So..who runs caseless? post your setup!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tlarkin

VIP Member
I am sorry but caseless 1) looks ghetto as all get out, and 2) is not ideal for cooling. The second point may be moot if you liquid cool but then you have a mass of liquid cooled equipment hanging all over the place.

G25r8cer

^^^ Actually caseless is better for cooling

Why wouldnt it be? All the components are out in the open and not squashed together in a case. It isnt pleasing to look at though

Geoff

VIP Member
I am sorry but caseless 1) looks ghetto as all get out, and 2) is not ideal for cooling. The second point may be moot if you liquid cool but then you have a mass of liquid cooled equipment hanging all over the place.
I agree. The only way I see caseless being practical is if you either run LN2/phase cooling or bench various components frequently and need to change parts often. Other then that, caseless setups don't look good and unless you have a fan blowing on the parts, is poor for proper cooling of passive components.

tlarkin

VIP Member
^^^ Actually caseless is better for cooling

Why wouldnt it be? All the components are out in the open and not squashed together in a case. It isnt pleasing to look at though

Because heat resonates, it needs to be forced out. Caseless gives you no airflow.

Geoff

VIP Member
Because heat resonates, it needs to be forced out. Caseless gives you no airflow.
Exactly, it's all stagnant air. You need circulation for proper cooling. If you ever put smoke in front of the front intake fan, you will see how quickly air is moving around inside the case.

meticadpa

[-0MEGA-];1407843 said:
I agree. The only way I see caseless being practical is if you either run LN2/phase cooling or bench various components frequently and need to change parts often. Other then that, caseless setups don't look good and unless you have a fan blowing on the parts, is poor for proper cooling of passive components.

That's called an opinion, broski. ;)

Do Tech Stations look bad to you?

NCspecV81

banned
caseless, has and will always be better than cases for cooling. Airflow is 1. over rated and 2. easily fixed with a fan.

El Gappo

I don't think anybody runs caseless without any fans. You're argument is ridiculous.

Would you guys stop ninja posting on top of me it's pissing me off.

meticadpa

caseless, has and will always be better than cases for cooling. Airflow is 1. over rated and 2. easily fixed with a fan.

When I moved from my Antec 900 to my Antec 900 motherboard tray my temperatures did indeed drop a couple of celsius.

With the same heatsink, clocks, etc.

Geoff

VIP Member
That's called an opinion, broski. ;)

Do Tech Stations look bad to you?
Yes, they do.

Nope, airflow is not overrated. You NEED at least some airflow in order to keep the passively-cooled devices, well, cool. Yes it can be fixed with a fan, but now how does a house fan blowing on a caseless setup look better then a brushed black aluminum case?

I don't think anybody runs caseless without any fans. You're argument is ridiculous.

Would you guys stop ninja posting on top of me it's pissing me off.
Many of the photos posted here were without fans, and when I say you need fans I'm not referring to CPU fans.

When I moved from my Antec 900 to my Antec 900 motherboard tray my temperatures did indeed drop a couple of celsius.

With the same heatsink, clocks, etc.
What temp dropped? CPU temps sure will as there is less air resistance in a caseless setup, however again, any passive-cooled device will get hotter.

El Gappo

[-0MEGA-];1407871 said:
Many of the photos posted here were without fans, and when I say you need fans I'm not referring to CPU fans.

Most of those system's aren't powered on, they are just naked for a pretty pic.

Go update your super pi thread wench.

meticadpa

[-0MEGA-];1407871 said:
Yes, they do.

Nope, airflow is not overrated. You NEED at least some airflow in order to keep the passively-cooled devices, well, cool. Yes it can be fixed with a fan, but now how does a house fan blowing on a caseless setup look better then a brushed black aluminum case?

What temp dropped? CPU temps sure will as there is less air resistance in a caseless setup, however again, any passive-cooled device will get hotter.

Yeah, my CPU and GPU dropped, but I didn't notice any noticeable increase in temperatures in any of my passively cooled parts like my northbridge.

My CPU heatsink's fan already produced enough airflow in its general direction to sort that, even at high voltages.

Edit: Also, my pic is with a fan, you just can't see it.

Geoff

VIP Member
Most of those system's aren't powered on, they are just naked for a pretty pic.

Go update your super pi thread wench.
Looking at the first few pages showed these, looks like the majority ARE powered on when the photos were taken.

http://www.computerforum.com/1405547-post14.html
http://www.computerforum.com/1405794-post31.html
http://www.computerforum.com/1406546-post47.html

And I'll update the thread when I am good and ready.

Yeah, my CPU and GPU dropped, but I didn't notice any noticeable increase in temperatures in any of my passively cooled parts like my northbridge.

My CPU heatsink's fan already produced enough airflow in its general direction to sort that, even at high voltages.

Edit: Also, my pic is with a fan, you just can't see it.
That would explain why you have those temps then, again it all depends on if you have circulation in your room and if other fans are placed where they will circulate the air around. However I bet if you look at your hard drives (if they aren't near a fan), those temps would have increased. Not right away, but if you leave your system on for a while the stagnant air will slowly increase in temperature.

tlarkin

VIP Member
It is basic science and physics. Heat expands (thermodynamics) and resonates around but will transfer over to cooler areas over time. See the second law of thermodynamics if you want to get the nitty gritty of it. Heat cannot flow by itself, it resonates. In a case you have intake and exhaust and are forcing the heat out on all your components. Unless you have high speed fans forcing air on every component on your "caseless" set up, you are not getting rid of all the heat.

Of course, if you are using a liquid cooling system you are probably using way less forced air and possibly no fans, so I did make an exception for that.

Also the first law of thermodynamics states that in any isolated system heat is a constant, so we know it is going to be there.

Now take into consideration that every hardware engineer designs computer hardware to be put in a case, therefore, they are designed with the idea of efficient cooling by it being in a case.

Not to mention all the dumb risks you take running casesless systems, you are tossing out the protection of a case. Hope you don't have any pets and run caseless.

meticadpa

[-0MEGA-];1407886 said:
Looking at the first few pages showed these, looks like the majority ARE powered on when the photos were taken.

http://www.computerforum.com/1405547-post14.html
http://www.computerforum.com/1405794-post31.html
http://www.computerforum.com/1406546-post47.html

And I'll update the thread when I am good and ready.

That would explain why you have those temps then, again it all depends on if you have circulation in your room and if other fans are placed where they will circulate the air around. However I bet if you look at your hard drives (if they aren't near a fan), those temps would have increased. Not right away, but if you leave your system on for a while the stagnant air will slowly increase in temperature.
I have my hard drives in a Lian Li hard drive bay, with an 80mm fan on the front.

Although I'm not using it, and my hard drives are still retaining good temperatures, so I don't really care.

I can't remember what the figures are exactly, but hard drives (generally) last longer in a certain temperature range than in others, but I can't remember what it is, like I said.

El Gappo

Not to mention all the dumb risks you take running casesless systems, you are tossing out the protection of a case. Hope you don't have any pets and run caseless.

My cat used to always sit on my cm v8 nearly keked my pant's but she never broke anything. She got run over :(

And I know for a fact a cat pissed on spec's evga classified :D

NCspecV81

banned
Hope you don't have any pets and run caseless.

I've had a cat piss on one of my evga classifieds before.

3973954100_53c05b5d27_o.jpg

This is what I'm running right now though..Waiting for gulftown before I invest in another intel cpu. I've grown tired of playing with 8 threaded i7's.

gd70fullnbmod.png

Geoff

VIP Member
It is basic science and physics. Heat expands (thermodynamics) and resonates around but will transfer over to cooler areas over time. See the second law of thermodynamics if you want to get the nitty gritty of it. Heat cannot flow by itself, it resonates. In a case you have intake and exhaust and are forcing the heat out on all your components. Unless you have high speed fans forcing air on every component on your "caseless" set up, you are not getting rid of all the heat.

Of course, if you are using a liquid cooling system you are probably using way less forced air and possibly no fans, so I did make an exception for that.

Also the first law of thermodynamics states that in any isolated system heat is a constant, so we know it is going to be there.

Now take into consideration that every hardware engineer designs computer hardware to be put in a case, therefore, they are designed with the idea of efficient cooling by it being in a case.

There is no convincing these guys, they are simply stuck in their ways. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.