So..who runs caseless? post your setup!

Status
Not open for further replies.

NCspecV81

banned
Caseless has always been better by a few degrees Celsius versus its cased counterparts. I'm not sure what all the arguing is about. This is an undying fact.

El Gappo

BTX is far more efficient in a case ;) I would like to see you run a rig at these speeds in a case.

Resetting the cmos is a pain in a case

Swapping cpu's and insulation is impossible and I do that 3 times a day sometimes.

I wouldn't be able to have the cold air from my window drop onto my rig.

I would have to buy a very expensive lian li case to house a phase unit.

Attaching and placing fans is >9000% easier caseless.

Anyone who has a HAF case has a tiny penis.

Update your threads.

Geoff

VIP Member
Caseless has always been better by a few degrees Celsius versus its cased counterparts. I'm not sure what all the arguing is about. This is an undying fact.
You obviously didn't real tlarkin's post.

Resetting the cmos is a pain in a case
That's why most modern motherboards automatically reset after an unsuccessful POST, and/or have a clear CMOS button/switch on the rear I/O board.

Swapping cpu's and insulation is impossible and I do that 3 times a day sometimes.
As I said originally, if you are constantly swapping out components then I can justify a caseless setup.
I wouldn't be able to have the cold air from my window drop onto my rig.
You aren't creative enough then :D Several years ago I used some dryer ventilation tubing to draw cold air from the outside into the case via the intake fan. Also with this setup it didn't make my room freezing as the air was warm when it came out the exhaust fans of the case.

I would have to buy a very expensive lian li case to house a phase unit.
They sell cheap full tower cases, but again as I said originally, if you run phase then I can justify a caseless setup.
Attaching and placing fans is >9000% easier caseless.
How so? Sure you can place them where ever you want, but in a case their are pre-made holes for fan screws. You need to ghetto rig that on a caseless setup.
Update your threads.
If you were around here longer you would know that I typically update my threads every 2-3 weeks.

tlarkin

VIP Member
Anyone who has a HAF case has a tiny penis.

You know that really validates your argument....

Heat will never transfer from cold to warm, it always goes from warm to cold, meaning it will heat up all of your surrounding components. Reading your temps from your processor is so moot because processors already have heat sinks which pipe out heat anyway. However, the rest of your components, which should be getting forced air to remove the heat from them are not doing so, so it produces a false positive on reducing the temps of your system.

Sure your processor may drop a bit because there is no longer a case keeping the heat around it, however, there is also no forced air cooling all the capacitors on your system any more either.

This is basic science man, and the thermodynamic laws have not ever been refuted yet. So, really caseless is not efficient at all. You have to look at overall system cooling, not just CPU and GPU.

Then again, you have already resorted to 12 year old debating tactics....

NCspecV81

banned
okay...enough. This isn't a case vs caseless debate or penis size argument. Post your caseless if you want. You cased up guys...your opinions are noted. Now, it's time to quit trolling.

tlarkin

VIP Member
okay...enough. This isn't a case vs caseless debate or penis size argument. Post your caseless if you want. You cased up guys...your opinions are noted. Now, it's time to quit trolling.

It is not trolling when you correct someone else's false information. I am simply pointing it out, and I could easily be more demeaning about it if I were so inclined.

It is not opinion either, as I am talking about the laws of thermodynamics. If you can prove those laws wrong, which no one has ever been able to refute since it was coined back in the mid 1800s.

Laquer Head

[-0MEGA-];1407937 said:
Yes, page 109 of the 3DMark06 thread, not the SuperPi thread. Both have been updated within the past week or so.

3D Mark thread was updated today!!!

I submitted my score, followed the rules, and got added! That sounds like an update to me!!!

NCspecV81

banned
It is not trolling when you correct someone else's false information. I am simply pointing it out, and I could easily be more demeaning about it if I were so inclined.

It is not opinion either, as I am talking about the laws of thermodynamics. If you can prove those laws wrong, which no one has ever been able to refute since it was coined back in the mid 1800s.

