Ubuntu 11.04

wolfeking

banned
ok, 11.04 is not what I expected at all. Has a host of problems that I can see, and I've only been on it for 15 minutes.

1. took way too long to boot up first time. (92 minutes from reboot to login screen. took on average 5-15 minutes on 10.04)
2. No drivers installed for the GT540m. Its not even reading the card, but hey, I got the Intel HD running, and thats all I need in Ubuntu.
3. Lack of open-office. Got to go hunt that down now.
4. Its reading the Hyper-threading as 4 physical cores in the system monitor.
5. Ubuntu has yet to integrate DVD playback into the OS.
6. took 20 minutes to get the wireless connected and FF up and running. Don't know if thats a FF issue, or a Ubuntu issue.
7. Its kicking me from the wireless intermittently.
8. its eating through the battery like no tomorrow. 73% left and its only been unplugged for 10 minutes. Windows was giving me 3 hours of life on the same battery,
9. its not allowing upload to photobucket. That may be a flash error.

I may be back in a bit if I find anything else to report.

Last edited:

lucasbytegenius

ok, 11.04 is not what I expected at all. Has a host of problems that I can see, and I've only been on it for 15 minutes.

1. took way too long to boot up first time. (92 minutes from reboot to login screen. took on average 5-15 minutes on 10.04)
2. No drivers installed for the GT540m. Its not even reading the card, but hey, I got the Intel HD running, and thats all I need in Ubuntu.
3. Lack of open-office. Got to go hunt that down now.
4. Its reading the Hyper-threading as 4 physical cores in the system monitor.
5. Ubuntu has yet to integrate DVD playback into the OS.
6. took 20 minutes to get the wireless connected and FF up and running. Don't know if thats a FF issue, or a Ubuntu issue.
7. Its kicking me from the wireless intermittently.
8. its eating through the battery like no tomorrow. 73% left and its only been unplugged for 10 minutes. Windows was giving me 3 hours of life on the same battery,
9. its not allowing upload to photobucket. That may be a flash error.

I may be back in a bit if I find anything else to report.

Ok dude there's this new thing called LibreOffice which comes with it and it like totally pwns OpenOffice, which by the way is at a snail's pace development-wise right now.

As for the other issues, that sucks.

wolfeking

banned
so libre office is a full set like open-office was? I thought that it was something sort of like notepad in windows.

got the nvidia driver.
chromium solved the internet speed issues.

DVD playback isnt working. I usually use :
Code:
sudo apt-get install libdvdread4
followed by
Code:
sudo /usr/share/doc/libdvdread4/install-css.sh
and it didn't work in 11.04. yes I rebooted it.

the hyperthreading issue in picture
Screenshot-3.png

Last edited:

lucasbytegenius

so libre office is a full set like open-office was? I thought that it was something sort of like notepad in windows.

LibreOffice is a fork of OpenOffice, it was created when the developers left Oracle and started the Document Foundation. It's everything OpenOffice was, only it's more actively developed.
You're thinking of Gedit lol.

CrayonMuncher

I use Ubuntu 11.04 and I havent had any problems, firefox appears to be buggy when playing flash videos from places other than youtube.
You can just get VLC for DVD playback and as for the HT issue isn't that how it always shows as it makes each cpu apear to have two cores.

Are you using the 32bit version btw?

Ubuntu and linux in general has always got issues like this, I wouldn't describe them as problems it just takes a while to get it configured the way you want.

wolfeking

banned
I am using whatever version that the Wubi installer put on. I was going to put 10.04 on it but my disk didnt let me put it on beside 7, so I decided not to mess with trying to manually partition the space.
The last I used linux with a HT PC was 9.10, and it showed 1 core (it was a P4HT).

Its asking for a plugin to play the DVD. I just need to get that fixed.

CrayonMuncher

Well you have to choose the 64Bit version, I only ask because the amount of ram you have says 3.6GB

HT will always show as double the cores, in task manager on windows it would show as 4, the P4HT may have been an issue with the older os or your pc.

What are you trying to use to play dvds, the movie player or Banshee?

Banshee looks like it has DVD support this may help, in terminal try.

sudo wget http://www.medibuntu.org/sources.list.d/natty.list –output-document=/etc/apt/sources.list.d/medibuntu.list
sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install medibuntu-keyring
sudo apt-get update

sudo -s
apt-get install libdvdcss2
cd /usr/share/doc/libdvdread4/
./install-css.sh

Do you have any problems with lag when playing video btw?

Last edited:

wolfeking

banned
ive been trying to use movieplayer. Thats the default and it has never gave me an issue before.

as for the 3.6Gb thing, its nothing to me really. I do nothing that needs that much memory in ubuntu. The only real reason that I use it anymore is acidrip.

I disabled unity (dont ask how, i havent a clue) and am currently downloading VLC in the software center. Ill see if that works.

CrayonMuncher

Mate thanks for that app, I will probably need it in the future and I didnt know what was a good one.

This is real good for configuring ubuntu and it doenst seem to come with it, you may already have it but it is pretty essential, especially if you get the video lag I just mentioned.

CompizConfig Settings Manager

Should allow you to get the unity bar back if you want it.

wolfeking

banned
just an FYI on acidrip there. Its illegal in any country that upholds the DMCA.

ontop of that, VLC isnt playing my DVD either. its giving the audio, but just a green screen, no video.

lucasbytegenius

Just a note again to those who don't like Unity, all you have to do is log out, click your username, and then select "Ubuntu Classic" in the desktop environments menu at the bottom of the screen, and then log in.

wolfeking

banned
got full playback of RE under VLC, but still nothing for movie player. Maybe I just need to stop trying and give up on movieplayer.

wolfeking

banned
I agree on that, unity is simplier. just takes some getting used to, like switching from windows to Linux.
Im going to try a fresh install from a CD tomorrow ti see if maybe I can fix any kind of error that occurred with it to cause movie player to stop working.

Dngrsone

VIP Member
I liked it enough that I am using docky in 10.04 and shut off the desktop (I've always wanted to have separate wallpapers on my desktops anyway).

TrainTrackHack

VIP Member
I haven't used it myself but it looks a lot like Gnome 3, which I quite like (though I can't help the feeling that as far as desktops go, they've made more progress sideways than forwards).