Thinking about an AMD Ryzen build

I'll take my existing HDD (I'll check and post the specs) and use it alongside the SSD. But I also have an external drive (1TB).

What do you recommend for an HDD? Western Digital? Which color? Etc.

Deadpool

I'll take my existing HDD (I'll check and post the specs) and use it alongside the SSD. But I also have an external drive (1TB).

What do you recommend for an HDD? Western Digital? Which color? Etc.

WD Blue and Seagate Barracuda are the most common choices.

Intel_man

VIP Member
Because they're known to be more failure prone than other brands.

All-thru-Q4-2016-Failure-Rates.jpg

full report: https://www.backblaze.com/blog/hard-drive-benchmark-stats-2016/

I can support that. My first and only Barracuda died very shortly after purchase.

EDIT:
By the way: how hard is it to assemble this? I am not an avid builder and the only thing that I do is maybe swap out drives.

Deadpool

All I can say is that in 2016 the failures went down to below WD level (6% vs ~3-4%), and that I have had a Seagate for over 6 years now.

It is not hard to build. There is a guide in this forum that you can follow.

Darren

Staff member
Seagate has been known to have crappy 2TB+ drives. Their 1TB's are fine. My Barrucuda is going strong 5+ years and I put them in numerous builds several years ago with zero failures.

Intel_man

VIP Member
All I can say is that in 2016 the failures went down to below WD level (6% vs ~3-4%), and that I have had a Seagate for over 6 years now.
Statistics 101.

Always determine your statistics based on values with the most data, which comes from that graph I presented above. Don't just use 1 year's worth of data when there's more available data gathered.

Deadpool

Statistics 101.

Always determine your statistics based on values with the most data, which comes from that graph I presented above. Don't just use 1 year's worth of data when there's more available data gathered.

Don´t worry about that. I aced statistics and probablity in college.

You can´t talk statistics with a chart that compares values obtained from 45 samples and values from 38000 samples. That´s statistics 101. Neither can you judgue an entire brand for results obtained like this:

"BackBlaze’s methods haven’t been without controversy either. In the past, the company has been criticized for changing its storage pod designs, which can impact the reliability of a certain cluster of drives.

And rather than order 1,000 drives directly from a manufacturer, the company in the past has said it sourced hard drives by buying consumer external backup drives and “shucking” the hard drives to repurpose in its data center. The drives also run on a 24/7 duty cycle, which hard drive makers have said is outside the design of a consumer hard drive..." http://www.pcworld.com/article/3071...e-latest-backblaze-survey-claims-to-know.html

drive-stats-2016-q1-failure-by-mfg.jpg

Also the Seagate drives have the best performance/price ratio.

Intel_man

VIP Member
You can´t talk statistics with a chart that compares values obtained from 45 samples and values from 38000 samples. That´s statistics 101. Neither can you judgue an entire brand for results obtained like this
But I'm not deliberately comparing drives with 45 samples to 38000, nor am I comparing values from a "chart". I posted a table. Sample groups from HGST is more than sufficient in numbers to be directly compared to Seagate drives in a few different hdd size categories.

"BackBlaze’s methods haven’t been without controversy either. In the past, the company has been criticized for changing its storage pod designs, which can impact the reliability of a certain cluster of drives.

And rather than order 1,000 drives directly from a manufacturer, the company in the past has said it sourced hard drives by buying consumer external backup drives and “shucking” the hard drives to repurpose in its data center. The drives also run on a 24/7 duty cycle, which hard drive makers have said is outside the design of a consumer hard drive..."
There needs to be more information on how many of them are like that and if a specific brand is the only one being targeted.

Also the Seagate drives have the best performance/price ratio.
Never said it wasn't.

Deadpool

There needs to be more information on how many of them are like that and if a specific brand is the only one being targeted.

There isn´t. That´s why I don´t think that "table" is reliable. Certainly not enough to discard an entire brand. Enough to raise suspicions? Yeah maybe. But not enough to be conclusive.

I´m not saying the table is useless. It´s very useful to get an idea of what you can expect. Sadly there are not many more studies about the topic. This table should be a good starting point to ask around and observe what kind of results others had with the critical drives models or specific sizes.

I had a WD Blue 320Gb for seven years and a Seagate Barracuda 500Gb for six, and I´m still using both.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
I'm not saying no. I'm just saying that you should not arrive to that conclusion just by looking at that table.
You don't have to look at the table, there have been many reports online about it. We were even talking about it when they first started coming out with the issues.

What does this compatibility issue mean and how to rectify it?
  • The motherboard M.2 slot #0 shares bandwidth with a SATA 6.0 Gb/s port. When the M.2 slot is populated, one SATA 6Gb/s port is disabled.
Granted, I am looking at my friends specs https://pcpartpicker.com/list/H9jPcc

EDIT: Oh, I see. I messed up the list ...
He bought this a while ago to replace his old AMD machine.

Last edited: