Very Strange Problem

TFT

VIP Member
I think in your own mind Danny, it has to be the MB or PSU. Last time you had problems if I remember right you had a spare PSU but not powerful enough for your GPU. Your MB should have onboard graphics to at least prove a bootup.
Is it possible to try this?

ducis

to me it seems very possible that your patch had a trojan and when you opened it you released it.

Kornowski

VIP Member
Dave, When you say in my own mind, do you mean that I'm thinking that it has to be them, or what?

Also, my Motherboard doesn't have onboard graphics. :cool: I only have an Antec Earthwatts 380watt lying around.

FTB, I can't even boot up off a second HDD, so it can't be a virus or anything.

Thanks for the suggestions!

I would go ahead and buy a new MOBO, but I don't want the problem to persist...

ducis

what kind of consistency are you getting with your fps? like is it constantly low or dippy?
and is it both multiplayer and single player games?

Kornowski

VIP Member
what kind of consistency are you getting with your fps? like is it constantly low or dippy?
and is it both multiplayer and single player games?

At the moment, I can't even boot my computer...

When I was able to and noticed this problem, I was getting a steady 20FPS in Two games, on and offline.

Vipernitrox

i would say run to the local computershop and get yourself a 20 dollar el cheapo graphics card and switch the psu then test, if it doesn't work it's probably your mobo.

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
i cant believe your systems still dead,i have no clue what else it could be.

i also suspect its the motherboard though.

cant you just buy the cheapest crappy LGA 775 motherboard and try it out?

ducis

At the moment, I can't even boot my computer...

When I was able to and noticed this problem, I was getting a steady 20FPS in Two games, on and offline.

really sorry to hear that man :(
I guess all that you can do know is try to swap components, its very possible that multiple components have failed so overlook nothing

TFT

VIP Member
Dave, When you say in my own mind, do you mean that I'm thinking that it has to be them, or what?

Also, my Motherboard doesn't have onboard graphics. :cool: I only have an Antec Earthwatts 380watt lying around.

FTB, I can't even boot up off a second HDD, so it can't be a virus or anything.

Thanks for the suggestions!

I would go ahead and buy a new MOBO, but I don't want the problem to persist...

I'm no expert but by deduction it seems that it has to be the Motherboard or bad voltage from the PSU. It looks like you will have to bite the bullet and purchase one or the other to move forward. Has any of your friends got anything that may help you out on this one.

It sucks I know :eek:

PabloTeK

Try removing the graphics card, I know when I rebuilt mine after my Gigabyte board was returned it beeped at regular intervals because there was no graphics card.

Kornowski

VIP Member
i would say run to the local computershop and get yourself a 20 dollar el cheapo graphics card and switch the psu then test, if it doesn't work it's probably your mobo.

Yeah, That's a possibilty I guess, I can try and see if it'll run on my Antec 380. I'll try that today, and if it doesn't work, then I'm pretty sure it's the motherboard, right?

i cant believe your systems still dead,i have no clue what else it could be.

i also suspect its the motherboard though.

cant you just buy the cheapest crappy LGA 775 motherboard and try it out?

I know, It's strange isn't it... :cool:
Again, there's another posibilty, I'll look into how much they are. Thanks.

really sorry to hear that man :(
I guess all that you can do know is try to swap components, its very possible that multiple components have failed so overlook nothing

Don't be sorry, It wasn't your fault... Was it? :p
Yeah, Well so far;

I've tried a different HDD, Nothing.
Ran 10+ Passes with Memtest and it's come up with no errors.
Tried re-installing Windows, Can't, BSOD's.
Taken out sticks of RAM, tried different combinations, Nothing.

I'll try that PSU today.

I'm no expert but by deduction it seems that it has to be the Motherboard or bad voltage from the PSU. It looks like you will have to bite the bullet and purchase one or the other to move forward. Has any of your friends got anything that may help you out on this one.

It sucks I know :eek:

Yeah, It does seem as if it's one of those two. Although, I'm more willing to say it's the motherboard, the PSU is good quality, so I doubt it'll die, but if it is that, it has a 5 year Warranty from Corsair.

Nope, None of my friends have anything that I can try. They're all on different sockets or have DDR1 RAM and an AGP Card... So I'm stuck there, lol.

Try removing the graphics card, I know when I rebuilt mine after my Gigabyte board was returned it beeped at regular intervals because there was no graphics card.

What do you mean?

Thanks a lot for all the input guys! :)

Vipernitrox

i guess your last option would be to start swapping components.

But one last thing before you go and do that. Try swapping some of the cables. I actually had a computer and i really didn't know anymore what the problem was. The guy i was doing it for also wanted me to tidy up his pc on the inside because he had a window and it looked like a total mess. After i started replacing his standard ide cables with rounded and meshed ones. The thing just worked again. And it has similar problems as yours.

