Views on Windows 8

S.T.A.R.S.

banned
Wow I am the only one here who still uses Windows XP and will continue to use it for a LOOOOOOONG time.At least until 2020. year.

Anyway there is one thing I forgot to try on Windows 8 so maybe some of you did try it and can give me the answer so I do not need to lose time on it.

In Windows 7...when copying a lot of data from CD/DVD disks it takes a LOT longer than it did on Windows XP.It's a bug in Windows 7.
So...is that fixed in Windows 8 or not?

Troncoso

VIP Member
I can't comment on optical disks, but I did notice that USB transfer rates were much faster in Windows 8.

AlienMenace

What other OS have you used..?:rolleyes:
I have Windows 8 on my system, and I like it very much. I was coming from Windows XP Pro x64. Which was a pretty good OS also, despite some driver problems early on. Due to fact that is was the first x64 bit OS. And the hardware and software companies wasn't geared up for it, till Vista showed up. Then they started to make the x64 bit drivers and some software for it. I have been around a OS's for a long time. From the DOS days to Windows 3.0. I also have had Windows 95, ME, 2000, XP Pro x86 and mentioned XP Pro x64 was the last one I ran, before getting Windows 8 Pro x64. I also beta tested for both Windows 7 Pro and the (Release Preview) of Windows 8 Pro.

I also tried out Linix in the past also, boy talk about a learning curve for me. I had learned (UNIX) in the past, far different.

So, coming from (Windows XP Pro x64) and after running the (RP) version of 8. I decided to go with 8 instead of 7. And for the (Start) button, I am running Start 8 from Stardock. I didn't find the (Classic Shell) program till after I had gotten the Start 8 program.

My nephew also runs Windows 8 Pro and I put in the Classic Shell program for him. I have asked him if he goes into the Metro UI and he told me no. I told him he should so he can have both worlds, he just uses the computer for the internet and nothing else anyway.

But if people have Windows 7 already, and it is a very good OS. They should stay with it. But for the other people that is coming from xp and other OS's, then they can get the Windows 8 or 7.

I have Windows 8 on my system, and I like it very much. I was coming from Windows XP Pro x64. Which was a pretty good OS also, despite some driver problems early on. Due to fact that is was the first x64 bit OS. And the hardware and software companies wasn't geared up for it, till Vista showed up. Then they started to make the x64 bit drivers and some software for it. I have been around a OS's for a long time. From the DOS days to Windows 3.0. I also have had Windows 95, ME, 2000, XP Pro x86 and mentioned XP Pro x64 was the last one I ran, before getting Windows 8 Pro x64. I also beta tested for both Windows 7 Pro and the (Release Preview) of Windows 8 Pro.

I also tried out Linix in the past also, boy talk about a learning curve for me. I had learned (UNIX) in the past, far different.

So, coming from (Windows XP Pro x64) and after running the (RP) version of 8. I decided to go with 8 instead of 7. And for the (Start) button, I am running Start 8 from Stardock. I didn't find the (Classic Shell) program till after I had gotten the Start 8 program.

My nephew also runs Windows 8 Pro and I put in the Classic Shell program for him. I have asked him if he goes into the Metro UI and he told me no. I told him he should so he can have both worlds, he just uses the computer for the internet and nothing else anyway.

But if people have Windows 7 already, and it is a very good OS. They should stay with it. But for the other people that is coming from xp and other OS's, then they can get the Windows 8 or 7.

Isn't everyone forgetting Windows 8 Server...or as it is properly known as "Windows Server 2012"?
images

images

If Microsoft think I am going to build a server and then use a tablet or touchscreen to use it, then they do not deserve the time of day to try it.

spirit

Staff member
Yeah I've used it on an HP Gen8... odd to say the least but hey, it still functions as a server OS.