Very Strange Problem

Kornowski

VIP Member
Ok, So here's the problem, a strange one at that!

The CoD4 1.6 Patch had come out but the Clan I'm in hadn't updated their servers (as they're Linux based), So I copied the 'Activision' folder to my Desktop and named it 'Activision Test'. This was so that I could play in the Clan on the 1.5 Servers and install the 1.6 Patch on the 'Activision Test' to try out the new maps.

The Servers updated and I (Stupid I know) went to update CoD4 (forgetting that I could have just copied the already 1.6 'Activision Test' Folder back over). It told me that I had already installed the 1.6 Patch. So, I went back to a restore point before I had made the 'Activision Test' folder and tried to install the 1.6 Patch. Same thing happened...

So, I un-installed all of CoD4 and deleted all the folders. Installed it all again, put all the patches on fine. Went to play, and it's un-playable, it runs at about 18FPS. I should be getting 100FPS + like I normally do!

I tested GRID out to see if it was just CoD4, but no, that runs at about 30FPS, When I should be getting like 70+ :confused: WTF

I went back to a restore point well before any of this, and I have the same problem... Nothing I do can get rid of this "lag"... I really don't know what's causing it.

Help is greatly appreciated, Any ideas?

Irishwhistle

Well, I don't know much of anything about COD and I don't know too much about graphics cards either, but the first thing I thought of is that maybe your graphics card isn't inatalled properly. When you went back to a restore point could it of gone back to a period of time before you had your current graphics card? Or on Windows does it change only the files you want changed when it goes back to a previous time? Sry, I'm not very familiar with Windows restore... just Leopard TimeMachine and the Linux thing like it.

Kornowski

VIP Member
I've had this card for a while, so the previous restore points all have this card...

I have also noticed a crackling with the sounds, in the games and also, when I'm listing to music with Media Player... Only ever so slightly though.

pies

I don't know if it would help but you could try reinstalling your card drivers and check the settings in the game.

Kornowski

VIP Member
Video drivers didn't do anything...

I tried going back to a restore point and got a BSOD...

My RAM just passed 9 pass' with Memtest too...

Ramodkk

VIP Member
Poor Danny, you really deserve a new mobo/cpu after all these errors and BSOD's!! :eek: I feel ya' ;)

I don't think restore points work the way they're supposed to. I guess some files still get messed up during the restoration. Try, reinstalling the whole game again, after you reinstalled your video drivers. Also, you mentioned there's a small crackling sound when gaming and listening to music? What a conicidence with the video part, maybe the drivers are messed up as well.

I'm almost sure that during the restore, some dll's got messed up maybe and are causing this. Try running CCleaner or some kind of regedit.

:)

Kornowski

VIP Member
I've tried re-installing the games and it didn't help anything :eek:

I know, I want a new MOBO and CPU...

I may, make a new partition and put Windows on that and see if a fresh install helps anything... Although, It's pretty much the same problem I was having not so long ago, remember?

I've tried CCleaner too, Nothing :cool:

ThatGuy16

VIP Member
Did you make sure the patch didn't mess with your COD4 graphic settings, make sure it didn't enable dual video cards by chance?

Kornowski

VIP Member
I tried changing the settings to 'Low' and it didn't help, still 20FPS.

I tried GRID too, and that does the same thing... Also, I had the 1.6 Patch installed prior to this and it worked just fine... :cool:

Could it be the MOBO at all?

jimkonow

i think its the MoBo man.... they take more of a beating than they let on. you said you heard slight crackling in the audio, and that might be a sign its starting to go bye-bye :(

you should at least *try* a new MoBo and processor... although its stupid to, because youre doing a summer upgrade anyway.

my diagnosis: the mobo is tired.

Kornowski

VIP Member
Thanks a lot for the reply, dude! I thought CF was dead :p

Yeah, I think it's the MOBO too, but I don't have any others to test in there... Which is awkward. I was looking at the summer upgrade because of this problem actually, but I don't want to get all new stuff, only to find the problem is still there.

Vipernitrox

i won't go and assume it's a hardware problem. Uninstall cod first.
Then go through your registry and delete any keys that are affiliated with cod.
or use some registry program (like jv16 powertools) to clean out your registry.

Most programs leave tons of registry keys which really can screw up your computer

Kornowski

VIP Member
I did un-install CoD, and I also ran CCleaner, but it didn't help... I will try doing a clean install, and if I still get problems, then I'll look into getting a new Motherboard.

Thanks for the help though :)