Views on Windows 8

I have just set up Windows 8 RP over my old W7 set up on my main computer and am [strike]loving it[/strike] EDIT: HATING IT., just wondered what you guys thought of the RP version if you have tried it?

Last edited:

spirit

Staff member
There has been a lot of threads discussing varying opinions of Windows 8 here. The general view here is "Windows 7 is better" IIRC. ;)

cracker2

I have not tried 8 yet.Maybe once it's stable I will.I watched several vids showing 8.
I don't care for it.Seems like its designed for tablets,smart phones,& touch screens,not my taste.
If it uses less mem I may use it.If it uses more then 7 then ill keep 7

StrangleHold

Staff member
You would think after ME and Vista they would have already fired anybody associated with them. Well obviously one of them are still there.

AlienMenace

Well, I did it. Downloaded Windows 8 RP and installed it in a duel boot with my Windows XP Pro x64. A lot of things I like and some I don't like. But I am learning. I am buying Windows 7 Professional in October for my new machine I am in the process of building.
One of the problems with me of course is trying to get out of a "App" or program without using the Task Manager to end the program.

How long will this copy last, before it craps out, does anyone know?

Last edited:

NyxCharon

Windows 8? I think useless it's on something without a touch screen. Metro is a horrible way to navigate on a desktop or laptop with a mouse/trackpad.

Metro on a tablet or phone works well, because the touch screen gives metro a real purpose.

So, I'll be sticking with W7 for my gaming needs. Otherwise, Linux suits me fine.

strollin

... One of the problems with me of course is trying to get out of a "App" or program without using the Task Manager to end the program. ...
Metro apps work similarly to Android apps in that you don't exit them, you switch away from them and they remain in memory. If the memory is needed, the OS decides which apps to remove to free up memory.

A lot of people use "Task Killer" type apps on Android but IMO they aren't needed, the OS does a good job of managing the memory. Hopefully, Win 8 does too.

linkin

VIP Member
Metro apps work similarly to Android apps in that you don't exit them, you switch away from them and they remain in memory. If the memory is needed, the OS decides which apps to remove to free up memory.

A lot of people use "Task Killer" type apps on Android but IMO they aren't needed, the OS does a good job of managing the memory. Hopefully, Win 8 does too.

This is my problem with developers. Not just for OS, but for many things...

They all assume that you're too stupid to figure things out yourself.

This results in UI's/software/games that are both simplified and frustratingly annoying for power users.

I wish they would stop rewarding ignorance and reward learning...

Well, I did it. Downloaded Windows 8 RP and installed it in a duel boot with my Windows XP Pro x64. A lot of things I like and some I don't like. But I am learning. I am buying Windows 7 Professional in October for my new machine I am in the process of building.
One of the problems with me of course is trying to get out of a "App" or program without using the Task Manager to end the program.

you need to press alt f4 to close it, or press the start key on your keyboard to minimise it :). Or press start-c or swipe from the right hand side or hover at the top left or bottom left of the screen and click the appearing tooltip.

spynoodle

I am personally running Windows 8 Developer Preview 8102, since it is the last version to allow for a registry hack to re-enable the normal Windows 7 Start Menu. This way, I basically have Windows 7 with Windows 8 core enhancements. :) Of course, this version expires in January of 2013. I am trying to find a way around that, but I probably cannot post about that here.

It dies in January 2013, and costs only $39 to upgrade to the full version, as it will from 7. I find gaming on it easy to be honest. I am a computer geek, but I do love the...whats the word... like how easy and quick it is...

And before anyone says it cant work well with a mouse or trackpad, absorb this.

If you keep moving your mouse or trackpad in the direction you want to scroll in in the start menu, it scrolls automatically, like if you were to swipe on a touch screen.

App compatibility - 9/10
Speed - 10/10
Easyness to Adjust from other NT based system like 7 - 4/10
Easyness to update - 7/10
Easyness to learn how to use - 9/10
User Friendlyness - 10/10
Driver Compatibility from 7 -10/10

Pretty good I think. There is none of this application compatibility (not the ones build in but like 2D Design, Photoshop, Sims, etc) issues like you had from XP to Vista and 7.

It just suits me more for the easyness to open apps, read emails, socially network, et cetera.

AlienMenace

Well so far I have learned a lot about it so far, I found out how to close a app or program by grabbing the top and pulling it down to the bottom to close the program. And I love the speed of it. Heck of a lot difference than the Windows xp pro x64 that I am using. Still planning to get Windows 7 Pro soon and then get the upgrade for it for 40.00 dollars. I am in the process of putting a new pc together for the Windows 7. And I can access programs from Windows xp pro x64 partition without re-installing programs on the Windows 8 partition. They said you can upgrade from xp service pk 3. I don't think they had x64 xp, in mind for the upgrade.
I have the revision build 8400 of Windows 8 RP.

NyxCharon

This is my problem with developers. Not just for OS, but for many things...

They all assume that you're too stupid to figure things out yourself.

This results in UI's/software/games that are both simplified and frustratingly annoying for power users.

I wish they would stop rewarding ignorance and reward learning...

Sounds like you need to run linux :p

Windows 8 is a very good operating system and it is a having a very good layout. It has given many new features and there is some problem with it which is due to its developer edition. It is having problem with only performance, there is no problem with any application or any new feature.

I dont have problems with performance, and I wouldn't call my DV6 uptodate?

DJHarrison

Let's just say I'm looking forward to Windows 9 if it's anything better than 8... I will NOT be upgrading to 8 when it is finally released.

RPGROB

I'm honestly sick and tired of Microsoft's butchering of the Windows OS. I don't know many people who make use of all the useless features Microsoft always packs into it. All I need an operating system for is to make sure when I double click Photoshop, it opens up, and when I double click a PC game, it plays. I seriously am considering switching to Mac, as it's easier for being a graphic designer anyway. Juggling the font files between both operating systems pisses me off, but I digress.

wolfeking

banned
No one ever takes advantage of all the features in any OS. Windows is targeted at everyone on the face of the planet, so it is going to have an infinite mount of features that will not be necessary for most people. But it would be a bunch more better if they would go back to one version like in the 98 and ME days. I really don't see the point of having to pay $60+ to get bitlocker and language packs. They would still make billions if all features were sold for $100 a copy. I would support them a lot more if they would even go to a lower price, like $39 like OSX.

But to the OQ, I used it for a while a bit back before RC, and it was okay. Only had a few issues, and they were easily fixed. I personally won't use it, and all it will probably end up doing is driving a bunch of people over to Linux again, and locking 7 as the new XP. The one everyone uses with a new one out.