Votes: 262 35.7%
  • Power PC

Votes: 8 1.1%
  • other (specify)

Votes: 9 1.2%

• Total voters

Pyotr

Lorand said:
But the best computer I ever had was a 75 MHz Pentium. Never had any problems with it...
I have to second that. (I think, haven't read all pages really :rolleyes:) My old 75 Mhz just keeps rolling. I could probably throw the computer from my second floor window and it'd keep working. And that's not just the CPU.

On topic, I like AMD, mostly because the Pentium my mother owns sucks. And it sucks a lot.

aqsg72

<b>VIP Member</b>
My computer is an OEM Medion with Intel P4...3 years old now I think (is it really that old?!)?! Either way, my hands are slightly tied as the comp before that had a P2. When I build my next computer however, I'll probably take AMD. Seriously these threads do nothing but provide a ground for fanboy vs fanboy bouts :D :p

4W4K3

VIP Member
ak_hitman_47 said:
I love my Intel P4. Its more of an all around processor. AMD I think is more of a gaming processor.

i dunno...depends on what "all around" apps you use. i don't even game and i would still choose AMD, but that's just my opinion. i don't do anything like photo edit (yet...waiting on camera:) ) that would require a really fast computer anyways....i'm waiting to upgrade b4 i get into anything intense.

Lorand

<b>VIP Member</b>
Don't worry, you can do photo editing on an AMD the same way as on an Intel processor. And you don't even need very fast processor for that... only a lot of RAM.

4W4K3

VIP Member
Lorand said:
Don't worry, you can do photo editing on an AMD the same way as on an Intel processor. And you don't even need very fast processor for that... only a lot of RAM.

i was planning on another 512MB tick for my main rig. but i really wanna upgrade to 64-bit, so i think i'll save the money for that...plus i would be losing DC-moode which is alot of performance on a Athlon XP setup....migth hinder Overclock as well running full DIMM slots.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
I love my Intel P4. Its more of an all around processor
How so?

plus I would be losing DC-moode which is alot of performance on a Athlon XP setup
Not really man. A socket754 setup will eat a socket462 setup virtually hands-down. Dual channel doesnt mean jack considering the mem controller is on-die :)

4W4K3

VIP Member
Praetor said:
Not really man. A socket754 setup will eat a socket462 setup virtually hands-down. Dual channel doesnt mean jack considering the mem controller is on-die :)

lol you misunderstood, or perhaps i type bad. i meant that i didnt want another 512mb stick as i would lose DC-mode. AND i wanted to save for an A64 rig...if i got another 512mb stick i would be that much farther away from an A64 rig and i would have lost performance (i couldn't take advantage of 1GB with what i do).

ak_hitman_47

Is Intel processor really that bad?

It seems like every where I gom I keep seeing that amd is better than intel. Why is this? Is it a preference thing? Which do you prefer and why. Thanks.

flakpanzer

AMD processors are simply just far more efficient with a given clock speed:
Intel processors manage 5 intructions per clock cycle whereas AMD can manage 9 but if you want raw power the Apple G5 can pull off a stunning 12.

However clock speeds and instructions per clock cycle are not all that can affedt the performance of a processor: various own brand technologies such as HyperThreading and 3Dnow! make a difference

This figures may have changed since a last checked, but I think they're correct.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
<rant>Ok enough with the bloody intel/amd polls ... think! read! study! .... ok im obviously preaching to the wrong generation .. even though i am a part of that generation</rant>

<rant>even still... a bit of searching would have located a trillion of these things .... sigh</rant>

Ok so this is now the official "Intel/AMD-I-want-to-know-what-everyone-else-thinks-and-likes-so-I-can-make-my-decisions-based-on-their-opinions" thred :D

flakpanzer

AMD, because out of the two x86 platforms it is the most effficient: 9 instructions per clock cycle as opposed to Intels average of 5. However the G5 is the definition of raw power 12 instructions per clock cycle or "pulse".

AMDs HyperTransport technology is a serious winner as well.

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
flakpanzer said:
AMD, because out of the two x86 platforms it is the most effficient: 9 instructions per clock cycle as opposed to Intels average of 5. However the G5 is the definition of raw power 12 instructions per clock cycle or "pulse".

AMDs HyperTransport technology is a serious winner as well.

your processor choice should be depend on what you use your pc for. AMD may be more efficient but Intel still takes them to town on media applications. Now gaming and most business apps are the the inverse, AMD wins everytime but, business pretty much all run Intel because they buy their computers bulk from dell and most tech guys that work for the big corporation still think AMD is insable.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
AMD may be more efficient but Intel still takes them to town on media applications
Oh so very true however AMD is starting to grab territory here (got a whiles to go for sure, even after SSE3 becomes available to the A64 platform next year). Now it is also important to note that multimedia benchmarks which everyone puts so much faith into often compare the flagship products (like the FX55/560/EEs) and thats what people see/remember ... when you get down to the more common chips ... video ops are still Intel territory (for single CPU configs at least)

most tech guys that work for the big corporation still think AMD is insable
Heehee ... you and i both know how useful them tech guys are :p

vanp1992

Amd's 64 Top of the line ;), Anyway future processors will run at 128bits Even more, so get the 64 bits and imrpove your 32bit programs.

How do i know even though i have an Xp? My dam Brother stole my money and bought the 64