Who still uses Windows 95?

Still using Windows 95?

• Yes

Votes: 25 24.3%
  • No

Votes: 78 75.7%

• Total voters

bball4life

Yes very nice, Home premium is looking good, as long as its kind of like pro now. We'll have to see the prices when it comes out though.

bball4life

SC7 said:
I really hope I can get my hands on Vista Ultimate.
That would be nice, but be ready to fork over a few hundred bucks at least even for the oem version, if not more. You never know how high microsofts prices will be.

PC eye

banned
bball4life said:
That would be nice, but be ready to fork over a few hundred bucks at least even for the oem version, if not more. You never know how high microsofts prices will be.

Ah gee? I only paid $200- for a cd, book, and retail box when buying 98SE. I bought MSDos 6.22 along with WIN 3.1 for far less for an IBM 386. A copy of a 95 upgrade disk was given to me later when I swapped the IBM for the AST 486 in a barter for parts. I didn't even need to have 3.1 on to install 95 from the upgrade disk just by typing setup at the dos prompt while at the cd drive. I hope Vista doesn't turn out to be another flop however like ME was.

SC7

PC eye said:
Ah gee? I only paid $200- for a cd, book, and retail box when buying 98SE. I bought MSDos 6.22 along with WIN 3.1 for far less for an IBM 386. A copy of a 95 upgrade disk was given to me later when I swapped the IBM for the AST 486 in a barter for parts. I didn't even need to have 3.1 on to install 95 from the upgrade disk just by typing setup at the dos prompt while at the cd drive. I hope Vista doesn't turn out to be another flop however like ME was.
Hmm, I don't think vista will turn out to be a flop, as Microsoft is really pusihing this, and they won't release a far better kernel so soon afterwords. (this has exausted their R&D for a while). There are also a lot of things that are going to require vista, and in the end, it will do well. However, that still large population of old machines may get left behind. (Linux???). As for upgrade CDs, the original Mac OS X 10.1 update CD which was free over 10.0 for current users, actually worked as a regular installer.

PC eye

banned
The premium edition would be the one looked at here IF they ever get the IE 7.0 isues worked out that comes along with Vista. The beta version was a nightmare trying to get rid of it. That was a definite "flop" there. One main problem with that release was the "about blank" popup windows that appeared after closing out Windows Explorer windows. Right then an IE 7.0 windows would come out of nowhere. many trying that soon were forced to perform repair installs on XP systems. Back to those simple 95 days would be so much easier there. :p

m0nk3ys1ms

PC eye said:
The premium edition would be the one looked at here IF they ever get the IE 7.0 isues worked out that comes along with Vista. The beta version was a nightmare trying to get rid of it. That was a definite "flop" there. One main problem with that release was the "about blank" popup windows that appeared after closing out Windows Explorer windows. Right then an IE 7.0 windows would come out of nowhere. many trying that soon were forced to perform repair installs on XP systems. Back to those simple 95 days would be so much easier there. :p

I had nothing but problems with the IE7 betas, very unstable for me.

PC eye

banned
A sudden need for a drive wipe later to learn the bios was failing saw that removed. I've heard a number of complaints from people trying to get rid of it and back to IE 6.0! The betas were probably intended for tryout on the beta version of Vista and not geared for XP. They now have to work this out if they expect people to use that as a default browser. Gee? FireFox looks better all the time there! :p

PC eye

banned
With 95 you didn't have a default browser included. This is where MS saw a big law suit when incorporating IE in the following versions. Netscape and others then saw themselves being pushed out and filed suit. On the earlier versions upto 95 you simply had to find a browser that worked like IE 4.0 or something and stuck with that. 98 saw IE 5.0 built into it.

PC eye

banned
I run both here. When running a search with IE all you get is adbots and malwares if you hit the wrong site! The one thing missed with FireFox is the abilty to addon a toolbar of choice there. You are stuck with Google only for a search engine.

Bobo

banned
PC eye said:
The one thing missed with FireFox is the abilty to addon a toolbar of choice there. You are stuck with Google only for a search engine.
Since when? I use both Yahoo and Google toolbars in Firefox. And it uses Ask Jeeves, Dogpile, and other ones also.

diroga

i have an AMD 160(OCed) 64mb ram, 420MB HDD, trident 1mb video card and win95 4.0. it all runs extreamly slowly.

SC7

PC eye said:
I run both here. When running a search with IE all you get is adbots and malwares if you hit the wrong site! The one thing missed with FireFox is the abilty to addon a toolbar of choice there. You are stuck with Google only for a search engine.
1. There are plenty add on tool bars.
2. There are plenty built in, and ad on search extensions.

Redbull{wings}

my backup p3 computer quad-boots linux, xp, 95, and 98 all on 2 hard drives(i got bored one summer it took me a week to track down a couple new parts for the system....)

bball4life

Redbull{wings} said:
my backup p3 computer quad-boots linux, xp, 95, and 98 all on 2 hard drives(i got bored one summer it took me a week to track down a couple new parts for the system....)
Why?

Redbull{wings}

because i got bored...id nvr played with linux b4 so i loaded that....i found the origanol recover disk and wanted to see if it still worked...it did, i was playing with installing windows 98 and had fun with that then i wanted to see if it could run xp and it does(i use xp mostly just for browsing internet if theres something wrong with my gaming rig)

Viking

Every once in a while I run into someone with windows 3.1.
Run into a lot using DOS.
WIN 95 not as much as a few years ago.
win 98 is starting to disappear
I had a customer ask me once, "...how long has windows 98 been out " ?:confused: