What do you guys think will be the next big thing to hit the computer market?

Well, that's an improvement, I was imagining what it would be like if a company made a processor that was triangular shaped, just a random thought.

heyman421

banned
What is a Magneto Optical disk, I mean what princaple does it run on?

Kent.

Minidiscs are magneto optical.

And they're still (i believe) used for longterm storage for medical/government useage.

They're written using magnets, like a hard drive, but they're read with a laser.

So it's the accuracy of a magnetic disc, with the longevity of an optical.

Styrak

Well, that's an improvement, I was imagining what it would be like if a company made a processor that was triangular shaped, just a random thought.

Way too much wasted/unusable space compared to squares. Also, would be much more expensive to produce.

Itanda

I think that there would be a motherboard with onboard graphics equivilent to the 8800GTX now that would own if it was cheap :) tho i do like to see a GPU in my PC

Tuffie

Thanks for the description of magneto discs.

Itanda: That would be cool but I don't know if I would be into that because I hate onboard, just because you dont have the ability to change the video card without waisting the power on the card anyways.

Kent.

Deepblue

The next big thing will be the transparent screens

but how would you like to have this :
Intel Creates 80-Core Microprocessor That Hits 1TFLOP

Intel recently showed off an 80-core microprocessor that it designed as part of a research project. The chip can deliver about 1TFLOP of performance running on 62 watts of power, or about as much work as a 2,500-square foot supercomputer could do a decade ago, says Justin Rattner, CTO at Intel. The chip measures 275mm squared, which is by far larger than the typical 143mm squared Core 2 Duo microprocessor shipping today. Because of its large size, an 80-core microprocessor isn't easy to manufacture, meaning manufacturers must miniaturize it before they can use it in servers or PCs. Intel built the chip with 100 million transistors in its 65nm manufacturing process, and each core, or tile, has a processor and a router.

Article is from Computer Power User magazine

Last edited:

cargo

well, I'd say more multi core CPUs is top of the list. Gluing two chips together has long been a trick of intel. So, 4 core is readily available right now next they glue 2 of those to get 8 core cheaply or 3 for 12 core.......

But come on, guessing what will come next along those lines is easy. Lets make things interesting and add in the next major step. You know, something along the lines of CRT -> LCD switch.

johnny

The Quads will drop in price. AMD is working on a new processor and a AM3 motherboard, that will have a totally new chipset and a new type of memory is going to come out.

K3rupt

The Quads Will HAVE to drop in price, with the Never Ending war Between Intel and AMD, Its a fight for customer Satisfaction.

lovely?

at a guess i think it will be the storage that see's the change. The move towards solid state drives is moving along quickly. Some are available now but not in any big numbers. I can see it being solid state drives that are affordable and reducing load times considerably. Either that or the new format in HDD allowing larger space, theres already a lot of research in advanced stages for this

i might be wrong, but is this exactly what your talking about? i have no clue how this thing works lol. i thought they were going into the "3-d lasers scanning blocks of crystals with memory encoded throughout the whole thing" am i wrong? :D