Show off your speed

Laquer Head

Eat it nerds:
lusMTgY.png

Set up a cellular backup on mah edgerouter on a Meraki MX64. 500 MB goes quick unless you shape it to 512k LAN/256k per client down :p

Right...we're the nerds!!:eek:

Geoff

VIP Member
Comcast upped my internet plan to 200Mbps for free a couple weeks back. I couldn't figure out why my speed was stuck at my old download speed though... Turns out I had the Killer network management app installed for my Killer NIC that was set to 178Mbps from before my speed bump, so it was throttling my speed. I raised it and now all is good!

Last edited:

Stattovic

Not sure how to show these like above, my reading in Southampton, UK are

48.57 upload - 9.47 download - I am with bt broadband.

Ping is 12 ms, not sure what that means.

Geoff

VIP Member
Not sure how to show these like above, my reading in Southampton, UK are

48.57 upload - 9.47 download - I am with bt broadband.

Ping is 12 ms, not sure what that means.
When you run the sped test, there is an option to share your results. Copy and paste the IMG code into here.

Ping is also known as latency, and signifies the time it takes for you to send a request to the server and get a reply. The lower, the better. 12ms is excellent for home internet.

Origin Saint

Finally!

After scheduling to get 18 down on fiber vs my 6 down on copper DSL months ago for this last Monday morning, them not showing or calling, then not showing or calling the next day, after about 20 minutes today, I now have internet I can accept.

Geoff

VIP Member
Finally!

After scheduling to get 18 down on fiber vs my 6 down on copper DSL months ago for this last Monday morning, them not showing or calling, then not showing or calling the next day, after about 20 minutes today, I now have internet I can accept.
No offense but that is pretty terrible for fiber.

Origin Saint

Point is it's better than copper DSL that's been here for years. And my ONLY other options for ISPs are Hughes Net and some local satellite internet or hotspots, so this is as good as it gets, minus 24Mbps on copper DSL that would likely have the same attenuation and internet drop issues I already had.

Darren

Staff member
I think you underestimate how shitty our internet infrastructure is out in the Midwest, particularly in all but the largest cities. The highest speeds even capable of reaching my house from AT&T is 18mbps. Cox speeds do go up to maybe 100mbps or so at my address, but still. I live in one of the nicer suburban areas of a city with over half a million in the area and it's still shit tier internet compared to much of the USA. Meanwhile KC up the road (3 hours) is literally 10-20 times the speeds for similar prices.

Agent Smith

Supposed to have 100 Mbps. Router doesn't seem to want to dish it out. I'll have to plug in directly to my modem and see what happens.

Geoff

VIP Member
Supposed to have 100 Mbps. Router doesn't seem to want to dish it out. I'll have to plug in directly to my modem and see what happens.
What router do you have? If it can't handle 100Mbps, I'd say you need a newer one. If you have QoS enabled though that is intensive on many consumer routers.

Agent Smith

I use a very old router that has served me well, a WRT54GL flashed with DD-WRT. I don't use Qos though. It should handle 100 Mbps fine. I'll have to look at things.

Geoff

VIP Member
Yeah, I do, but ATM I don't have the doe to buy the router I'd like to get. And I just want 802.11n as I don't have anything that supports AC. This is what I had in mind and I looked at flashing it to DD-WRT.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833320091

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=171783&highlight=

My current router has been a work horse though! LOL
Why not go with a dedicated router and wireless access point? You can get a Ubiquiti UniFi AC access point for $80 and a Ubiquiti Edge Router X for $50.

https://www.amazon.com/Ubiquiti-Uni...=UTF8&qid=1482597800&sr=8-1&keywords=unifi+ac
https://www.amazon.com/Ubiquiti-Edg...482597837&sr=8-1&keywords=ubiquiti+edgerouter