What is your operating system?

wolfeking

banned
yes I mean windows 8. I think I will have to delete XP to boot it though, cause of that annoying 4 partition limit.

cabinfever1977

that was not a beta then,its been changed alot since then so i heard,around 100,000 changes in code, and the beta only came out today.

cabinfever1977

I went and put windows 8 beta (there newest build beta consumer preview) on my spare harddrive.
If you press windows key on keyboard the desktop turns into windows 7 but without start button,but it does have a taskbar where you can pin stuff to it.
And you can switch back and forth between Metro interface and windows 7 standard.
Never did find the exit button,lol,i just hit the power switch.

Last edited:

wolfeking

banned
move your mouse to the far right, settings, power.

It is not that difficult.

Installed it to my HP, good thing too, as it did not listen well and I might have ended up messing up 2000 and vista on the del if I had tried.

NyxCharon

yes I mean windows 8. I think I will have to delete XP to boot it though, cause of that annoying 4 partition limit.

Use a extended partition. Then divvy that up into two partitions. Works fine with linux and such, so I don't see why It can't be applied here.

wolfeking

banned
Windows will not boot from an extended partition. XP, Vista, and 2000 are booting on Primary, and the extended with Ubuntu (as of today) and my data partition reads as another. I am out of partitions unless there is a work around for booting windows in a extended partition.

Dngrsone

VIP Member
As I recall, you need NTLDR on a bootable primary partition, it can point to an extended partition for the actual OS.

There are plenty of tutorials out there for multiple OS boots; this might be a good place to start, though the information is a bit dated.

This one deals with booting Win 7 from an extended partition.

turbodiesel

I went and put windows 8 beta (there newest build beta consumer preview) on my spare harddrive.
If you press windows key on keyboard the desktop turns into windows 7 but without start button,but it does have a taskbar where you can pin stuff to it.
And you can switch back and forth between Metro interface and windows 7 standard.
Never did find the exit button,lol,i just hit the power switch.

can you make the windows start menu come back ?

turbodiesel

I do not see it listed in your specs, what are the system specs of your new laptop.

to be honest i don't know, haven't been on it that much but i will give it to my bro

why would i put that laptop in my Sig when it's not mine and is that slow

bkribbs

I use Lion on my laptop!

Its great. But I think macs are overpriced so I wish they could be a good bit cheaper.

DMGrier

VIP Member
to be honest i don't know, haven't been on it that much but i will give it to my bro

why would i put that laptop in my Sig when it's not mine and is that slow

I thought you said you got a new computer, wow that was from a while ago.