Ubuntu 11.04

Perkomate

hmm. i'm doing the thing where apparently you can trial it from a USB, but it won't install on my shi77t laptop or my good computer. i guess that means ive gotta get another installer

daveedmiller

The bulk of the changes in Ubuntu 11.04 Stylish two thousand trout around the launch of unity and unity Dash. Such as when the last review, is activated Dash national unity by using the same key and the Super / Windows. The main difference is that, Dash is now open in full screen mode by default.

Dngrsone

VIP Member
One problem with Unity-- it's impossible to switch between window instances of Firefox (say, from the main window to the Downloads window or the Bookmarks window).

If you enable Scale Extras (Scale is required), you can left-click on the Firefox icon in the Unity bar and you will get a marquee showing the different windows. Then you can select which window you want to view. Not perfect, but at least you'll be able to get to those windows now.

Unity does work with rotating cube, by the way.

update linux ubuntu

i updated from 10.10 hoping for a better software repository but not much difference. I would like a good video capture program like cinelerra but it's still not included. We need to prevail upon the open source community to build for magic jack and netflix instant play, and possibly .exe files. That done i'd leave windows for good. I presently multi boot windows 7, windows XP aqnd Linux Ubuntu 11.4.

Dngrsone

VIP Member
i updated from 10.10 hoping for a better software repository but not much difference. I would like a good video capture program like cinelerra but it's still not included. We need to prevail upon the open source community to build for magic jack and netflix instant play, and possibly .exe files. That done i'd leave windows for good. I presently multi boot windows 7, windows XP aqnd Linux Ubuntu 11.4.

Netflix instant play is an issue at Netflix and Microsoft-- Netflix operates on Silverlight and MS won't let the DRM codecs to be used in Moonlight, the Linux port of Silverlight.

Dngrsone

VIP Member
I've been fighting this OS for better than a week now, and every day it gets slower and slower... I can't play Minecraft on it, and even when that program isn't loaded up and running, the machine runs slow as hell.

Random crashes, an occasional reset, even lag when trying to type this post.

I'm pretty sure it isn't hardware-- I was running 10.04 on this computer for almost a year with no problems (outside a hard drive crash, said HD of course replaced).

So I am going to go back down... probably back to 10.04-amd64 until they get some of these bugs worked out.

NyxCharon

well i mean theres wine. It's not great, but it works good enough. and theres always VMware as well, just set up a virtual MS OS. The only downside to this is with most computers, there not powerful enough to allow you to game heavily on that virtual OS.

But yea, not needing that would be great.

tlarkin

VIP Member
Netflix instant play is an issue at Netflix and Microsoft-- Netflix operates on Silverlight and MS won't let the DRM codecs to be used in Moonlight, the Linux port of Silverlight.

Hopefully Netflix will adapt HTML 5 standards. I already emailed their support asking for it.

tlarkin

VIP Member
There is a petition going around about the whole non linux support thing, i recommended signing it if you haven't already. :)

Now only if gamers would unite and refuse to buy any video games until the industry supports fully Open GL and Linux ports I could get rid of my Windows box.

wolfeking

banned
maybe we can organize that to happen tlarkin. I love Linux, but I cant stand having to stay off of some of my games (more of them dont work in wine than that do), and staying off of netflix.
maybe I can do a petition if theres a site out there to set this up, then we will have to send it to the major developers (EA, and such).

tlarkin

VIP Member
maybe we can organize that to happen tlarkin. I love Linux, but I cant stand having to stay off of some of my games (more of them dont work in wine than that do), and staying off of netflix.
maybe I can do a petition if theres a site out there to set this up, then we will have to send it to the major developers (EA, and such).

I doubt it will ever happen until people actually switch to Linux and hurt the game industry's profits by not buying games.

I also try to never buy a game EA publishes their DRM is crap. Same thing with Ubisoft. I am guilty of course, but I try not to.

wolfeking

banned
I generally buy EA without even without realizing it. I generally dont pay attention to the publisher when I get a game. I just pick it up and hope it works.

mihir

VIP Member
Actually I wouldn't mind getting in on that.And all the Indians are already doing it.:D

We Indians have caused the gaming industry the biggest loss,I literally don't know anyone who gets original games CDs.I mean seriously 0.
That is why they won't release any further versions of Cricket because India is where they should be getting the highest sale from but the piracy brings their number of sold copies in india to 4 digit thousands. :(

tlarkin

VIP Member
Actually I wouldn't mind getting in on that.And all the Indians are already doing it.:D

We Indians have caused the gaming industry the biggest loss,I literally don't know anyone who gets original games CDs.I mean seriously 0.
That is why they won't release any further versions of Cricket because India is where they should be getting the highest sale from but the piracy brings their number of sold copies in india to 4 digit thousands. :(

well if your country pirates all games regardless then no business model would want to cater to your demographic. I would buy video games that are DRM free and run on Linux.

Heck I haven't downloaded a pirated game in over 5 years.

mihir

VIP Member
well if your country pirates all games regardless then no business model would want to cater to your demographic. I would buy video games that are DRM free and run on Linux.

Heck I haven't downloaded a pirated game in over 5 years.

No there have been measures by several companies to cut down the piracy and it is really working.
Like take GTA IV for Instance
Cost of Original GTA IV - Rs499
Cost of Pirated GTA IV - Rs 400
That is just a difference of Rs100 ie $2 and because of that difference alot of people bought the original GTA and same thing with Portal 2 and lots of other games and also we have a company named Moser Baer which sells original movie DVDs for $2. Hindi only though.

But the people are still unwilling to buy the normal priced original games which come around to Rs1000+ which they can get for Rs200 - Rs400.
And I agree the only reason they bought the original GTA was because of the flashy box and the way the original DVD looks better,and sometimes the pirated games do not work but the original was a sure shot,
they did not purchase it because of they were feeling bad for stealing software. :D