Views on Windows 8

DJHarrison

About to try the Release Candidate and actually install it instead of running it in a VM. Hopefully this doesn't turn out too horribly...

Update:
Installed. Working fine, but still not completely won over. Better than it being in a VM though. It may take awhile before I'm used to Windows 8 is the problem...

Last edited:

ayan

I'm reluctant about it. I think it's a experiment os, and it will pretty much suck. I am curious though how it will behave. Can you command the menu with the mouse? does it feel good? And how fluent does it run? Does it take up a lot of resources?

spynoodle

Too bad they're only dropping the name, why can't they just drop the whole 'Metro' UI or at least add an option to easily disable it?

Microsoft are going to learn the hard way with Windows 8.
^Exactly. It's not like they have to not include it at all, but they should at least allow people to choose. People already like Windows 7, so the general population would be happy enough with a non-metro Windows 8.

spirit

Staff member
^Exactly. It's not like they have to not include it at all, but they should at least allow people to choose. People already like Windows 7, so the general population would be happy enough with a non-metro Windows 8.

Well the general thoughts towards Windows 8 is "Windows 7 is better". People don't like the the Metro UI and the lack of a Start button, I for one do not like the lack of the Start button, I use that button so much! To get to files/folders, to open programs, to reboot the computer, to shut the computer down. Without I'm stuck and everything takes so much longer.

Windows 8 is a step backwards in my opinion. Windows 7 will continue to sell for a long while yet I think.

DMGrier

VIP Member
I guess the only thing I do not understand is why M$ would use a UI so close to there mobile OS in appereance that is having a hard time selling due to poor design.

I expect more people to switch to OSX, iOS, Linux and Android for there daily computer needs.

Plus the fact you have to sign out of Windows Live and your machine to get to the log on screen again before you can shut down!

StrangleHold

Staff member
They should give you the option of Metro or the standard desktop on install or atleast give the option in the Control Panel.

spirit

Staff member
Or still continue support for Windows 7 as if it was a current OS!

They will continue support for Windows 7 once 8 has been released. Support and updates and suchlike for 7 will continue for quite a long while after 8 has been released.

spirit

Staff member
Seems like mainstream support ends for all of them in 2015 and extended support in 2020. Goodness only knows what Microsoft will have come out with by 2020, hopefully something better than Windows 8.

DMGrier

VIP Member
I have a good feeling that in the future M$ will release a non metro version, I just don't see good adoption to metro.

dunning3075

Ok so since I got windows 8 My graphics are all messed up i have an hd 4350 and every game I play now has stuf not rendering. It wasnt this way before on win7. I did a full install because my win 7 wasnt legit. Anyone got any advice on what I can try? I went to control pannel and tried to update the drivers from there but it dosent seem to help.

wolfeking

banned
so far only DX11 cards are carrying windows 8 drivers. You can either try a windows 7 driver, or just stick with no games.

spirit

Staff member
so far only DX11 cards are carrying windows 8 drivers. You can either try a windows 7 driver, or just stick with no games.

If that's true then that's going to make a lot of people unhappy. There are still a lot of people who use DX9 and DX10 cards who may not be into gaming but still want the latest OS. I hope by the time Windows 8 gets released there will be drivers for the older cards.

Looks to me like Windows 8 is seriously going to be an abysmal flop.