The Hate On Apple Thread

patrickv

Wtf ?

Why bother make a thread like this ? Do we have one called
The Hate On Microsoft Thread ?

(cause i'd be the first to start ranting)
grow up people :rolleyes:

anyway I won't hate but I'd rather appreciate. I've had 3 ipods over the years and not a single problem with them, not even with itunes.

However, not hating, I don't like the iphone. Geez I don't know why, It's just not the type of phone I fancy... :cool:

Last edited:

Quiltface

i loathe itunes, my mom uses it and when she got a new computer it was a pain to move all of her songs to her new computer. wanted to format her ipod and then wouldn't recognize any of the songs i copied over to her new computer. I eventually had to download a program someone wrote to specifically do the task i was trying to do... why apple made that such a pain i will never know.... or then again i might find out pretty soon :p

o also i came over the other day and she had another problem with itunes, it updated itself (or she updated it) and it wanted to format her ipod again because it didnt recognize that device as being with that computer... I've had these problems in the past with ipod/itunes.... maybe that is where my annoyance with apple comes from i just assume everything they make is like that.

my sony mp3 player will sync with anything, any computer or you don't have to sync it all if you just want to drag mp3s to it. and it has yet to tell me that it needs to erase all of my songs because i hooked it up to my laptop as opposed to my desktop.

so i will just say this... i hate itunes/ipod's not apple. (since i have yet to use a relevent MacOS)

and i agree with you patrickv... why does this thread exist? and better yet... why do i find myself posting on it still?

People love to hate I guess. I bet if i start a I love Computers thread it wouldn't be that popular, 2-3 pages tops i bet.

speedyink

VIP Member
The only thing I know of is in the developer tools, with x11 and quartz and I have never tried it, but I hear it doesn't really look that good when you change DPI settings.

http://efreedom.com/Question/3-13412/Change-DPI-OSX

I'll give that a shot on my netbook right now, I think it's got x11 and quartz installed Edit: Nope, maybe not. As for my macbook, would those tools be included on the bundled reinstallation dvd's? I'd check but they are at my parents house atm.

Gonna try tinkertools. This would also help greatly with the touchscreen on my netbook..theres a lot of ridiculously small buttons..

Edit: Huh..while it does add a lot of options, I don't see any DPI options...am I blind?

Last edited:

tlarkin

VIP Member
It should be a tool in the quartz debug application. I don't have my macbook pro handy at the moment but I can boot it up later and check it out.

speedyink

VIP Member
It should be a tool in the quartz debug application. I don't have my macbook pro handy at the moment but I can boot it up later and check it out.

Yeah I know, I was referring to tinkertools. I don't have Quartz yet, I'll have to go to my parents house and pick up the dvds. Though after some research I hear it may not be worth the effort. I'll get to trying it at least, I just don't particularly want to go to my parents house today (obligatory visit)

bkribbs

I think it depends what you want. I love my iPod touch, and while yes, it may be marked up a ton, it is the best device like it. For me, the Zune isn't close. It depends on what you want.

And personally, I think that if you have a problem with it, then you need to just stay away from it and don't complain, everyone can make their own decisions.

I would vote for this thread to be locked as all that will come out of this is an argument.

lucasbytegenius

I think it depends what you want. I love my iPod touch, and while yes, it may be marked up a ton, it is the best device like it. For me, the Zune isn't close. It depends on what you want.

And personally, I think that if you have a problem with it, then you need to just stay away from it and don't complain, everyone can make their own decisions.

I would vote for this thread to be locked as all that will come out of this is an argument.
I second that motion.

tlarkin

VIP Member

Most people, even people who claim to be computer knowledgeable don't understand the fundamentals of how a computer system even works. They won't know what binary, bit, byte, 32bit, 64bit, kernel, shell, stacks, cycles, etc are how comprehend how they actually work.

They will know only how to spout of specifications, which doesn't make up for what a computer is. I hate to use car analogies because I do not think they quite parallel computers, but a good one here using cars would be many cars have a V6 engine in them, but some 4 cylinder cars out perform the 6 cylinders and it is due to better engineering. Many cars also get 30 MPG and can get you from point A to point B, but not all of them are engineered with the same quality.

I agree threads like this should just be locked because the people who hate on Macs know the least about them, and are usually not willing to learn the differences.

CannerBan

My mom uses an macbook pro and I use backtrack and ubuntu.
I say linux owns because it's totally free.
Though the macbook is really great for eyecandy n lightning fast photoshop and indesign stuff,

CannerBan

Most people, even people who claim to be computer knowledgeable don't understand the fundamentals of how a computer system even works. They won't know what binary, bit, byte, 32bit, 64bit, kernel, shell, stacks, cycles, etc are how comprehend how they actually work.

So what are shell, stacks, cycles, etc?
I pretty much knew all the previous things but just couldn't figure out what the last four were.:)

TrainTrackHack

VIP Member
but some 4 cylinder cars out perform the 6 cylinders and it is due to better engineering.
I know, I'm being pedantic, but...

Usually this is simply a case of less weight and more turbos/"performance-enhancing-things"/aftermarker parts than actual superior engineering.

TFT

VIP Member
I agree threads like this should just be locked because the people who hate on Macs know the least about them, and are usually not willing to learn the differences.

Sorry, but that is squeezing out the right to express an opinion, irrespective of whether that person knows what he's talking about or not. This subject is your forte and it must annoy you when the majority of posts are verbal diarrhoea but ............
The time for locking a thread should only be if it veers completely off topic, members slagging each other or the posts become abusive.

tlarkin

VIP Member
So what are shell, stacks, cycles, etc?
I pretty much knew all the previous things but just couldn't figure out what the last four were.:)

The kernel and the shell have a direct relation, stacks are structured data, cycle is the basic operation of a CPU.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shell_(computing)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stack_(data_structure)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CPU_cycle

I know, I'm being pedantic, but...

Usually this is simply a case of less weight and more turbos/"performance-enhancing-things"/aftermarker parts than actual superior engineering.

This analogy also applies to the Mac, as the OS is way more light weight compared to Windows. I try to not to use car analogies though as I think they don't quite parallel into the world of computers. However, a lot of people can relate to cars so often times people use them.

Sorry, but that is squeezing out the right to express an opinion, irrespective of whether that person knows what he's talking about or not. This subject is your forte and it must annoy you when the majority of posts are verbal diarrhoea but ............
The time for locking a thread should only be if it veers completely off topic, members slagging each other or the posts become abusive.

First and foremost I am 100% against censorship, however threads like this don't lead to anywhere productive. They also tend to bring out plenty of misinformation. Locking it would prevent further wrong information from being posted, and stop any petty arguments, but for the most part this thread has been civil I suppose. After all this is a computer forum, and should it not at least provide computer advice that is at least some what accurate?

Opinions are fine, but when a thread specifically created with extreme bias and zero facts to talk about technology is well, just not really good for the site in my opinion.

Okedokey

They will know only how to spout of specifications, which doesn't make up for what a computer is.

thats what specifications are for, so you don't need to know what micro-element is involved... nothing difficult about computer science mate... its pretty basic actually, especially on consumer products. Try avionics, that's a head ****.

at least we agree about one thing....

most useless thread ever - cost is what someone will pay, that is all.

bkribbs

The kernel and the shell have a direct relation, stacks are structured data, cycle is the basic operation of a CPU.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shell_(computing)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stack_(data_structure)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CPU_cycle

This analogy also applies to the Mac, as the OS is way more light weight compared to Windows. I try to not to use car analogies though as I think they don't quite parallel into the world of computers. However, a lot of people can relate to cars so often times people use them.

First and foremost I am 100% against censorship, however threads like this don't lead to anywhere productive. They also tend to bring out plenty of misinformation. Locking it would prevent further wrong information from being posted, and stop any petty arguments, but for the most part this thread has been civil I suppose. After all this is a computer forum, and should it not at least provide computer advice that is at least some what accurate?

Opinions are fine, but when a thread specifically created with extreme bias and zero facts to talk about technology is well, just not really good for the site in my opinion.

I agree.

Okedokey

mod pls, close, the internet is being clogged with mac vs gates rubbish. just waiting for the open source f%gs to poke there heads up