Security Cams over Net?

Da Mail Man

Okay,

I decided to give you the directions to the DVR/CCTV recorder -- is as follows; WTF did i get into here!?:(
(This appears to be the model number as i found on the box) - http://www.dvrusa.com/TX16480H.asp

Network setup:
From your DVR log in screen click menu, setup, setup, network, LAN. Click DHCP, apply then reboot. DDNS is only required if you have a public dynamic IP.

After rebooting back into the network section of the menu, you will find your local IP address (example "192.168.1.2"). Type this into a computer on the same network and an Internet window.

Once you have gotten to the blank DVR Remote Management Page you will have to adjust some firewall settings to allow the active X to run. This will need to be done to every computer the first time.

From your Internet Explorer click on Tools, Internet Options, Security Tab, Trusted Sites, Sites - (add the IP address to your trusted sites), box below for server verification must be unchecked.
Next go to Custom Levels and enable everything in regards to active X. There are over a half dozen spread throughout the list so make sure you enable all. Also explained at: HTTP://www.dvrusa.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=23

**NOTE - the link appears to be dead but, this one appears to take you to the distributor/manufacturer** http://www.dvrusa.com/index.asp

Next you must log into your Router/Gateway and port forward 80, 101 and 8670 to your local IP address. This can be better explained on our forum or through your provider. Visit our forum at HTTP://www.dvrusa.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=23 .

Once you have performed Port Forwarding correctly, you must use your Public IP OUTSIDE-of-your-network and the DVR IP INSIDE your local Intranet to access viewing.

#################################

Client software setup;

This process is a little tedious and may not make too much sense, but simply follow the steps one by one and you should not have any problems, this is only a first-time setup process so next time will be a click away.

Download the DVR client from the included CD, save the program to your desktop and follow these steps.
1. Create a superuser.
2. Log into software with your superuser info.
3. Click on set "top left corner" .
4. Right-click under "Group" and add group, (call/name it what you want).
5. Right-click on "Device" and "ADD AREA" (also a name of your choice).
6. Now right-click on the area you just created and choose "add device", from here a window will pop up -- fill out the columns as described Name -- (it what you want), channel -- one, username and password of your DVR, then check "Traditional Mode" and your address will be your DVR IP or Public IP and your port will be 8670.

You'll have to add a device for every channel you have - either 8 or 16. This means you must create a device name for every camera. Each one you create will display in the "area column" with the # of cameras each device has.

Now you will highlight the very last device you created with all cameras in it and click the right arrow in between the device list and the group list to add your devices to your group. Now go to "playback", right click on the group you created under the group tab and open all.

Last edited:

Geoff

VIP Member
Seems pretty straight forward, and is what we've been telling you to do from the start. Let us know how it goes once you follow those directions.

Geoff

VIP Member
It's a wireless router with bridge mode, so you'd have to go into the web interface and configure it for this application, but yes that would work.

Da Mail Man

....what concerns me is that i would have a wireless "unit", connected to a dvr box, then that goes/connects wirelessly to a wireless router, which in turn connects to a wired router........

Last edited:

Da Mail Man

Wumc710 ?

.....Looking around a bit, would the following be workable for the application i desire:

Cisco Linksys AC1300 Wireless-AC Universal Media Connector (WUMC710)

Geoff

VIP Member
....what concerns me is that i would have a wireless "unit", connected to a dvr box, then that goes/connects wirelessly to a wireless router, which in turn connects to a wired router........
Yes, because you said you don't want to hard wire the DVR to your wired router... You are replacing a traditional wireless card with a wireless bridge, since the DVR does not have built-in wireless.

.....Looking around a bit, would the following be workable for the application i desire:

Cisco Linksys AC1300 Wireless-AC Universal Media Connector (WUMC710)
That should work as well, but you only have an 802.11g network, if you are going to invest in an 802.11ac device, you should upgrade your router as well.

Da Mail Man

yes, because you said you don't want to hard wire the dvr to your wired router... You are replacing a traditional wireless card with a wireless bridge, since the dvr does not have built-in wireless.
i am in a position/location/situation where i cannot hard-wire the units!!

that should work as well, but you only have an 802.11g network, if you are going to invest in an 802.11ac device, you should upgrade your router as well.
as long as it works, upgrading isn't a major priority at this time.

*THANKS FOR THE REPLY*

Last edited:

Da Mail Man

.....I have a dvr/cctv unit ->

connected to a 802.11ac unit ->

wirelessly connected (I hope) to a wireless linksys router ->

connected (hardwired)to a 4 port wired router ->

(hardwired) to a broadband modem.......

...Can i access either/any one of my routers from any computer here at my residence (192.168.1.1)?

**I Just answered my question!

I picked up that 802.11ac unit the other day and trying to figure out how to make the settings for same.

Last edited:

Da Mail Man

ok....been screwing around with my acquired toy and have some observations and maybe some problems.