Just b/c you quote a law to fit a certain criteria to meet your specific argument doesn't mean there aren't other characteristics of physics/laws happening when going from a cased setup to a caseless setup. Its common pc knowledge that caseless setups are cooler in retrospect to a cased setup. Maybe it's the fact you aren't enclosing heat. Regardless of the air flow available in a case a pc would radiate far more heat than a typical fan can dissipate. Also, heat absorption in the panels, and lets not forget that you have much better air flow in a caseless design than you would a case. Nothing beats having free flowing air than having it be turbulent inside a case. Ambient temperatures play a very large roll in your achievable temperatures. Cases are only good for hardware consolidation, protection, and appeal.

Last edited:

tlarkin

VIP Member
Just b/c you quote a law to fit a certain criteria to meet your specific argument doesn't mean there aren't other characteristics of physics/laws happening when going from a cased setup to a caseless setup. Its common pc knowledge that caseless setups are cooler in retrospect to a cased setup. Maybe it's the fact you aren't enclosing heat. Regardless of the air flow available in a case a pc would radiate far more heat than a typical fan can dissipate. Also, heat absorption in the panels, and lets not forget that you have much better air flow in a caseless design than you would a case. Nothing beats having free flowing air than having it be turbulent inside a case. Ambient temperatures play a very large roll in your achievable temperatures. Cases are only good for hardware consolidation, protection, and appeal.

Well, I think I am done, you aren't grasping what I am trying to say. I agreed with you and wrote that yes, it does drop temperature of certain components because there is no heat resonating in the case, however, unless you are properly forcing cool air over other components that would get normally get good air flow from the design of a case. When a hardware engineer decides to use a certain capacitor on his printed circuit board they do so in the concept of it being in a case, with proper air flow.

Does it make a difference on the component itself? Well that is a whole other argument because not every component is designed or made equally, and results would vary.

Ambient temps definitely affect the overall temperature of your system, but that is also thermodynamics.

Geoff

VIP Member
3D Mark thread was updated today!!!

I submitted my score, followed the rules, and got added! That sounds like an update to me!!!
Thank you.

Looks like I need to resort to using all caps to get you to understand.

YOU ARE NOT ENCLOSING HEAT IN A CASE, HEAT IS BROUGHT IN THROUGH THE INTAKE AND REMOVED VIA THE EXHAUST FANS.

YOU DO NOT HAVE BETTER AIRFLOW IN A CASELESS DESIGN, CASES ARE DESIGNED TO HAVE ONE-WAY AIRFLOW, WHERE AIR IS BROUGHT IN FROM THE FRONT OF THE CASE, COOLS THE COMPONENTS, AND THEN IS EXHAUSTED OUT THE BACK.

G25r8cer

When I moved from my Antec 900 to my Antec 900 motherboard tray my temperatures did indeed drop a couple of celsius.

With the same heatsink, clocks, etc.

All my temps dropped on my old rig when I was temporarly running it caseless

Put the components into an Antec 300 and temps rise back up

G25r8cer

One of these days I'll tear my rig down just to show u guys

More open air = Lower temps

Case = higher temps but, Looks much better ;)

tlarkin

VIP Member
All my temps dropped on my old rig when I was temporarly running it caseless

Put the components into an Antec 300 and temps rise back up

This produces a false positive as I explained earlier. The heat can disperse more if it is open, true, however it is not going forced off with air flow. So in essence you are spreading heat to more components, but your CPU temp will drop a bit because it can spread more heat.

Cold never ever transfers to heat, heat always transfers to cold, which is the basic concept of the second law of thermodynamics.

G25r8cer

This produces a false positive as I explained earlier. The heat can disperse more if it is open, true, however it is not going forced off with air flow. So in essence you are spreading heat to more components, but your CPU temp will drop a bit because it can spread more heat.

Cold never ever transfers to heat, heat always transfers to cold, which is the basic concept of the second law of thermodynamics.

Gotcha

So to a certain extent temps would be better?

Status
Not open for further replies.