So..who runs caseless? post your setup!

Status
Not open for further replies.

NCspecV81

banned
lulz at the fail in this thread. Okay trollers...begoneth. Everyone in the PC community knows that caseless produces lower temps than cased hardware given the same environment and hardware. You can go be in your own world and make your own thead. This is for caseless.

Geoff

VIP Member
lulz at the fail in this thread. Okay trollers...begoneth. Everyone in the PC community knows that caseless produces lower temps than cased hardware given the same environment and hardware. You can go be in your own world and make your own thead. This is for caseless.
This so belongs in the fail thread.

87dtna

As an outsider not involved in this thread (yet) looking in, I'm not really seeing how caseless is better for cooling. Inside a case, if you have the fans directed properly, you create a wind tunnel so to speak. I have the air coming in the front and going out the back/top....because heat rises! drrr LOL, but mobo temps are much better I bet than just letting the board sit out in the ambient with no airflow at all. Unless you course you rig up a box fan to blow on it, OR have a watercooled chipset....thats really the only way I see caseless being cooler.

NCspecV81

banned
ud5ln2955setup.png

87dtna

Yes of course if you aren't using air cooling, but some people are running air caseless, that makes no sense to me.

ganzey

banned
caseless is cooler than cased. Period. End of discussion. Back on topic, which is posting pictures of CASELESS ownership.

+1. the ambient temp inside the case is a lot hotter than air outside the case. so even if you have a "wind tunnel" going, the air from outside will get warm soon after entering the case and then blow past the heatsink, and warm air doesnt cool very well.

KarlDV

who cares? seriously....

as for the open case setup i was toying with buying Microcool Banchetto 101 Clear Modular Case

sidewindercomputers_2086_53331410.jpg

but i chickened out

I once tried something similar but within a week the fans were dying on me (cpu fan and video card fans) .. I guess u need a dust free environment for something like that..

Geoff

VIP Member
caseless is cooler than cased. Period. End of discussion. Back on topic, which is posting pictures of CASELESS ownership.

+1. the ambient temp inside the case is a lot hotter than air outside the case. so even if you have a "wind tunnel" going, the air from outside will get warm soon after entering the case and then blow past the heatsink, and warm air doesnt cool very well.
Not if the air outside the case is stagnant. Besides, you are probably monitoring the temps after the air has passed over a few hot components.

Aastii

VIP Member
For the sake of the OP's thread:

http://www.computerforum.com/168954-great-debate-caseless-cased.html

knock yourselves out.

Now can we get back to posting setups please. I had some pictures of my main system when I was building it a few weeks ago, had it out of the case for a fair bit to play with components and that. I was considering keeping it like that because my case looks crap :p but then it occurred to me: my system is downstairs, where people are always putting crap on the desk (where it would have to go), we have 3 cats running about and a small child, it wouldn't really work :p. I think they may have got deleted from the camera though, I didn't upload them so they may be lost :(

87dtna

WTF, I love how you are active on the forum for two weeks and think you own it now :rolleyes:

You stated no reasons WHY.

Can you state how exactly the air gets warm entering the case, that kinda goes against all laws of thermodynamics there.....air getting warmer without anything to warm it up.

tlarkin

VIP Member
WTF, I love how you are active on the forum for two weeks and think you own it now :rolleyes:

You stated no reasons WHY.

Can you state how exactly the air gets warm entering the case, that kinda goes against all laws of thermodynamics there.....air getting warmer without anything to warm it up.

Exactly, if you are using air cooling caseless is not cooler. Ambient temperature outside the case only affects it so much, as cold never transfer to heat. That is the first law of thermodynamics.

I already said that running liquid cooling or a heat piping system which directs heat off of the circuitry (e.g. does not remove heat by forced air) will always have different results because you are using different methods of cooling. However, the three laws of thermodynamics still apply, hence why they are still laws.

If you care to explain why, then go on and do so, but just saying it is cooler and that is a fact does not make it a fact.

gamblingman

VIP Member
The sidewalks and ramps along Beltway 8, WHY?!

I could really care which is cooler, its a computer, its gonna be hot. If its within an acceptable range then who cares what type of case is used! This is as bad as car forums when the topic of "is it better to have a hood or go without" starts, and then the trolling and arguing begins. Its all so stupid.

I came to this thread to see CASELESS COMPUTERS, not to scan through 14 pages of bickering hoping to see SOMETHING resembling the title of this thread. Do you even remember the title to this thread?

"So..who runs caseless? post your setup!"

I want to see what people have. I like the idea of having a really well thought out caseless design, mainly for a simple internet/music computer to put by the TV in the den. I want something that people will think is cool. I wouldnt do it with a normal case, they are so ugly. Just big, black, noisy boxes with vents and fans all over. That isnt what I want people to see when they come in my house. Something like this would be cool, but I'd prefer a little more color: http://www.xoxide.com/antec-skeleton-case.html

Just found this though. The OPPOSITE OF CASELESS. My god its weird.
http://www.g-news.ch/articles/nhp200nc/

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.