Ubuntu 11.04

salvage-this

Well I finally got the driver working for the 6950 so I think I'll leave my system running how it is. Once the 11.04 boot CD gets figured out I might throw it on my laptop to see if I like it.

DMGrier

VIP Member
I never use CDs anymore. So 1990's :D:p

True but cd/dvd rw are cheaper and I still use them cause if I plan on sticking with a release like I will with 11.04 I buy the disc from Ubuntu cause the profit goes to future developement and not to mention it is still dirt cheap.

wolfeking

banned
how can we buy 1 CD from them? Cause the link to the conical store the smallest set is 5 CD's, and the price is in pounds.... not good.

Dngrsone

VIP Member
Same type of problem with the 32-bit version.

Apparently this problem cropped up with the release of 10.10; there's an open but unresolved bug (#636711) on it.

lucasbytegenius

True but cd/dvd rw are cheaper and I still use them cause if I plan on sticking with a release like I will with 11.04 I buy the disc from Ubuntu cause the profit goes to future developement and not to mention it is still dirt cheap.

In the long term, if you're an end user and not a CD distributer, the flash drive is cheaper. CDs have a limited number of writes to them, while a flash drive can be erased and reused many times with no problems. They're faster, they're smaller, and they don't get scratched up and unreadable ;)

DMGrier

VIP Member
how can we buy 1 CD from them? Cause the link to the conical store the smallest set is 5 CD's, and the price is in pounds.... not good.

Well if you scroll down a little more you will se a scroll down bar where you can select US Dollars and I just buy the 5 pack cause honestly is it under $8 which coming from paying the prices of a Windows disc I dont complain.

Dngrsone

VIP Member
I'm downloading again to Dngrswife's Win 7 laptop and I'll burn the CD off of that... see if maybe there's a problem on my laptop.

Dngrsone

VIP Member
Well, the CD I burned off the wife's laptop at least boots into Ubuntu... it's freaking out over my wireless card, I see, and the "Try it now" function kind of locks up... no menu, though I can access the Settings from the power button on the upper right.

I guess I will have to hit the wired LAN later and try installing on my spare partitions.

Right now, though, it is past my bedtime. :eek:

mrjack

VIP Member
Tried to upgrade to 11.04 from 10.10 on my netbook (Samsung NF210) today. It always grinds to a halt at the loading screen. Same thing when I try to do a fresh install. I'm going to have to install Ubuntu 10.10 Netbook Remix again, at least that version works on my netbook. 11.04 does work on my other desktop.

Last edited:

Dngrsone

VIP Member
You can reduce the size of the icons with Compiz Config Settings Manager (CCSM). The default is 48 pixels wide and I can dial it down to 32 (a third smaller).

It looks like Unity will work with the rotating cube, as well.

DMGrier

VIP Member
I was wondering those of you who have been having problems installing Ubuntu 11.04 have any of you tired to install it via USB?

Perkomate

I was wondering those of you who have been having problems installing Ubuntu 11.04 have any of you tired to install it via USB?

yeah, i'm having some serious trouble installing off of a USB. I've got the same processor as you, the 1.6ghz Atom, but only 1 gig of RAM. Damn school cheaped out on them big time. I'm told that the troubles arise from not having enough memory to complete the installation, which sucks.

Motoxrdude

I would try doing the alternative installation. It installs from a command line instead of a user interface. That being said I didn't have a problem with the normal installer on a 512mb computer.

DMGrier

VIP Member
yeah, i'm having some serious trouble installing off of a USB. I've got the same processor as you, the 1.6ghz Atom, but only 1 gig of RAM. Damn school cheaped out on them big time. I'm told that the troubles arise from not having enough memory to complete the installation, which sucks.

You should be able to install the OS on 256 MB of memory preferably 512 MB though. There is something going on with the install process with this release cause it seems like a lot of people are having problems.

Try it with a external disc drive and if you don't want to shell out the cash on the external disc drive then find a store with a return policy go out get the disc drive and install your OS and then return the disc drive.