• I 'Hate' Vista and don't use it

Votes: 29 13.6%
  • I 'Hate' Vista but I still use it

Votes: 18 8.4%
  • I Don't mind it

Votes: 70 32.7%
  • I Love it

Votes: 64 29.9%
  • My cat's breath smells like cat food...

Votes: 33 15.4%

• Total voters

mx344

Well, i have no compaints, besides the hole ram utiliztion part of it. But it seems to do good on my 2 gigs, so no complaints.

realmike15

i upgraded about 3-4 months ago. getting drivers for my wireless card was the only initial problem. where XP tends to have little 1-2 second hang-ups when multitasking Vista does not. my only gripe was lock-ups when transferring large numbers of files, but that seems to have disappeared, maybe with one of the updates.

i understand some people may have some hostility from when it first came out, i didn't try it but i heard it wasn't running very well. whatever problems you had, a lot has changed, and i would suggest at least trying it a second time. unless you have a known hard-ware issue, it should run better than xp.

as for people with issues about how much RAM it uses. just because it has RAM cached doesn't mean anything... as soon as you run an application that needs that memory it's going to release it. i would suggest having no less than 2GB or RAM for Vista but 3GB would be more ideal if you're a big multi-tasker.

i personally have 64-bit w/ 4GB Memory... but even when i only had 2GB it still ran better than XP ever did for me.

Last edited:

speedyink

VIP Member
utorrent newest build for vista

utorrent has worked fine for me on multiple computers since I first starting using Vista at launch. It's never crashed on me either...What other software have you installed? You have a newer computer right? So all your hardware should be fine...

glenman

9 weeks ago I switched from a 4y old tower desktop, 20 gig, 250 meg ram, XP to a ShuttleX, 160 gig, 4 gig ram and Vista Ultimate.
I find 3 things very annoying that very very rarely happened with XP...
1) MSN Messenger using webcams - the cams are freezing every 3/4 minutes and I lose
Messenger connection frequently.
2) The spinning blue ring changing and using websites, this also happens with Messenger, hence slowing me down.
3) Sound cuts out (rarely though) listening to internet radio (BBC).
Is switching back to XP the only answer?

FairDoos

I know this is a really dumb question but how much RAM do i need to run Windows Vista Ultimate? Because people are telling me 3GB then people are saying 2GB then 4 but im like:confused: and my Laptop runs windows vista home premium and has only 2GB of RAM? HELP :eek::(

tlarkin

VIP Member
utorrent has worked fine for me on multiple computers since I first starting using Vista at launch. It's never crashed on me either...What other software have you installed? You have a newer computer right? So all your hardware should be fine...

I have vista and games, that is it

mx344

I know this is a really dumb question but how much RAM do i need to run Windows Vista Ultimate? Because people are telling me 3GB then people are saying 2GB then 4 but im like:confused: and my Laptop runs windows vista home premium and has only 2GB of RAM? HELP :eek::(

Your would be fine with 2.
My laptop has Ultimate and it has 3 gigs and never goes above 1 gig in normal use, and it goes to 1.5gigs while playing games.So you would be fine with 2 if you like to web browse, watch moves/music,playing games.etc.
But if you are an editor i wouldn't have anything less than 3...You should be fine with 2.:)

GSAV55

I've never really used vista for anything other than surfing the internet in a computer lab at school. I'm waiting for Windows 7

Edit:1,000th post!!! wew! (I didnt post this just for that, but I noticed it and was like, sicckkk)

N3crosis

I've never really used vista for anything other than surfing the internet in a computer lab at school. I'm waiting for Windows 7

Edit:1,000th post!!! wew! (I didnt post this just for that, but I noticed it and was like, sicckkk)

Same here, I was debating whether to go with XP or Vista, and since XP was cheaper I bought it :p. So now I'll wait until Windows 7, and see if they fixed some of the major issues of Vista, such as hogging system resources (or so I've heard).

konsole

I dont mind Vista at all. The sidebar is quite nice. The only thing I'm not crazy about is the strange location of some common things like changing the display properties or getting into the device manager.

tlarkin

VIP Member
I have no idea dude...might be a hardware issue (some sort of incompatibility) :confused:

I doubt that I just dropped 1200 on brand name components for my PC. If anything it could be crappy driver issues, but I think it just has to do with the bloated poor memory management. If you Google Vista errors it seems one common theme is among them. Half the people post online that they have the same problems while the other half say no way you're crazy mine runs with out any issues.

The hard part is with custom built PCs, it is very hard to narrow down what is causing the issue.

speedyink

VIP Member
I doubt that I just dropped 1200 on brand name components for my PC. If anything it could be crappy driver issues, but I think it just has to do with the bloated poor memory management. If you Google Vista errors it seems one common theme is among them. Half the people post online that they have the same problems while the other half say no way you're crazy mine runs with out any issues.

The hard part is with custom built PCs, it is very hard to narrow down what is causing the issue.

Thats so weird...I've used/installed Vista on so many different computers now and have yet to come across that issue on any of them. I don't know what to say dude.

MichaelPC

I am using Vista Home Edition SP1 atm. Thinking about downgrading it to XP Pro SP2. Um..I dont really hate it, it requires too much RAM, it is a little bit slower, I hate the UAC pop-up balloon even after disabling it, not very compatible with certain applications, I LOVE the interface and start menu. XP...meh I don't really like the interface. It bothers me for some reason. I like the performance =D I hate the old version of Windows Media Player and Movie maker on there.

tlarkin

VIP Member
Thats so weird...I've used/installed Vista on so many different computers now and have yet to come across that issue on any of them. I don't know what to say dude.

It seems more common if you have 4 or more gigs of RAM from what Google searches have told me.

Carla456

I don't like Vista because it's slower and requires much RAM. New PCs work far better with old versions such as XP. Vista is not successful and there are a lot of bugs, for instance with iTunes, WMP...a lot of things are not compatible with it.

tlarkin

VIP Member
I don't like Vista because it's slower and requires much RAM. New PCs work far better with old versions such as XP. Vista is not successful and there are a lot of bugs, for instance with iTunes, WMP...a lot of things are not compatible with it.

WMP works in Vista. What do you mean?