Thinking about an AMD Ryzen build

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
It means exactly what it says, when an M2 drive is installed in that slot one of the sata ports is disabled. Which means you can't use it.

Deadpool

It's not really an issue, unless you want to use 8 HDDs. Most motherboards have more than 4 SATA III ports so don't worry about that. You can check just by looking at the motherboard.

MisterEd

For AM4 motherboards pay close attention to the qualified RAM. I have found that Ryzen builds are very picky about RAM. On many motherboards a lot of the tested RAM works at lower speeds than the rated ones. For example for the PRIME B350-PLUS look at the file PRIME_B350-PLUS_Memory_QVL.pdf.

I pre-ordered a Ryzen CPU, motherboard, and RAM before there were any guidelines on what RAM worked best. Unfortunately the 2666MHz RAM I got only works at 2133MHz. A future BIOS update may solve the RAM problem but for now I have to live with the lower speed.

Thanks for the info. For now, I can only toy around and think about what I will build. I will wait a few months for BIOS updates, but also because I need to get the money for the build.

mistersprinkles

I hate the money part of any new build. Why can't PC components grow on trees? We could have CPU trees, GPU trees, motherboard trees, case trees, powersupply trees, RAM trees, and so on.

You could buy a bag of RAM tree seeds for like a dollar and farm your own RAM trees. The RAM you needed you would keep and you could sell your excess RAM at a computer farmer's market for a dollar or two per pound.

Last edited:
I have been looking at different builds at different budgets, and I can't help but feel that a budget restraint might lead me to put a worse part into my build in relation to the others. A really good build costs around $1500 with quality parts?

Deadpool

I have been looking at different builds at different budgets, and I can't help but feel that a budget restraint might lead me to put a worse part into my build in relation to the others. A really good build costs around $1500 with quality parts?

Where?

I watched this video out of curiousity and to learn something about building a PC as everything is thoroughly explained. He explains why he chose certain parts.

It left me somewhat confused though. Isn't the B350 motherboard enough? Is the X370 really that necessary for that build?

I should really stop thinking about computer parts before I go crazy. I am still not going to buy it until September or something.

EDIT: And by that time, new parts may come out, BIOS-es get optimized, new GPUs get released, etc. I might as well scrap the builds I've made so far.

Deadpool

Well if you are an overclock savvy, you may want to get a x370 board. They tend to have better VRMs and better VRM's heatsinks. The M.2 thing he mentioned is not true because there are many b350 with M.2 slots. Also there is the no SLI thingy.

Darren

Staff member
Well if you are an overclock savvy, you may want to get a x370 board. They tend to have better VRMs and better VRM's heatsinks. The M.2 thing he mentioned is not true because there are many b350 with M.2 slots. Also there is the no SLI thingy.
Nope.

Ryzen clocks just as well on B350 as it does X370 honestly, at least within a very small margin. I've seen 1700's at 4.2 GHz on B350's. There's a massive voltage wall around 4.0GHz that you won't be pushing past regardless of the board. Luck of the silicon lottery will affect it more. If you're trying to save money then spending extra for potential OC of maybe 1-200MHz is pointless.

I just wanted a high end board that looked good. :D

Darren

Staff member
That doesn't mean the VRMs and heatsinks aren't better.
I didn't say they weren't, but them being better has negligible to nonexistent impact on performance and we're trying to save money here. An extra $40 saved going with a B350 board can be dumped into the GPU and get you way more performance for that $40.

Deadpool

I didn't say they weren't, but them being better has negligible to nonexistent impact on performance and we're trying to save money here. An extra $40 saved going with a B350 board can be dumped into the GPU and get you way more performance for that $40.

You said Nope to my entire comment! Anyways, unless you really want SLI I wouldn't get an X370.

Intel_man

VIP Member
Looks like the main difference between the B350 and X370 is the number of USB 3.1 G1 and G2 ports, SLI/CF capability, and a couple more PCI-E lanes.

Darren

Staff member
You said Nope to my entire comment! Anyways, unless you really want SLI I wouldn't get an X370.
I totally did, my bad. I meant nope as in like nope you don't need to spend the extra for an X370 if you're in the interest of saving money.