Show off your speed

C4C

Is that part of the rent? Can you get your own internet?

Nope. I'm paying $45 a month for it (modem/router included). CenturyLink has reached a new low :p

Speeds are slightly better when my roommate isn't streaming Netflix.

Steam is downloading at 1.2 Mbps consistently.

5611086966.png

oh yeah, I had a constant ping of 100-350 in CS:GO depending on game type. Something I'll have to get used to unfortunately.

Geoff

VIP Member
Nope. I'm paying $45 a month for it (modem/router included). CenturyLink has reached a new low :p

Speeds are slightly better when my roommate isn't streaming Netflix.

Steam is downloading at 1.2 Mbps consistently.

5611086966.png

oh yeah, I had a constant ping of 100-350 in CS:GO depending on game type. Something I'll have to get used to unfortunately.
What speeds should you be getting?

beers

Staff member
Lol the multi train thing seemed odd to me. I can guarantee it isn't falling apart like how the Kansas city airport is :p

beers

Staff member
Missing that gigabit internet yet?
Eh, I don't think I pirated enough shit to make it worth the difference.

Google Fiber was supposed to be wrapping up their installation in this neighborhood but they are notorious for year+ delays :p

Gig upload was pretty awesome for pulling down media files from home at work though..

Geoff

VIP Member
Eh, I don't think I pirated enough shit to make it worth the difference.

Google Fiber was supposed to be wrapping up their installation in this neighborhood but they are notorious for year+ delays :p

Gig upload was pretty awesome for pulling down media files from home at work though..
Wish I had it here... I do have 2Gbps Comcast available for $300/mo lol.

I actually just signed up for Comcast's 150Mbps plan (fastest they offer here). About time I ditch hijacking free xfinitywifi :p

Geoff

VIP Member
:eek::eek:

but doesn't that mean... you need to run super expensive gear to get above that gigabit bottleneck?
They probably know that all the gear is limited to 1Gbps so they can get away with providing 1Gbps while claiming it's twice as fast as Google Fiber and other gigabit providers, since almost no one would be able to utilize more than 1Gbps.

beers

Staff member
They probably know that all the gear is limited to 1Gbps so they can get away with providing 1Gbps while claiming it's twice as fast as Google Fiber and other gigabit providers, since almost no one would be able to utilize more than 1Gbps.
I wouldn't be surprised if they also gave some BS response when grilled such as "you get 1 Gbps down, AND 1 Gbps up! That's 2 Gbps!"

Geoff

VIP Member
I wouldn't be surprised if they also gave some BS response when grilled such as "you get 1 Gbps down, AND 1 Gbps up! That's 2 Gbps!"
Still better than their 1Gbps cable plan, which looks to be 1Gbps down and only 35Mbps up :(

beers

Staff member
Eat it nerds:
lusMTgY.png

Set up a cellular backup on mah edgerouter on a Meraki MX64. 500 MB/month goes quick unless you shape it to 512k LAN/256k per client down :p

Last edited: