What do you guys think will be the next big thing to hit the computer market?

JustinMcG67

I believe a new revolutionary style of Keyboard will be out next, like that LCD keyboard, but, much less expensive. $1,000+ for a keyboard is just overkill.

zaroba

heh...heres some news for thought:

InPhase Technologies held a demonstration of a new high denisty disc in 2005 in tokyo. it is being called Tapestry Media and is a Hologragh based optical disc that will hold 300GB. they have reported releasing it sometime this year. the discs have a theoretical maximum of 1.2TB. the discs are also 1cm wider then dvds and slightly thicker.

and if that wasen't enough....
several companies are currently doing research into Holographic Versatile Disc (HVD) technology. these discs will hold 3.9tb, use a duel laser system, and have a data transfer rate of 1gb per sec. as for cost, a single disc is estimated to cost around $120 to $180, and the burner, around $15,000.

suddenly blu ray seems so cheap :p

Sell224

Wireless Power Supplies :eek:

No more cords inside the case :)

Is that remotely physically possible? I would assume no based on what electricity is.

Froboy7391_99

maybe if we could use teleporters or something so that the electricity would go in one place and come out in another, basically no wires. However I estimate this at distant future:D

The_Beast

Wireless Power Supplies :eek:

No more cords inside the case :)

Is that remotely physically possible? I would assume no based on what electricity is.

it's possible but the two power cords would have to be sooooo close that it isn't even worth it, there is also a large amount of power lost between the two points

NCIS330

The only thing that will come out next that will be better than the computer itself is wireless internet. I mean i'm looking for another year before wireless is out.

Last edited:

Maximiliam

I would opt in for wireless anything. Wireless power along with wireless screens would be awesome. Atleast power to desk and from there it would be wireless or upon contact with the desk. I know they are already about to release contact with desk power. But ofcourse with virtually no voltage, but enough to charge your phone etc.

Tuffie

That's what I think, replacing all cables turning them all into wireless transmitters!

It would be slightly confuzing but if you colour coded them or numbered them it wouuld work good.

I don't think its ever going to happen though.

Kent.

monoman

one thing that i've been looking at for a while is 3D monitors that don't require any geeky glasses to watch. just imagine playing a 1st person shooter where bullets and rockets zip out of the monitor and fly past your face.

the DSP chip has been developed by phillips and processes the image signal not just in two dimensions but also processes a depth map in the extra 'z' dimension. Microlenses are used on the monitor to give a certain point on the image a virtual focus point, tricking the eye into beleiving it is behind or in front of the monitor.

This technology is supposedly going to support fairly high quality images and frame rates too, and have a fairly wide feild of vision, without any of the 3D effects being lost.

google search it or explore this site to find out more:

http://www.business-sites.philips.com/3dsolutions/3dtechnology/MultiviewLenticularDisplay/Index.html

I think this technology is one of the next big things!
what you reckon?

P.S.
it's possible but the two power cords would have to be sooooo close that it isn't even worth it, there is also a large amount of power lost between the two points
thats right! the only way electrical current can be wirelessly transferred is through use of magnetic feilds and induction coils, in which case one coil would be supplied with electricity, producing a magnetic field, which induces a current in the other coil. this process is too ineffcient, and the coils would have to be in close proximity anyway. also there is transfer of static electricity, (e.g. lightning), but thats a different story, and not applicable for this either

Last edited:

The_Beast

one thing that i've been looking at for a while is 3D monitors that don't require any geeky glasses to watch. just imagine playing a 1st person shooter where bullets and rockets zip out of the monitor and fly past your face.

the DSP chip has been developed by phillips and processes the image signal not just in two dimensions but also processes a depth map in the extra 'z' dimension. Microlenses are used on the monitor to give a certain point on the image a virtual focus point, tricking the eye into beleiving it is behind or in front of the monitor.

This technology is supposedly going to support fairly high quality images and frame rates too, and have a fairly wide feild of vision, without any of the 3D effects being lost.

google search it or explore this site to find out more:

http://www.business-sites.philips.com/3dsolutions/3dtechnology/MultiviewLenticularDisplay/Index.html

I think this technology is one of the next big things!
what you reckon?

P.S.

thats right! the only way electrical current can be wirelessly transferred is through use of magnetic feilds and induction coils, in which case one coil would be supplied with electricity, producing a magnetic field, which induces a current in the other coil. this process is too ineffcient, and the coils would have to be in close proximity anyway. also there is transfer of static electricity, (e.g. lightning), but thats a different story, and not applicable for this either

Woot PBS, that is where I saw a story on "wireless power"

I have seen a 3D tv at bornrich.org

Froztblade

I hate to burst your bubble kent, but for gamers at least all wireless would be sub par, as it would increase "lag" between the device and the computer, why most hardcore gamers use wired mouses, even these days (the wired mouse reaction is something like 0.3nanoseconds as the data transfer speed in cables is something like "The Speed Of Light"x10^5. And monitors would extenuate this problem, average LCD monitor has something like 9-25 millisecond delays, wireless would make this worse.

I also think that for the main consumer market anywhere beyond 8 cores would be superfluous. But thats just a opinion

Anyway, not just here to be mean about other peoples ideas :eek:

Solid State data storage sounds like it might well be impressive, as does 3d monitors.

But surely the next thing would be more interactive controls, Wii-Mote style. Or with the 3d monitor you could (in theory) have gloves which you put on which allowed you to access windows etc. in 3d as well.

just giving my $0.02

Last edited:

Tuffie

Your not bursting any bubble, but thanks for being discreet about how you said it.

But all the stuff here is a long way away I even if it does ever come around I don't think I would be getting it, I am just having fun discussing possiblitys.

Kent.

monoman

s as the data transfer speed in cables is something like "The Speed Of Light"x10^5
according to the modern physics that I have been taught no information can possibly travel faster than the speed of light, except in newer theoretical scenarios approached by quantum mechanics that are not supported by any viable proof.

But surely the next thing would be more interactive controls, Wii-Mote style.

I think you're right here; this is an area that is set to see great advancements in the near future (we have already seen innovative developments recently). A great system is not a great system simply because of its ability to process, but also the efficiency, and ease (and enjoyment in the case of gaming!) at which the user is able to give input and receive output from the system.

for that reason, I think it is important to realize that 3D monitors,12 core processors, solid-state storage devices, and innovative controllers, are all components that are just as important as each other when it comes to creating the perfect computing system. how can you differentiate between them?

tdeath101

hmm...i gonna get killed for saying this but sometime in the near future microsoft is going to screw up really bad a join with mac and create a new company called macro-soft...then after that they will create a hybrid2 computer wich will only run the new and improved operating system called Windows VOSXP (VISTA, OSX, And XP). itll have a new never before seen GUI, it will be voice controlled or mouse but both will be on 24/7, the voice control will be more advanced than ever becouse you will be able to tell comands to the computer like "Turn on" (comp turns on) "Check MAIL" (opens your hotmail.com already signed in and ready to go) and the computer logon will have voice-recognition (it remembers how your voice sounds like and logs on depending on your voice) after that AMD and Nvidia decide to partner up and the both me a GPU with two cores and 2GB of video memory. then intel is going to go bankrupt becouse of a defective new line of quad processors wich over heat and melt your heat sink plus fries out your powersupply and the only brand of processors out there will be AMD wich will take Intels idea of quads and make a mother board wich support 2 AM2 sockets and will be able to run 2 quad processors at the same time, then A-DATA will make the first 16GB Ram stick and all cases will become screwless, also the motherboard will have an intergraded harddrive of 250GB's and pata will no longer exist, only SATA. Blu-ray will become your natural 30$ drive.....i think thats all lol

Tuffie

ROFL at 'Windows VOSXP' and Macro-Soft.

I aggree that as we advance we will be able to do things such as turn our PC's on with a command.

But for some serious reason I don't ever see Apple and Microsoft ever being buddies..

One thing I do hope to happen though is AMD and Intel Banding together. Although it's never going to happen unless Intel buys AMD out, which is very possible because AMD is dieing which actualy I don't mind at all, cause I am Intel all the way.

And if they did band together we wouldnt have to buy a motherboard speissiffic to our CPU's...

And advancements would happen much more quickly.

Also it wouldnt be Macro-Soft, it would be more like Micro-Apples...

Kent.