have grommets under the motherboard at least, which would make the front panel connectors, as well as probably sata cable routing easier. Though I would have to sit down with a p67 FTW and both cases to make a final call I could live with.

I will ask around elsewhere to some people that spend their lives overclocking to find out if it is a great board, or if the gigabyte is better.

wolfeking

banned
I looked at the olive drab one, which I think is a corsair. I liked it, but I don't remember why I decided not to get it. Might have been lack of XL/e ATX.

wolfeking

banned
okay, looking at some things now. Plans are currently to sell the 2600k and H61DE/S3 for $220 plus shipping. That should not be too bad. Looking to replace it with LGA1156 or LGA1366, not sure which yet.

Buying the laptop parts soon, maybe within the hour. But I am not 100% on 9 cell or 12 cell yet. Just thinking it out right now.

May trade up +140 to the 580, but I am not sure I will have enough, or that the change will be worth it.

wolfeking

banned
okay, I bought a 12 cell battery, and by the end of the week plan on putting the SSD back into it. I was stupid and bought useless things like a tool box and a radio/cd/turntable/tape deck so I did not get anything for the desktop yet.

What I am going to ask for is simple, and most people do the same basic thing. Budget is 810. Need a CPU, Graphics card, motherboard, and anything else that you think might be good. What do you recommend? And it needs to support IDE and floppy, and I prefer PS/2 ports, but that is not a deal breaker. Thinking a 670 or 7970, yes?

Jamebonds1

okay, I bought a 12 cell battery, and by the end of the week plan on putting the SSD back into it. I was stupid and bought useless things like a tool box and a radio/cd/turntable/tape deck so I did not get anything for the desktop yet.

What I am going to ask for is simple, and most people do the same basic thing. Budget is 810. Need a CPU, Graphics card, motherboard, and anything else that you think might be good. What do you recommend? And it needs to support IDE and floppy, and I prefer PS/2 ports, but that is not a deal breaker. Thinking a 670 or 7970, yes?

I have one question. Would USB to IDE and USB floppy work?

spirit

Staff member
Going by the fact you want IDE and floppy, I'm guessing you want older parts. The P6T Deluxe V2 you told me about the other day still looks good to me, pair it with a 1366 CPU and 6GB or 12GB of DDR3 (3x2 or 3x4) and you should be good. I'm not sure if there any Z68 or Z77 boards with both IDE and floppy support.

Graphics card wise, in most cases the 7970 is faster than the 670. http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/508?vs=598

wolfeking

banned
I have one question. Would USB to IDE and USB floppy work?
IDE needs to be internal. Expansion card is fine.
Floppy can be externnal. I do not care how the floppy drives attach at this point. But all you are asking for it to keep me on the current gen processors.

Going by the fact you want IDE and floppy, I'm guessing you want older parts. The P6T Deluxe V2 you told me about the other day still looks good to me, pair it with a 1366 CPU and 6GB or 12GB of DDR3 (3x2 or 3x4) and you should be good. I'm not sure if there any Z68 or Z77 boards with both IDE and floppy support.

Graphics card wise, in most cases the 7970 is faster than the 670. http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/508?vs=598
I know they are faster. But they are AMD. With a slight OC, they can tie a 680, yes?

I am not completely sure what I will do yet.

wolfeking

banned

spirit

Staff member
^ No comment. :/

Usually overclocked 7970s are faster than stock 680s. IIRC, the performance difference between the two at stock is pretty close too.

wolfeking

banned
okay, well a 7970 it is then, since they are going for 670 prices with 680 power.

does that CPU and board look okay?