Thinking about an AMD Ryzen build

Okedokey

4 cores 8 threads is loads still. Ryzen still needs to be optimised I believe, so I would wait a bit first.

Deadpool

Agreed on the above sentiment towards in Intel.

I just get tilted whenever people tell me 4 cores is enough these days as it's quite clearly not the case now and even less so in the future.

Let me stop you there. 4 cores are enough these days. Newer games can use more than 4 cores, but that doesn't mean that you need to get an 8 core CPU, if you 4 cores have enough quality and power to get the job done. Which its obviously not the case for AMD. At least right now. Are you trying to tell me that because Fallout 4 and newer titles can use more than 4 threads we all have to get 6900Ks? I'm inclined to think you are not.

It is obvious that I don't understand a few things. Basically, following Deadpool's suggestions I should get 4 cores, 8 threads. Either an i5-6500 (or possibly 6600K) or an i7-7700K and be done with it. OR: wait for AMD's 4C/8T lineup and take it from there.
Both of these options (maybe not the overclockable CPUs) are within my budget. I have a few questions though:

1) What is more important? 4 cores at higher clock speeds or 8 cores at lower/medium clock speeds? How much work threads do?
2) VRAM - 4GB, 6GB, or 8GB? Why? What is the best bang for buck?

EDIT: The rig is mainly for gaming.

beers

Staff member
Keep in mind the i5 line doesn't contain HT, so they're 4c/4t CPUs.

1) depends on the workload and if you're comparing the same line of processors. If the game only has four or less main threads then the higher clocked quad will be faster. If it uses more threads you may or may not get more performance with more cores. It really depends how the game was developed.

2) you're better off comparing models of card before considering vram

Deadpool

It is obvious that I don't understand a few things. Basically, following Deadpool's suggestions I should get 4 cores, 8 threads. Either an i5-6500 (or possibly 6600K) or an i7-7700K and be done with it. OR: wait for AMD's 4C/8T lineup and take it from there.
Both of these options (maybe not the overclockable CPUs) are within my budget. I have a few questions though:

1) What is more important? 4 cores at higher clock speeds or 8 cores at lower/medium clock speeds? How much work threads do?
2) VRAM - 4GB, 6GB, or 8GB? Why? What is the best bang for buck?

EDIT: The rig is mainly for gaming.

8 threads are not necessary. You do need at least 4 physical cores (unless you can find a dual-core that´s powerful enough, which you won´t). HT affects gaming very little as of now. Keep in mind you have the new Intel architecture (it´s almost the same, with some minor improvements, +5%), so instead of a 6600K you could get a 7600k for around the same cash, and get something a little bit better.

The build in post #7 should be a good starting point.

About the cards, VRAM doesn´t affect how many FPS you´ll get. It is a limiting factor sometimes when there are very big and high res maps. For example, I think it´s the last Batman game, if you wanted to activate an option about the view distance and quality you needed at least 3Gb VRAM. Also if you have a high res monitor, you´ll need more VRAM, because you´ll be rendering many more pixels, and thus using more VRAM. There are a number of other specs that afect FPS, but VRAM is not one of them.

In your budget I would recommend the RX480, depending on your monitor, the 4Gb or 8Gb version.

Edit: You could get a 1070 if you are willing to spend a bit more.

Last edited:

Intel_man

VIP Member
It's more along the lines of the 960 EVO in terms of how much it still costs vs everything else in it's market.

How much does my 1080p monitor factor into all of this?
Current refresh rate is 60Mhz.

Not sure if I should get a new monitor just because of the refresh rate and the new video card.

Last edited:

Deadpool

How much does my 1080p monitor factor into all of this?
Current refresh rate is 60Mhz.

Not sure if I should get a new monitor just because of the refresh rate and the new video card.

With that monitor I´d get the 4Gb version of the 480.

I have a 1080p 60Hz (kinda hard for it to be 60MHz, I don´t think there are many cards out there that can render 60000000 frames a second :p).

No one can decide but you, just consider you´ll spend at least $200 on a 144Hz 1080p monitor. The same for a 1440p 60Hz one.

I am asking because I have no idea. The only reason I would get the 8GB version is because, as you said, future proofing. From the videos that I have watched, there is no substantial performance difference. The 4GB is just as good as the 8GB.

lucasbytegenius

With that monitor I´d get the 4Gb version of the 480.

I have a 1080p 60Hz (kinda hard for it to be 60MHz, I don´t think there are many cards out there that can render 60000000 frames a second :p).

No one can decide but you, just consider you´ll spend at least $200 on a 144Hz 1080p monitor. The same for a 1440p 60Hz one.
I'd still get the RX 480 8GB despite that monitor. It's only $20-30 more and it's 5% faster, not to mention the RAM does come in handy with some of the newer games. GTA V comes to mind. The 8GB RX 480 is what I'm currently running, I had a 4GB for a week and swapped it for the 8GB.

Deadpool

I am asking because I have no idea. The only reason I would get the 8GB version is because, as you said, future proofing. From the videos that I have watched, there is no substantial performance difference. The 4GB is just as good as the 8GB.

Yeah it´s not a big leap to the 8Gb version either.

I'd still get the RX 480 8GB despite that monitor. It's only $20-30 more and it's 5% faster, not to mention the RAM does come in handy with some of the newer games. GTA V comes to mind. The 8GB RX 480 is what I'm currently running, I had a 4GB for a week and swapped it for the 8GB.

Yeah I mentioned that. Batman Arkham Knight comes to mind too. Some games do need more VRAM but as of now no one more than 4Gb (on 1080p, that I know of). Still it´s a good idea to think of the future.

Why do you say it´s 5% faster? Both have the same specs except for the RAM.

It is a good idea to get the 8Gb version just in case. Will definitely pay off in the future.

Deadpool

5% faster because if you watch a few videos, the 8GB can produce a few FPS more. But that's it.

It does have a higher memory frequency. That should help with high resolutions and AA too. It all indicates the 480 is a card for higher resolutions. I think it´s worth the $35 difference.

Edit: the 1070 is getting a price reduction. For about $360 it´s a nice option too.

Thanks. I'll check out the specs.
EDIT: Wow. That is impressive, but I am already reaching my limit after choosing a tower/case.
EDIT#2: http://digiworthy.com/2016/12/24/amd-vega-release-date-specs-price-rumors/#price
I will not even consider the RX Vega. It will be way too expensive for me. This build will be go to option:
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/mqyLYr

Should I put in a CPU cooler just in case?

Can somebody please help me pick a case?
- The graph card should fit without any problems
- Enough airflow
- Enough room

Last edited: