What do you guys think will be the next big thing to hit the computer market?

Tuffie

Does anyone actualy think that Apple and Microsoft could ever in this world bind together as one?

Kent.

Vampiric Rouge

I think if Intel bought AMD we would see new things come out slower. only because they would not be trying to out do each other.

Nightrain

One thing I do hope to happen though is AMD and Intel Banding together. Although it's never going to happen unless Intel buys AMD out, which is very possible because AMD is dieing which actualy I don't mind at all, cause I am Intel all the way.

And if they did band together we wouldnt have to buy a motherboard speissiffic to our CPU's...

And advancements would happen much more quickly.

I personally dont think that AMD and Intel will band together, atleast for everyones sake i hope not. I also do not believe that advancements will happen more frequently. What many people don't realize (not saying you dont...i would never say that, simply saying that the average consumer may not realize) is that consumers NEED both companies, especially if you don't plan on paying a premium for a processor. Having two companies competing for your attention is one of the best things a consumer can have on his/her side.

Take for example, the Core2duo being released. What happened there? (this is putting aside the fact that the core2's are great processors for the price).

AMD went through and slashed the prices of a majority of their current cpu's.

Simply put, when companies compete, Consumer's win. You want two separate companies "battling" each other. Without that there will be serious issues.

1. Prices go up
I dont care how great a company is, and how consumer concious they are. If there isnt a competitor, prices are going to go way up. Governments will try to regulate this to prevent a complete monopoly, but even with that, prices will go up.

2. Advancements will not occur faster (atleast imo).
If a company does not have a main competitor it will not rush to get the next product out. They arent going to lose money if they dont get a product out right away, you still have to go through them for anything that you need. So they get your money one way or another. If anything, advancements would occur at an equal rate (although i believe they would decrease in rate). Even though you have two teams now working together, you dont have that drive to be better that you once had. You just have people thinking with their wallets, and that never works for the consumer.

Those are just two things right off the top of my head. I really would not like this at all.

To put an example out there, take microsoft for instance. (Great company, or it never woulda got where it is today). But, how long did it take for vista to be released? ...they dont have any main competition. Yay, apple....yay linux. But really there isnt another big competitor for the x86 architechture. Hence, you pay $200+ for an OS. I would rather have competition than one big awesome company.

Big awesome companies almost never hold the customer in as high reguard as a company with competition...a company that "needs" you.

hehe, idk just got my mind working and thinking a little bit. A good step away from boring college classes that arent up to my level, and video games hehe.

On the topic presented in this thread. I would totally love to see a 3d video game system, or holographic or something. So many times as a kid i got one of those games or systems that are supposed to be (like virtual boy, or on of those other no-name companies that made the games with the visor and glove or hand grip thingies for controllers) and was nothing but dissappointed.

Hopefully sometime in the future i can live my childhood fantasy of being completely and fully immersed in a 3d video game. Id have to be in a padded room though, without any furniture, especially if it was a fighter hehe.

Ohh and ya, for reasons mentioned above, I hope for everyones sake that microsoft and apple do not merge together. Microsofts biggest OS competitor that "charges" for the product right under their wing....not good. Cool looking/efficient OS i bet, but i dont like the idea of having absolutely no competition.

Dont get me wrong my linux friends...some of these newer distro's are beautiful and awesome. (other than not wanting to have to deal with Wine or some other program to use my windows programs...but thats another story...). But linux really doesnt compete with microsoft, atleast in the consumer retail world. I love linux, but well 1. i work at a retail pc store, and you just dont have people mobbing the store for that new linux distro...understandable, but not competition imo.

Tuffie

Nightrain, you are so right now I have thought about it, I think its more important for them to have compitetion.

Thanks alot for that imput, it has changed my perspective on a few things...

Kent.

lovely?

ROFL at 'Windows VOSXP' and Macro-Soft.

I aggree that as we advance we will be able to do things such as turn our PC's on with a command.

But for some serious reason I don't ever see Apple and Microsoft ever being buddies..

One thing I do hope to happen though is AMD and Intel Banding together. Although it's never going to happen unless Intel buys AMD out, which is very possible because AMD is dieing which actualy I don't mind at all, cause I am Intel all the way.

And if they did band together we wouldnt have to buy a motherboard speissiffic to our CPU's...

And advancements would happen much more quickly.

Also it wouldnt be Macro-Soft, it would be more like Micro-Apples...

Kent.
NEVER BEING BUDDIES? havent you seen the commercials??? they are pals!!! ROTFL

wizle

heh...heres some news for thought:

InPhase Technologies held a demonstration of a new high denisty disc in 2005 in tokyo. it is being called Tapestry Media and is a Hologragh based optical disc that will hold 300GB. they have reported releasing it sometime this year. the discs have a theoretical maximum of 1.2TB. the discs are also 1cm wider then dvds and slightly thicker.

and if that wasen't enough....
several companies are currently doing research into Holographic Versatile Disc (HVD) technology. these discs will hold 3.9tb, use a duel laser system, and have a data transfer rate of 1gb per sec. as for cost, a single disc is estimated to cost around $120 to $180, and the burner, around $15,000.

suddenly blu ray seems so cheap :p
This is the technology my post made reference to. Java was mentioned, in an article that I read, saying they were in developmental stages with this. They were as far as projecting ragged images. No where near marketing, Maybe 2010

Styrak

I hate to burst your bubble kent, but for gamers at least all wireless would be sub par, as it would increase "lag" between the device and the computer, why most hardcore gamers use wired mouses, even these days

Incorrect. Many gamers use wireless mice and the lag these days is or is very close to nil.

tlarkin

VIP Member
skimmed through this thread, some thoughts I'd like to add:

MS will start buying up linux companies to take security and eliminate open source competition. They have already started doing this.

I think the next big thing will be improved streamed data. I think DVRs will be a thing of the past very soon, and cable provider companies will just allow you to stream whatever show you want at any given time (of course time slots will still be used and you won't be able to stream something before its initial airing). I mean they already have in demand channels. I think that if a company were smart they would start implementing this, I mean cable TV as is right now is so super expensive. If you are like me, you only watch like 5 channels, but are forced to pay 100s each month for 200+ channels of crap you don't watch. Having the ability to stream sets or perhaps packages of TV stations would lower the cost to the consumer, and give them more options, and you would never have to worry about your DVR being full, or not being home to watch TV in time. You could just stream it whenever you wanted to.

I also think this same concept will be used a lot more in education, where you are streamed a live feed of your professor and perhaps even have an online class with people in Hong Kong, Tokyo, and London at the same time over the internet (of course that would be like crazy time zone changes, but you get my drift).

I think that everything is going to become more internet compatible. Soon, you'll be able to log onto the internet, turn your oven on so you can heat up dinner, start a hot bath, turn on your TV, let your dog out, etc all from an online control panel. This probably won't happen in our immidiate future, but I can see this being standard in like 15 years from now.

Tuffie

I think that everything is going to become more internet compatible. Soon, you'll be able to log onto the internet, turn your oven on so you can heat up dinner, start a hot bath, turn on your TV, let your dog out, etc all from an online control panel. This probably won't happen in our immidiate future, but I can see this being standard in like 15 years from now.

I pretty much cant wait for that. :D

Kent.

monoman

I remember seeing a gadget show special a while back in seoul in south korea, and there was this block of showhomes made by LG (yes LG!) that were fully computerized, and armed to the teeth with gadgets.

one gadget was an oven that connected to your phone via a wireless internet connection (I think the city has like a 100MB wireless connection, or something crazy like that, from any point within its walls!).

The idea was that you would put your chicken (or whatever) into the oven in the morning, and then as you were beginning your commute home, you would turn it on via your mobile phone, so it was ready when you got home; Good idea but usually when you cook something in the oven it needs some TLC while its cooking (e.g. turning over or reapplying oil/seasoning to meat etc.), so not sure what the quality of the meals would be like:confused:

there was even a fridge that automatically ordered your shopping over the net, which would then be delivered at a specified time!

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member

haha that would be awsome...but if you mean you could control them from a remote location like when your at work then someone would hack it and be able to control what happens in other peoples houses.....like 24/7 flushing toilets and lighs switching off on you when your in the dark attic:D

Tuffie

Now I really think about it I reckon that that idea would be possible now.. I don't mean like on the market, but if someone were to seriously put their mind to this project it could be easily completed.

Does anyone agree with me on this theory?

Kent.

monoman

Now I really think about it I reckon that that idea would be possible now.. I don't mean like on the market, but if someone were to seriously put their mind to this project it could be easily completed.

Does anyone agree with me on this theory?

Kent.
look at my post above^^^