What is your operating system?

StrangleHold

Staff member
Have systems that still run with 95/98/9SE/ME/2000/XP/Vista and 7. Mostly just use the 2000 and 7 ones anymore. Havent fired up the 95/98SE/ME and XP ones in awhile. Since the 95 days I guess 98SE/2000 and 7 has been their better OSs. Xp was the Disneyland of 2000 and Vista was the ME of 2000.

DMGrier

VIP Member
Well just bought my first Mac today so running OSX Lion now, not a bad OS if I may say. Still getting use to it, in some ways I find it harder to use then Windows or Linux but I guess it is just a different way of doing things.

Dngrsone

VIP Member
It may be that your motherboard is so old Cabinfever. If I were you I would look in to an upgrade. The Pentium 4 processor really lacks in processing power. We cannot even use them at my work. We only need to have about 15 windows open at a time for various programs for IT Help Desk support.

Pentium 4s are so very obsolete.

I would suggest looking at a system build that you could use at least an Athlon II Dual-Core Processor with.

ASUS M4A88T-M AM3 AMD 880G Micro-ATX Motherboard - $80

AMD Athlon II 250 (3.0 gigahertz) Dual-Core Processor - $52
http://www.ebay.com/itm/AMD-Athlon-...sor-/260964278552?pt=CPUs&hash=item3cc2aee118

G.SKILL NS 4 gigabytes (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) RAM - $23
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231394

You have a bit of a point, there-- I was running a P4 with 768MB RAM in my firewall with active filtering, and it was starting to bog down... just upgraded to an Athlon 3200+ with 2GB and dual GB ethernet for less than $100.

S.T.A.R.S.

banned
Microsoft Windows XP professional edition with the service pack 1,2 and 3 32-bit edition computer operating system.

2048Megabytes

You have a bit of a point, there-- I was running a P4 with 768MB RAM in my firewall with active filtering, and it was starting to bog down... just upgraded to an Athlon 3200+ with 2 gigabytes of RAM and dual GB ethernet for less than $100.

The Pentium 4 architecture just is not that good. Athlon XP Socket 462 technology was better than the Pentium 4. Only computer I have that Uses a Pentium 4 is a file server. It is not even powered on most of the time unless I am doing backups.

Dngrsone

VIP Member
The Pentium 4 architecture just is not that good. Athlon XP Socket 462 technology was better than the Pentium 4. Only computer I have that Uses a Pentium 4 is a file server. It is not even powered on most of the time unless I am doing backups.

I'm running socket 939.

cabinfever1977

I found out what was causin my cursor to freeze when typing,its internet explorer 9 that i just downloaded,still looking how to fix it.
And i dont care what anyone saids P4 is a good cpu

DMGrier

VIP Member
The P4 that was in my dads Dell was amazing. Never seen that thing ever get maxed out. Man that seems forever ago, that thing had a nvidia 6800 GT graphics card and I thought the graphics on that thing was bleeding edge.

Dngrsone

VIP Member
My socket A was two iterations back... :rolleyes:

Worked great until I had to upgrade the OS, then it just couldn't handle the extra load brought on by the content filter.

DMGrier

VIP Member
Well I am back to Windows, I had a macbook pro, iphone and apple tv for two days now and I was just not very impressed at the end of the day. Do not get me wrong, nice looking computer good looking OS but OSX started to annoy me pretty quickly with all its password requirements for itunes and admin stuff. I just felt like I was doing more work to move around the OS and moving files around. Plus Apple tv seemed pretty worthless, any movies I bought on Itunes would not show up on there unless I had my Macbook on at the same time but even then it got on my nerves cause the remote also controls the sound on the macbook. Just felt was not very well thought out and really hard to use.

So today went and returned all my Apple stuff, picked up a new pc, got my windows phone back and picked up a xbox 360 which I can stream my zune movies without my PC being on.

Last edited:

wolfeking

banned
Worked on my D630 to fix it back up. running 40GB partitions now.
1. windows 2000 pro.
2. Windows XP SP3 32 bit Pro version.
3. Vista SP2 Home Premium 32 bit.

4. going to be 8 32 bit when I am done downloading it.