Still using Windows 95?

• Yes

Votes: 25 24.3%
  • No

Votes: 78 75.7%

• Total voters

PC eye

banned
My old AST 486 had 32mb until that was increased to the 64mb max. The Intel chip there ran at 66mhz. Talk about some sssssllllooooowww hardware compared to an AMD64 3500+ processing XP with 2gb of ram these days.

jp198780

my older Win. 95 rig, had a 150mhz processor, with 32mb ram, and a ton of viruses 2 lol, would hardly work lol.

SC7

jp198780 said:
my older Win. 95 rig, had a 150mhz processor, with 32mb ram, and a ton of viruses 2 lol, would hardly work lol.
It's becoming increasingly hard to use 9x based systems without getting viruses. Most newer antiviruses won't run on 9x, and even fewer on 95. Now that Microsoft has stopped supporting the two, it's even more vulnerable. Hackers now know if they can find an exploit, they can use it and get at the still reasonably decent number of users out there that still are on 9x.

bball4life

My 95 machine is pretty clean, for that past few years its been in my grandpa's extra bedroom, still got some use but wasn't hooked up to the internet.

SC7

bball4life said:
My 95 machine is pretty clean, for that past few years its been in my grandpa's extra bedroom, still got some use but wasn't hooked up to the internet.
Give it some time on the internet, and that will change.

PC eye

banned
In the 9X days if anything went wrong on a drive such as a virus you simply wiped the drive and put Window right back on. If you had a major software problem the same would often be seen. But one correction is that 9X and 95 are simply part of the same. The 9X term applies to both 95 and 98. It is about 1 1/2years now since all support was dropped on 98SE. It certainly won't be much longer for ME especially when Vista is released. As far as hackers they can get into XP far easier then thought.

bball4life

SC7 said:
Give it some time on the internet, and that will change.
Won't ever be hooked up to the internet for a few reasons:
1)only has a 28.8k modem in it, and I don't have dialup anymore
2)its in my room so I would have to get another wireless card to get it to connect to my router
3)Could run a landline but that would mean buying the cable and a gigabyte modem

Both options 2 and 3 probably cost more then the computer is worth. :p

jp198780

SC7 said:
It's becoming increasingly hard to use 9x based systems without getting viruses. Most newer antiviruses won't run on 9x, and even fewer on 95. Now that Microsoft has stopped supporting the two, it's even more vulnerable. Hackers now know if they can find an exploit, they can use it and get at the still reasonably decent number of users out there that still are on 9x.

yeahh, i tooke it apart last summer :p , it's in parts on my porch, wish i kept the case though, i could've used it.

SC7

PC eye said:
and 98. It is about 1 1/2years now since all support was dropped on 98SE.
No, it happened this july 11th, as in October 2003, they extended the deadline because 30% of google's hits were on 98 machines.

SC7

PC eye said:
You could run 98SE, ME, or 2000 if not a Linux distro on the older system there. :)
98SE sounds like the best option there, assuming he doesn't want to go for linux.

PC eye

banned
Where newer versions of Windows will drag on the old hardware there Linux is one item that will readily go on even older systems then that. The one thing that Linux does seem to lack however is the cpu idle process seen in Windows and MAC. So you would have to keep busy somewhat with Linux. Adding further the MS flop known as ME... :p 98SE always worked alright here.