- buy an el cheapo graphics card and switch the psu to rule out that one.
- to rule out the mobo you can still try the ihavethepassword disk. Or you can swap it for this from newegg.
- and as the very last option buy this from newegg to rule out the cpu.

how about that you helped me get my 600th post :p

Last edited:

lovely?

Yeah, That's a possibilty I guess, I can try and see if it'll run on my Antec 380. I'll try that today, and if it doesn't work, then I'm pretty sure it's the motherboard, right?

I know, It's strange isn't it... :cool:
Again, there's another posibilty, I'll look into how much they are. Thanks.

Don't be sorry, It wasn't your fault... Was it? :p
Yeah, Well so far;

I've tried a different HDD, Nothing.
Ran 10+ Passes with Memtest and it's come up with no errors.
Tried re-installing Windows, Can't, BSOD's.
Taken out sticks of RAM, tried different combinations, Nothing.

I'll try that PSU today.

Yeah, It does seem as if it's one of those two. Although, I'm more willing to say it's the motherboard, the PSU is good quality, so I doubt it'll die, but if it is that, it has a 5 year Warranty from Corsair.

Nope, None of my friends have anything that I can try. They're all on different sockets or have DDR1 RAM and an AGP Card... So I'm stuck there, lol.

What do you mean?

Thanks a lot for all the input guys! :)

i cant exactly remember danny, but are we all sure that the cpu is perfectly fine? its obviously not software related, not ram, probably not video card if it does it on windows install, im sure you've turned down the frequency and tried that already, but maybe the processor really is shot.

Kornowski

VIP Member
i guess your last option would be to start swapping components.

But one last thing before you go and do that. Try swapping some of the cables. I actually had a computer and i really didn't know anymore what the problem was. The guy i was doing it for also wanted me to tidy up his pc on the inside because he had a window and it looked like a total mess. After i started replacing his standard ide cables with rounded and meshed ones. The thing just worked again. And it has similar problems as yours.

- buy an el cheapo graphics card and switch the psu to rule out that one.
- to rule out the mobo you can still try the ihavethepassword disk. Or you can swap it for this from newegg.
- and as the very last option buy this from newegg to rule out the cpu.

how about that you helped me get my 600th post :p

Hmm, Yeah, I did use a different SATA cable & Port when I tried the other HDD, so it isn't either of them...
I'm going to try a different PSU, Maybe that'll do something... I'm hoping it doesn't though, I don't want to have to wait to send my PSU off to Corsair, I'd rather buy a new MOBO :p

Haha, 600th, Nice! ;)

I mean if you have no graphics card the system will POST by beeping about every second.

Ah right, But a graphics card wouldn't cause a BSOD, it'd just artifat if there was anything wrong with it.

i cant exactly remember danny, but are we all sure that the cpu is perfectly fine? its obviously not software related, not ram, probably not video card if it does it on windows install, im sure you've turned down the frequency and tried that already, but maybe the processor really is shot.

We aren't sure about the CPU. I'm running it at stock at the moment, and when I had it OC'ed, I wasn't running over the recomended vCore, I was actually under-volting it @1.31v.

I haven't tried running it below stock though...

just a noob

sounds like the motherboard, take it to best buy and see what the employees say? they probably say that a transister on the ram is causing your computer to malfunction or something like that :p

Kornowski

VIP Member
I don't live in the US, So it'd be pretty expensive for me to take it there :p

I think I'm going to buy a new Motherboard (EVGA 750i FTW) and new CPU (Q6600), But I want to try the power supply before that... Just incase.

I also want to know what works and what doesn't so that I can sell what does work. :)

Kornowski

VIP Member
Ok, Got around to testing a different PSU before, Some strange results;

Plugged the Antec Eathwatts 380 in... Only connected it to the 24Pin, 4Pin, PCI-e and an old HDD with Vista on it = Booted, Played GRID Demo with a perfectly acceptable FPS.

Plugged my Cosair HX520 into 24Pin, 4Pin, PCI-e, old HDD with Vista on & all the case fans, as they were already plugged into it = Booted, Played GRID Demo with, again, acceptable FPS.

This was kind of strange as last time I tried the Corsair and the old HDD, it didn't Boot, It BSOD'ed on the loading bars.

Tried the Corsair with my current HDD, and it wouldn't boot.
I haven't tried the Antec with my current HDD.

JUST before my computer stopped booting, I found that I was getting 20FPS in every game that I played. When I tried it for the first time with the Antec PSU, I put this down to the Corsair being bad, and not providing enough power. But when it booted with the Corsair, I was, to say the least... Confused.

I really don't know anymore, Any ideas at all? Thanks in advance!

Ramodkk

VIP Member
It could be the power supply. I mean you had your GPU and CPU overclocked, you have 10+ fans total and cathodes. :rolleyes: