Ubuntu 11.04

Motoxrdude

Any else upgrade yet? I can say it's a nice improvement. It feels like a blend between ubuntus 10.10s desktop edition and netbook edition. It uses a shell interface (unity) for gnome. At first I wasn't a fan of it but after getting more familiar with it I definitely like it. It's a very simple interface but you can set it up exactly how you want it. What I like about it too is that it cuts out a lot of the useless screen real estate and gives you a lot more room on the screen which is nice on a laptop.

I'm just wondering what everyone else thinks about it :good:

salvage-this

I thought about upgrading to it but I am about to reinstall anyway. Would you recommend that I just download 11.04 rather than going back to 10.04?

Motoxrdude

I thought about upgrading to it but I am about to reinstall anyway. Would you recommend that I just download 11.04 rather than going back to 10.04?

I would yeah. The nice thing about 11.04 is that you can always go back to the classic ubuntu desktop without unity if you don't like it.

lucasbytegenius

Well I haven't had a chance to install the beta yet. Tried upgrading via Update Manager but it got stuck on the boot screen after reboot :(
Going to have to plop it on a flash drive and boot.
I'm excited about the new desktop environment.

Motoxrdude

Well I haven't had a chance to install the beta yet. Tried upgrading via Update Manager but it got stuck on the boot screen after reboot :(
Going to have to plop it on a flash drive and boot.
I'm excited about the new desktop environment.

Yeah I don't like the idea of updating from an older version. It usually works out better when you do a fresh install. What I do is create a partition and mount it as /home so i can do as many upgrades and fresh installs and it doesn't touch my settings or files.

DMGrier

VIP Member
I installed it, but after the install when the computer rebooted my computer did not want to boot into it. So I went back to 10.04. I don't know how I feel about the unity shell, I am using Mint 10 now and I think I am going to stick with mint cause mint 11 we are getting the new gnome 3.0 shell :).

Last edited:

Dngrsone

VIP Member
I haven't installed it yet. I usually wait a while for the first bugs to be identified and patched; I have a spare set of partitions left over from 9.10, so I might install there and take a look-see.

mihir

VIP Member
I think I will install it and then configure it after my Exams.I was looking forward to this release.

I was planning to buy a DVD of it rather than downloading it and burning it.
Since the DVD is so cheap and also I would love one of their original DVDs and also it would be better than downloading since I have a limit of 20GB Internet Usage per Month.And I would love to have the OS's official DVD.

wolfeking

banned
I loved 9.04, but I can not get a driver for my wireless card under it. 10.04 has that driver, so I use it for now.
I may try a torrent of 9.04 later and play around with it offline.

linux992

I might try this when I set my drives in RAID. I know the OP described a little bit the differences but could someone describe them a little more?

lucasbytegenius

Am I the only one who still uses Linux Ubuntu version 9.04? :D

I started out on 9.10. I waited a month and a half for the release, because I didn't want to use 9.04 for some reason I can't remember now.
I like the last couple version of Ubuntu. 10.04 had some issues, however. They got fixed in 10.10, and 10.10 felt more "finished" than 10.04 did.

linux992

I decided to upgrade to 11.04. I have an LG tv as my monitor and when I turn on my computer it shows the black bios screen and the loading operating system screen but then it goes to a invalid format screen. If I unplug the cable from the computer and replug it in its fine. I don't want to have to do this all the time so hopefully it will be fixed.

linux992

Ah I shouldn't have updated until the official release. I can't get on to change the screen resolution. My frequency is out of range. But I don't even see the Ubuntu screen.