....I have the unit plugged in and have dropped all security on it (temp). I have turned on my laptop and have scanned wireless networks and the unit does not find the WUMC-710. AM I INTENSELY INCORRECT IN BELIEVING THAT THIS UNIT SHOULD "THROW OUT A SIGNAL" that my wireless laptop should be able to find?:(

Geoff

VIP Member
ok....been screwing around with my acquired toy and have some observations and maybe some problems.

....I have the unit plugged in and have dropped all security on it (temp). I have turned on my laptop and have scanned wireless networks and the unit does not find the WUMC-710. AM I INTENSELY INCORRECT IN BELIEVING THAT THIS UNIT SHOULD "THROW OUT A SIGNAL" that my wireless laptop should be able to find?:(
What it should do is broadcast nothing, you need to configure the device to connect to your existing wireless network. It's simply a device which connects to your wireless network like any other client, and allows you to connect an ethernet device to it.

Da Mail Man

What it should do is broadcast nothing,
OK

you need to configure the device to connect to your existing wireless network.
THAT IS SOME OF WHAT IS SCREWING ME UP.

It's simply a device which connects to your wireless network like any other client, and allows you to connect an ethernet device to it.
SO, THE WIRELESS ROUTER "FINDS" THIS DEVICE OR, THIS DEVICE FINDS THE WIRELESS ROUTER? ( I KNEW I SHOULDN'T HAVE STARTED TO TRY THIS!).

THE PANEL LIGHTS ON THE UNIT INDICATE IT IS "CONNECTED" BUT, NOT SURE AS TO WHAT/HOW/WHOM....UGH...LOL...I HAVE TWO ROUTERS CONNECTED (1 WIRELESS AND 1 WIRED). I NEED THIS TO CONNECT TO THE WIRELESS ROUTER...THAT BEING SAID, IF I DO THE 192.168. BLAH BLAH, WHICH ROUTER WOULD I ME ACCESSING OR, WOULD IT "GIVE ME THE CHOICE" AND SHOW BOTH FOR SELECTION?

Last edited:

Geoff

VIP Member
I'm sure the device came with documentation, have you read it? It's just like a laptop, you need to tell the device to connect to your wireless router, it doesn't do it automatically.

Da Mail Man

...Further reading of documentation is yielding additional questions.

I have connected the unit via cat 5 to computer, dropped all security (temp), accessed the units' set-up page, where the network name (SSID) was blank - gave it a name, enabled "access via wireless" selection, and according to the on line manual, it appears that if i hit "wireless site survey" button, only 2 networks appear at very low signal strength (neighbors). My wireless router does not appear at all.

I think that i may have wireless security turned on for that wireless router but, that would only stop me from accessing it and it should show in the "wireless survey (as above) as a wireless network in range.

I can kick my laptop on and it finds many connections (using external antenna) and all are password protected but, at least it shows them. I do not believe that i hid my ssid in the wireless router but, could be a slim possibility??

This raises another question; if the ssid was hidden, then how does my laptop pick it up unless i typed it in all manually?

Remind me please - with two routers connected (wired/wireless) how do i access the WIRELESS router by itself? It is plugged into the wired router and 192.xxx.x.x. only brings me to the wired router.
(back from church services at noon to re-check this)

Last edited:

Geoff

VIP Member
...Further reading of documentation is yielding additional questions.

I have connected the unit via cat 5 to computer, dropped all security (temp), accessed the units' set-up page, where the network name (SSID) was blank - gave it a name, enabled "access via wireless" selection, and according to the on line manual, it appears that if i hit "wireless site survey" button, only 2 networks appear at very low signal strength (neighbors). My wireless router does not appear at all.

I think that i may have wireless security turned on for that wireless router but, that would only stop me from accessing it and it should show in the "wireless survey (as above) as a wireless network in range.

I can kick my laptop on and it finds many connections (using external antenna) and all are password protected but, at least it shows them. I do not believe that i hid my ssid in the wireless router but, could be a slim possibility??

This raises another question; if the ssid was hidden, then how does my laptop pick it up unless i typed it in all manually?

Remind me please - with two routers connected (wired/wireless) how do i access the WIRELESS router by itself? It is plugged into the wired router and 192.xxx.x.x. only brings me to the wired router.
(back from church services at noon to re-check this)
No, you don't want to enter "access via wireless" in the SSID field, this is asking for the SSID of your existing wireless network. The site survey feature will show you a list of what this device sees, and you can pick from the list rather than having to enter it manually. If you don't see it, either it's a hidden network or it's too far from the access point.

Do you know the name of your network? If so, enter that name in the SSID field.

For accessing your wireless router, do you have it connected to your wired router via it's WAN or LAN port? If it's a LAN port, you should be able to access it using the IP of the wireless router, if it's the WAN port you're using double-NAT, and won't be able to access it without being on the wireless network.

You will probably come back and say this is too complicated, but we told you before you should not be using two routers on your home network. This is exactly why.