Views on Windows 8

wolfeking

banned
upon looking, it seems that is only AMD. Nvidias 302.82 driver runs 8 on all units released since the 8000 series. But still, AMD needs to get their arse in gear.

spirit

Staff member
upon looking, it seems that is only AMD. Nvidias 302.82 driver runs 8 on all units released since the 8000 series. But still, AMD needs to get their arse in gear.

Yeah... maybe it's just for now, I'm sure they'll get drivers for the older cards out soon. Right now it seems like the Evergreen cards (HD 5xxx) are the oldest AMD cards which support Windows 8 - so that's only 3 generations of cards.

spirit

Staff member
yea. I hope they support older cards. If not, it will be vista all over again. :(

Exactly, the whole Windows 8 is going to be "Vista II" - people are going to try it and hate it. The problem is people don't like change, especially when the changes are bad - the whole Metro UI is enough to put any desktop user off.

wolfeking

banned
I think metro is not going to be that big of an issue. Its a big world. If m$ don't let you choose to remove it, then there will be some lass or lad out there that will break it to force it to allow the change.

spirit

Staff member
I think metro is not going to be that big of an issue. Its a big world. If m$ don't let you choose to remove it, then there will be some lass or lad out there that will break it to force it to allow the change.

Yeah I suppose so, and somebody will somehow found a way to re-enable the start button.

wolfeking

banned
That may be a little more difficult. But if you disable metro, then something need to take its place. :? this could become quite an issue.

spirit

Staff member
That may be a little more difficult. But if you disable metro, then something need to take its place. :? this could become quite an issue.

Ahh yeah... well couldn't there just be a way of bypassing it - ie going straight to the desktop once Windows has booted - a bit like Windows has for... oh I don't know... the last 20 years or so? ;)

Exactly, the whole Windows 8 is going to be "Vista II" - people are going to try it and hate it. The problem is people don't like change, especially when the changes are bad - the whole Metro UI is enough to put any desktop user off.

Now you two moaned at me before when I moaned about vista ;) :p

spirit

Staff member
Sometimes I do wonder if Microsoft ever read about people's opinions on Windows 8 on various online forums and on the internet? Because surely if they had then Windows 8 would actually be a much better OS? The general feeling towards Windows 8 on the internet seems to be "it's rubbish, I'm not going to buy it", well if that's the case then why don't Microsoft do something about it? They keep releasing various previews of it and they keep getting the same feedback!

wolfeking

banned
Now you two moaned at me before when I moaned about vista ;) :p
I am not calling Vista bad if you READ! I was calling driver support the worst since ME. It is a great OS, but when released the drivers did not work well at all. Windows 8 is shaping up to have the same dang issue.

Degren808

Hello,

I do not know about Windows 8 but Windows 7 is all right. On mobiles Windows Phone 7 OS is also good but I did not have any opportunity to see how it behaves as a mobile OS. I have a Nokia Lumia 710 and really like it. I am even developing an own app for it. The app is a VoIP app and found a good guide with code snippets that provided lots of help. (if you are interested here it is: http://www.voip-sip-sdk.com/p_511-windows-phone-platform-voip.html). Later I will probably upgrade to mobile with WP8 OS, maybe to a Lumia 920.

Hyper-Threaded

I am not considering windows 8 a operating system. It's pointless. Stick with 7,xp, or Linux. I have enough dealing with ios on my iPod.

ShrunkThatGUY

i really think that some of the new features are amazing, then others... complete crap.
I think i will deffs be sticking with win 7, win 8 seems like it was created for tablets, smartphones.

spirit

Staff member
OK so now I've tried Windows 8 (the final release), I think I can put my views forward:

It's better than XP and possibly Vista in my opinion, but I still prefer 7. I just can't really get used to the Metro UI and the lack of aero annoys me. The lack of aero makes the OS look a bit ugly in my opinion.

I tried out several programs which restore the start menu & button - they all have their problems. :/

Overall the OS is decent but it has a few things which annoy me. I wish you could turn off all the tablet stuff, for example, when you mouse hover over the right side of the screen a menu comes up with a 'home' button and a 'back' button etc (a bit like what you get on tablets), and when you put a disc in your DVD drive it says 'tap to select what to do'. I don't like that. I also wish you could turn off the Metro UI.

Troncoso

VIP Member
Windows 8 is bad, and Microsoft should feel bad. XP and 7 were on the right track. Then they got cheap and and combined their desktop OS with their tablet OS. You don't do that.
The only thing I can say I like about it is the search feature in Start Screen.

I bought a laptop and it had Windows 8 for less than a day before I just wiped it for a Windows 7/Debian dual boot. I tried to like it, I really did.

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
I knew the cheap upgrade option was up on the 31st,And thought should i buy it or not?

But i just did not see any need too,It doesn't really give you any huge benefits over windows 7,And (to me anyway)...its not so easy to navigate around...im sticking with Windows 7.